No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eudaimonia View Post
    is a social strategy.
    I agree. I don't fall out with people I have to work with. But you never know when minds won't change, or what they may change about. Crumbs, they may even start publishing the breakfast playlists in advance, with timings, again if listeners say that's what they want

I don't blame anyone for trying things out. But it would be crass to persist with something if listeners - your audience that you're producing the programmes for - objected.

Why wouldn't they do another composer blockbuster? Well, there isn't a big enough name left to capture the imagination of le grand public. Move on. Try something else, why not?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      ... there isn't a big enough name left to capture the imagination of le grand public. Move on. Try something else, why not?
      Eh? I'd be Surprised if the general public might not regard Papa Haydn as such a name, and unlike Beethoven, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Webern, Mozart et al, I don't think any record company has yet release a complete Haydn edition, so such a project might at least attract the completist anorak audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Eudaimonia View Post
        Sometimes, we don't have any choice: times change whether we approve or not. And if you can't accept it, at least you can acknowledge it!
        Appeasement has never been the British way.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          so such a project might at least attract the completist anorak audience.
          I'm quite sure it would. But I'm not so sure that's the audience 'we' are targeting
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            and unlike Beethoven, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Webern, Mozart et al, I don't think any record company has yet release a complete Haydn edition, so such a project might at least attract the completist anorak audience.
            Is there a complete Tchaikovsky Edition?

I wonder why Brilliant Classics issued an incomplete Haydn Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Crumbs...
              If Beeb execs see that word, the cads will use it as evidence that we're all senile crackpots who treasure their cloth bound Richmal Cromptons and Peaches Melba 78s - and cripes, whose views can always be safely ignored!

Comment

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                If Beeb execs see that word, the cads will use it as evidence that we're all senile crackpots who treasure their cloth bound Richmal Cromptons and Peaches Melba 78s - and cripes, whose views can always be safely ignored!
                Steady on - That hurts! (Or should I say 'Yaroo!'?)

Comment

I'm quite sure it would. But I'm not so sure that's the audience 'we' are targeting
                  Well if you'll indulge a spot of Devil's Advocacy, what's wrong with any and or/all the following?

1. Tchaikovsky
                  2. Schubert
                  3. Debussy
                  4. Ravel
                  5. Brahms

Comment

I reckon Brahms or Schubert will be the next composer to receive blanket coverage.

Comment

Schubert is more marketable

Comment

There's more Schubert than Brahms so they'd probably go for him first, but hopefully they'll be no more fests. Though a series concentrating on the less well known works of Haydn and Schubert would be interesting.

Comment

Does anyone know how long a Telemannfest would last. I know he's supposed to be the most prolific composer of all, but allowning for the vast number of lost works, would his overall timin exceed Mozart's?

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            Does anyone know how long a Telemannfest would last?
                            Too long!

Comment

Is there a complete Tchaikovsky Edition?

I wonder why Brilliant Classics issued an incomplete Haydn Edition.
                              Telefunken-Decca did so with IIRC 15 6 to 8 LP-sets, including all the Dorati symphonies. ditto operas, the complete string quartets. sonatas, concertos, masses and other religious pieces, etc.
                              Far from complete (hardly any Scottish songs or Baryton trios e.g.), but it was considered a milestone.
                              Shortly afterwards Vivaldi received a similar treatment by Philips in 1978, as did Mozart (an Edition consisting of 16 multiple-LP sets, but without e.g. half of the operas)
                              JSBach was subjected by DGG/Archiv in 1975, Beethoven by Eterna (really complete, 100odd LPs) and DGG in 1970, repeated in 1977

Brahms got his first (nearly complete) edition in 1983 (DGG), Mozart on Philips in 1991 (IIRC the first complete edition of any composer on CD, ), in 1997 DGG celebrated its centenary with the Complete Beethoven Edition (and in the mean time two other complete Beethovens have seen the light of day), JSBach followed in 2000 (twice !).

Recently we saw Messiaen getting that treatment too, btw (DGG)

Sibelius will follow suit, really complete, on appr. 65 CDs by BIS

AFAIK there doesn't exist a Complete Tchaikovsky.
                              A complete Schubert starts coming within reach now, and Liszt cannot be far off either (both thanks to Hyperion).
                              Last edited by Guest; 29-01-11, 17:45. Reason: adding Beethoven DGG 1997

Comment

Does anyone know how long a Telemannfest would last. I know he's supposed to be the most prolific composer of all, but allowning for the vast number of lost works, would his overall timin exceed Mozart's?
                                IIRC to the question whether Brilliant was considering e.g. a complete set of Telemann cantatas, the answer was (paraphrased): We would like to, but the cantatas only would take some 300CDs. A bit too much we are afraid.

Comment

Working...
                                X