Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkSealey View Post
    Our new host, however, is - we are confident - even more stable. I've had a site and email with them since 1999. Very little downtime… maybe a minute or two every few years!

Our new host is expanding, we shall be running on Ubuntu and have 24/7 tech support. What's more, the new forum (and FoR3 site) are hosted in Denver, Colorado, which is considered the safest place in the US… furthest from tornadoes, hurricanes, floods and earthquakes.
    Thanks to everyone for your hard work here. The site seems to be running faster too, not that this was a major issue before.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

The Favourites (bookmarks) icon for For3 appears at the top of my Chrome or Firefox browser every time I open it, along with about 40 other sites I regularly visit. One click and we're in. Not sure how much space they use but it takes a matter of milliseconds to click and open. Alternative is to start typing "for3" and the rest of the url appears automatically. Can't see why all the need for searching faff...
      I realised that sometimes I do just click on an image in a favourites page - but that's no good if the screen is cluttered with lots of windows - in which case I can type a search term in very quickly, and get to the site. Also, I do have a few different computers with different browsers. I just do whatever is easiest for me at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        I just do whatever is easiest for me at the time.
        Yes, I seem to be alone in liking to keep my bookmarks sidebar permanently open, with the top 25 or so permanently visible. They're synced on both machines so it doesn't matter which one I'm using.

Not sure how we got to this point in the thread. Typical!
        Last edited by french frank; 05-07-23, 10:47.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Yes, I seem to be alone in liking to keep my bookmarks sidebar permanently open, with the top 25 or so permanently visible. They're synced on both machines so it doesn't matter which one I'm using.

Not sure how we got to this point in the thread. Typical!
          I think we started at 120 or the page before that, then 147 with a few others thrown in at various points. The issue before 120 was whether the site was going to disappear - due to the updates, and how would we find it again, hence the possible need for a search mechanism to locate the new site. Perhaps there might have been a need for a name change. It wasn't specifically about locating the site under "normal" circumstances when we believe it to be up and running. It appears that there isn't going to be any problem re locating the site - as the domain name belongs to/is supported by one member, so that probably won't change.

I don't personally do syncing - how do you do it? I'm reluctant to use any mechanism which gives any external 3rd party organisation extra information about my kit, location etc., though I know that some browsers - such as Firefox do cross machine syncing, and of course Apple also supports that kind of thing - but although I use Apple kit and software - some of which is excellent - I don't like sharing my whole life with Apple or any other organisation.

Comment

Fourth Backup 9pm 05-07-2023

Just another advance warning: we'll be carrying out another precautionary backup at 9pm this evening. Likely 'down-time' is 20 minutes.

Comment

Just to add my thanks to Andrew, Mark and ff for all your efforts and technical and customer service expertise!

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                Just to add my thanks to Andrew, Mark and ff for all your efforts and technical and customer service expertise!
                A cheer to the echo from here too.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                  A cheer to the echo from here too.
                  Me too!

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                    ... and many thanks from me as well.

Comment

Backup complete!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                        Backup complete!
                        Five minutes to spare this time!
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Hurray! Brill stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                            Car-T definitely state of the art. Best wishes
                            Nice to have more reassurance from someone so knowledgeable. Thanks, Richard !

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Five minutes to spare this time!
                              Getting the hang of it? Practice makes perfect.

Comment

Great that this forum has survived and was up and running again so quickly.Just one question:I can't see how one starts a new thread or topic. Is this disabled for the time being or am I having a grey moment?!

Comment

Working...
                                X