Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Is there going to be a backup of any of the latest posts, before the switch over? If not, then it may not be worth too much interaction in the next few days - though depending on how backups etc. are done, it may all go very seamlessly with hardly any loss of posts, or even 100% success.

Good luck with it all and thanks for the efforts.
    The aim is for no loss of posts at all - a final backup will be made after the forum has been taken off line on Wednesday, before the move. Whether this aim is met remains to be seen, of course: it depends on whether FutureQuest pull the plug between backups. We're making daily backups to minimise the loss of data in such an eventuality.

Comment

Huge thanks, FF, Andrew & others.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
        The aim is for no loss of posts at all - a final backup will be made after the forum has been taken off line on Wednesday, before the move. Whether this aim is met remains to be seen, of course: it depends on whether FutureQuest pull the plug between backups. We're making daily backups to minimise the loss of data in such an eventuality.
        We really don’t deserve you Andrew ……

Comment

Two points:

1) It does seem that if you go away and stay in a tent in the remote highlands of Scotland for a week, you should come back to normality, unaware that anything has happened. At any rate the red banner Alert: The forums are currently turned off will show at the top of the page (as it did yesterday) while Things are going on.

PS NB You may not see the red banner as that may be for admins only. But you will see a message about disruptions.

2) It would be very good to take advantage of the numerous offers to contribute - and give members a real, 'moral' investment in their forum (only the unchanged domain name will reflect the original connection with FoR3). I'll see if I can set up a temporary system, and once the move has taken place there will be a better idea of on-going costs necessitated by moving the entire forum, not just setting up a new free forum somewhere else. If nothing else, the move will give us a breathing space to think again.
          Last edited by french frank; 03-07-23, 10:03.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Oh dear And just before the Proms, too, now that everything's getting back to normal. If anybody’s uncomfortable about this or just wonders why life always seems so unfair here’s an online article that goes some way, but not very far, to explaining. It’s dated 22 April 2022, and so fairly recent:

6 Reasons Social Media Killed Online Forums

If you’re short of time the main headings are:

1. A Lack of Innovation from Forum Owners
            2. Social Media is Designed to be Attention Grabbing
            3. Forums Seem Outdated
            4. Forums Seem to be Dedicated Around One Subject
            5. Apps are More User Friendly
            6. The Rise of Facebook Groups

To that, I would add that Forums need moderators. There is something about the online forum experience that seems to intensify and polarise social attitudes, leading some contributors to become very angry and upset, usually for no good reason. That leads to misunderstandings, complaints and members leaving or getting suspended. I have never been a moderator myself but I have every sympathy and a lot of admiration for those who have. Policing a forum 24/7 must be a horrible job.

I am not a big fan of social media, mainly because of its effect on the vulnerable, like the numerous appalling crimes and tragedies it's causing worldwide, particularly among young people, the Mollie Russell case and the Archie Battersbee Tiktok challenge case to name just two high profile cases.

Would I join a Facebook Group? Might do. Under protest. I suppose. I'll miss the for3 birthday card
            And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
              I'll miss the for3 birthday card
              Heh, heh! With a bit of luck you should get your card as usual

One reason given there for the demise of online forums seems to me to be the very reverse of what has kept us going for almost 13 years: "4. Forums Seem to be Dedicated Around One Subject". Focusing on Radio 3 (and the Proms), no matter how many have lost interest in listening, has been our USP. Radio 3 and the Proms will continue and people will be attracted to them - and to an online forum that is dedicated to them. It's why we continue to get new members, especially as the Proms season approaches. We provide what the BBC used to provide - successfully - a messageboard dedicated to their content.

Worry not - the Facebook page will be deleted ASAP when this little local difficulty has been settled (one way or the other).
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

With you all they way, FF - and Mr Slater, of course!

Comment

Best wishes and thanks to you, Andrew and Mark for your sterling work on this.

