Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
    I'm not doing so badly! I think a lot of people might feel a little overwhelmed or intimidated by this particular forum, due to its variety of points to be discussed and the wealth of knowledge of its users.

As a fairly "tempered" forum user I didn't let that put me off, especially at the beginning.

Plus where else am I supposed to ask silly questions about classical music, or discuss R3 programmes, contents and presenter(ess)s ??

As a boarder of relative longevity I think your initial sentence may well be true. Depends which parts of the board you hang out in though...

... no names, no pack drill!

OG

Comment

I won't post here in future, but I'm responding to what's already been said in order to provide feedback.

These kinds of messageboards have 'gate-keepers' who are hyper-vigilant for 'transgressive' thinking; i.e. that which doesn't follow the hegemonic line of the group. This is what happened to me when I made a perfectly innocent comment about Strauss - who gets such a bad press. Instead of giving the benefit of the doubt tone instantly became hostile and censorious. I just don't need this, I'm afraid.

In the true spirit of 'community'participation, people should be given the benefit of the doubt and you can pat yourselves on the back about all the 'knowledge' you have - I have postgraduate qualifications in music. But I just don't have to tolerate rudeness, particularly when none is offered from me. You can all continue to talk amongst yourselves. A hint: interpersonal skills go a long way in this world.
      Last edited by Guest; 15-06-14, 07:44. Reason: typos

Comment

It is a pity that you don’t like this forum but never mind, there are millions of other online ‘communities’ you can choose unlike the community you live in. Next time you try a forum, avoid jumping in with a negative or critical post until you know the group better, as you are bound to offend some members. Interpersonal skills take two sides to work. However, I don’t think anybody here is all that seriously offended by this thread, so why don’t you stay a little longer and see how things work? Most of us have been criticised, told off, being laughed at and all the rest at least once or twice. It’s the nature of the beast as you might say, and this forum isn’t all that bad once you get to know it.
        Last edited by doversoul1; 15-06-14, 09:00.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
          It is a pity that you don’t like this forum but never mind, there are millions of other online ‘communities’ you can choose unlike the community you live in. Next time you try a forum, avoid jumping in with a negative or critical post until you know the group better, as you are bound to offend some members. Interpersonal skills take two sides to work. However, I don’t think anybody here is all that seriously offended by this thread, so why don’t you stay a little longer and see how things work? Most of us have been criticised, told off, being laughed at and all the rest at least once or twice. It’s the nature of the beast as you might say, and this forum isn’t all that bad once you get to know it.
          Well said ds.

I'd prefer you to stay, Krystal

Comment

To which one might respectfully add that it can be 'the nature of the beast' for people to take offence at one person, one post, on one single occasion and condemn all others out of hand. It may be natural but it isn't entirely logical. On another occasion, you thanked everyone for their 'brilliant' replies ...

This kind of comment might not have been found altogether endearing.

However, this is primarily a forum for Radio 3 matters so may not be entirely suitable to your purposes. There are many other stations on the internet which may also have a forum to contribute to.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
              Looking at some of the spats on these boards I don't think Krystal was really out of line jumping in with a bash at JSt, but then should not have been surprised that not everyone agreed - I often go for long periods when my comments are ignored or disagreed with - but that's life - vive la difference!

Comment

Many of the contributors to this forum have got to know each other quite well (in "forum" terms) over the years and I suspect that these MBs might appear to be a little cliquey by someone who is new to it.

Surely expressing a view shouldn't be regarded as "jumping in with a negative or critical post" - the exchange of opinions is what the forum is about.

(By the way, I was never amused by Rik Mayall either - just not my kind of humour.)

I do hope you stick around, Krystal.

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                  (By the way, I was never amused by Rik Mayall either - just not my kind of humour.)
                  (Nor was I, but I didn't add my comment to the tribute thread - and I don't think you did.)
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

As I said earlier, just as long as everyone agrees with the prevailing ideology everything will be alright. And you're right - there are other better messageboards with contributors who have a great deal of tolerance, intelligence and authority. I should stick with one in particular.

Thank you, Hornspieler, for your gracious and intelligent PM!! Cheerio.

Comment

Originally posted by Krystal View Post
                      As I said earlier, just as long as everyone agrees the prevailing ideology everything will be alright. And you're right - there are other better messageboards with contributors who have a great deal of tolerance and authority.

Thank you, Hornspieler, for your gracious and intelligent PM!! Cheerio.

Hmm, not much chance of your having joined in the spirit of the community here while mounted on that high horse I'm sorry to say.

Comment

This is rather distressing - that a new member should feel alienated by a reaction to a single word in a post. Yet there are a few regular posters who provoke others on a more or less daily basis.
                        Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Looking down the 'Hello' thread, there are sevjeral enthusiastic joiners who haven't gone on to be particularly active. I wonder if any are reading, and might say why...

I had rather hoped the controversy had died down.

Comment

Originally posted by Krystal View Post
                          As I said earlier, just as long as everyone agrees with the prevailing ideology everything will be alright. And you're right - there are other better messageboards with contributors who have a great deal of tolerance, intelligence and authority.
                          There is always a lighter side to this: in 15 years I only once joined a new board and was instantly branded a 'troll'. I was soon informed of my heinous sin and I quietly withdrew (from one of the Radio 4 boards). And I remember our very own Flay once venturing into Radio 2 land and stepping straight on to a hornet's nest.

These things do happen. In retrospect there isn't much to do but laugh. And decide what you really want yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Hmm, not much chance of your having joined in the spirit of the community here while mounted on that high horse I'm sorry to say.
                            The spirit of the community includes the spirit of new members, as long as they respect House Rules, which was not even an issue in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              The spirit of the community includes the spirit of new members, as long as they respect House Rules, which was not even an issue in this case.
                              Indeed, but the tolerance flag waved in Petrushka's face seems a little out of place given the lack of reciprocation on Krystal's part.

Comment

Shall we draw a line under this? Krystal is welcome to stay - she's experienced the friendliness of the forum as well as its sharper edge.

Comment

Working...
                                X