On the question of FB Groups, I have joined a few, over the past couple of years and, so far, have not suffered any unfortunate experiences as a result. Maybe it's just that I join the 'wrong' type of groups, where contributors are generally civil and moderation is well managed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

On the question of FB Groups, I have joined a few, over the past couple of years and, so far, have not suffered any unfortunate experiences as a result. Maybe it's just that I join the 'wrong' type of groups, where contributors are generally civil and moderation is well managed.
                    This is my experience too. The key is to give as few personal details about yourself as you can, avoid confrontation and contentious subjects, ignore trolls and block anyone you wish.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      This is my experience too. The key is to give as few personal details about yourself as you can, avoid confrontation and contentious subjects, ignore trolls and block anyone you wish.
                      I follow a couple of groups but seldom contribute. The thing about forums like this is that they are structured. You can contribute to or read any particular forum or sub forum, contribute to particular threads and ignore others (I never look at the Favourite Jokes ). Discussions - in spite of the OT diversions - can follow coherent arguments for longer than a couple of exchanges. In theory (don't know if it happens) two people could carry on an absorbing debate by PM without fear of interruption.

Leaving aside the generous offers to contribute financially if needed, it is very gratifying to know that forumites have appreciated this forum enough to want to see it continue.

I might add on the 'Single Topic' point: I may not listen to R3 now, but I am still interested in it - in its past, its potential and, if I were determined, I could find quite a few programmes that would interest me. But.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Best wishes and thanks to you, Andrew and Mark for your sterling work on this.

Indeed - should the forum move be delayed the temporary solution could be a closed fb group and on messenger.

Comment

Very grateful for all the work being put in but it did occur to me just how much use people get out of the archive of former posts.? Perhaps a wipe of the slate would be intellectually liberating. I very very occasionally go back into old fora but it did occur to me that a lot of time is being spent on backing up material that is rarely viewed . And I speak as an inveterate hoarder. Others may of course spend a lot time reviewing past posts and I would not want to spoil their pleasure. I guess the obvious exception would be the BAL posts and the Proms archive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                            Very grateful for all the work being put in but it did occur to me just how much use people get out of the archive of former posts.? Perhaps a wipe of the slate would be intellectually liberating. I very very occasionally go back into old fora but it did occur to me that a lot of time is being spent on backing up material that is rarely viewed . And I speak as an inveterate hoarder. Others may of course spend a lot time reviewing past posts and I would not want to spoil their pleasure. I guess the obvious exception would be the BAL posts and the Proms archive.
                            Not sure, but maybe the alternative is setting up an identically structured board (usual forums and subforums), attracting new members from scratch &c. What actually is in the database? If we had to set up a similarly structured board, who would do it?

Like you, I'm not a hoarder and can't see that it would matter if we lost a few days posts which hadn't been backed up. I happily empty my PM boxes without feeling a need to keep a huge number which I would never need/want to consult again. I'd throw out all my tattered clothes from the wardrobe if I didn't still wear them.

It took quite a while to set up this forum from the standard vBulletin blue format and I'm not sure that we could empty the forum of the content and move a structural shell to 'wipe the slate', though the concept in theory could be quite liberating, I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Not sure, but maybe the alternative is setting up an identically structured board (usual forums and subforums), attracting new members from scratch &c. What actually is in the database? If we had to set up a similarly structured board, who would do it?

Like you, I'm not a hoarder and can't see that it would matter if we lost a few days posts which hadn't been backed up. I happily empty my PM boxes without feeling a need to keep a huge number which I would never need/want to consult again. I'd throw out all my tattered clothes from the wardrobe if I didn't still wear them.

It took quite a while to set up this forum from the standard vBulletin blue format and I'm not sure that we could empty the forum of the content and move a structural shell to 'wipe the slate', though the concept in theory could be quite liberating, I agree.
                              No FF I’m a terrible hoarder ! I think the format of the forum is reasonably clear and navigable if you have a working knowledge of the R3 schedule - I was just thinking whether these millions (?) of past posts were worth the server space - how much people do revisit them ? But I’m not the one to ask as I have several terabytes of video rushes stored on drives all over the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                                Very best wishes for a swift recovery MickyD. Very glad to hear that you are being well looked after.
                                Seconed

Comment

Working...
                                X