This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    I always liked that place, it had a very progressive and interesting music department which I had the opportunity to visit a few times for concerts and academic events, until said department was closed down by beancounters... so now yes, it's a waste of space as far as I'm concerned. (I'm an alumnus of UCL which sadly has never had a music department.) As for Midsomer Murders, I've occasionally watched that with my mother, and thought to myself that surely by now there must only be half a dozen or so people left living there!
    Not the same I know but it is currently much involved with matters Covid.
    The loss of the Music School still rankles locally due to the impact on the city's music scene quite apart from the wider effects.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      I don't actually recall reading any previous messages - on-screen or private - from a Forum member who apparently attended a not-that-special redbrick university in the 1960s - at least it wasn't one of those dreadful 'plate-glass' institutions like *ss*x or - even worse - *** (you know, the one just outside N*rw*ch).

Did I not mention that he/she/it/they was/were advising me of a comment somebody else had made about me - possibly somebody on my Ignore List?

I'll happily respond to #132 when I've got my head round it, but my initial impression is that it reads like a synopsis of the plot of a depressing number of episodes of the Eternal Recurrence that is Midsomer Murders.
      What an appallingly snobbish comment, like your earlier one on Harry Maguire (a star of England's 2018 World Cup Campaign), who you described as a "semi-literate footballer" after seeing him on the BBCNews....what terribly dated sneering condescension, especially from someone on a "Radio 3 Forum".

My initial degree was at UEA... bold 1960s architecture in beautiful grounds in a gorgeous city (I lodged in an attic under the shadow of the cathedral), with countryside, shingle beaches, estuaries, bird reserves, wildlife of every kind nearby and beyond..... I would walk for miles around them, thinking about... Bruckner, Laforgue, Mallarmé...
      The design of the pyramidial residential blocks allowed everyone the luxury of having their own sun-drenched balcony...

I went there as a mature student, after years of miserable underachievement and isolation. I thrived in its freedom and won prizes, and started to lead seminars as an undergraduate...(first one on the aforementioned Baudelaire Le Voyage...).
      I need no apology but I think you should offer one to Harry Maguire and all the football fans here.

"The deed's creature"?
      Simply that we are all the continuously evolving creations of what we do, whether murder, thinking, composing or posting on social media. Our fluid identities are the creation of our actions, experiences; thoughts, words and - deeds. Your identity is often limited by your available vocabulary: verbal visual musical and emotional.

But of course we tend to think of ourselves as "fixed identities" under pressures of social convenience, belonging and "fitting in", and preferring not to flirt with insanity....
      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 18-09-20, 13:45.

Comment

As for Midsomer Murders, I've occasionally watched that with my mother, and thought to myself that surely by now there must only be half a dozen or so people left living there!
        ....In fact Cov19 has wiped out many of those who were highlighted for later murder....

....NORWICh....fab'....
        bong ching

Comment

Thanks Bryn and oddoneout for those corrective comments regarding that institution.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            What an appallingly snobbish comment, like your earlier one on Harry Maguire (a star of England's 2018 World Cup Campaign), who you described as a "semi-literate footballer" after seeing him on the BBCNews....what terribly dated sneering condescension, especially from someone on a "Radio 3 Forum".

My initial degree was at UEA... bold 1960s architecture in beautiful grounds in a gorgeous city (I lodged in an attic under the shadow of the cathedral), with countryside, shingle beaches, estuaries, bird reserves, wildlife of every kind nearby and beyond..... I would walk for miles around them, thinking about... Bruckner, Laforgue, Mallarmé...
            The design of the pyramidial residential blocks allowed everyone the luxury of having their own sun-drenched balcony...

I went there as a mature student, after years of miserable underachievement and isolation. I thrived in its freedom and won prizes, and started to lead seminars as an undergraduate...(first one on the aforementioned Baudelaire Le Voyage...).
            I need no apology but I think you should offer one to Harry Maguire and all the football fans here.

"The deed's creature"?
            Simply that we are all the continuously evolving creations of what we do, whether murder, thinking, composing or posting on social media. Our fluid identities are the creation of our actions, experiences; thoughts, words and - deeds. Your identity is often limited by your available vocabulary: verbal visual musical and emotional.

But of course we tend to think of ourselves as "fixed identities" under pressures of social convenience, belonging and "fitting in", and preferring not to flirt with insanity....
            Elephant trap now full! (Sorry about that ..... )
            (If one is going to have fund and games, it's essential to sound convincing...)
            Kind regards
            LMcD (Lower Second in Modern Languages, Southampton University 1965-1969).
            P.S. I did contact Harry Maguire, and he said 'No bovver, mate, it's all a bit of a larf, innit?'

Comment

Elephant trap now full!
              Happy now?

Comment

Happy now?
                Borderline ecstatic, thanks (and buoyed up by supportive PMs).

Comment

"The deed's creature"?

Thanks for the biographical info.

Comment

Borderline ecstatic, thanks (and buoyed up by supportive PMs).
                    Both our children very sensibly refused to consider Essex or the UEA - not on academic grounds, but because they were too close to home!

I was the first person in my depressingly unambitious family to attend university, which I entered with the help of a wildly overenthusiastic non-academic reference at the age of 21. My professor's last words to me were 'You needn't feel disappointed - we had you marked down for a Lower Second the minute you walked in'.

I don't think the occasional parodic wind-up does any harm - anything to lighten the mood in these troublous times, eh? Mine are usually pretty easy to spot.
                    Last edited by LMcD; 18-09-20, 16:13.

Comment

Elephant trap now full! (Sorry about that ..... )
                      (If one is going to have fund and games, it's essential to sound convincing...)
                      Kind regards
                      LMcD (Lower Second in Modern Languages, Southampton University 1965-1969).
                      P.S. I did contact Harry Maguire, and he said 'No bovver, mate, it's all a bit of a larf, innit?'
                      So you are happy to reduce this forum to the level of twitter or Facebook, where no-one cares if its truth or dare or lies, selfish-selfpromotion or political cynicism, so long as those of you who within their self love or selfhatred have stopped caring whether you tell the truth, or whether anyone else does, has a good laugh or mocks other people? And all behind a cowardly anonymity?

That being the case, what is the point of FoR3 anymore if this is all there is?

I'll try to continue to share music and the love of music, but maybe not for much longer here...

Comment

So you are happy to reduce this forum to the level of twitter or Facebook, where no-one cares if its truth or dare or lies, selfish-selfpromotion or political cynicism, so long as those of you who within their self love or selfhatred have stopped caring whether you tell the truth, or whether anyone else does, has a good laugh or mocks other people? And all behind a cowardly anonymity?

That being the case ,what is the point of FoR3 anymore if this is all there is?

I'll try to continue to share music and the love of music, but maybe not for much longer here...
                        An anonymous coward, proud owner of a 'Countdown' teapot, one-time finalist in Radio 4's 'Counterpoint' (in Ned Sherrin's day) and active supporter of many charities, in particular one that supports parents of children who have been told that their child's life-span is to be cruelly short, who apparently also manages to be filled with self-love AND self-hatred, writes:
                        Sorry, Miss - I thought (wrongly, it appears) that I might be entitled to a little levity. Can I take it you'd like me to take myself and my harmless wit elsewhere?
                        Last edited by LMcD; 18-09-20, 17:53.

Comment

That being the case, what is the point of FoR3 anymore if this is all there is?

One person doth not a world make.........

Comment

Sorry - forgot the smiley!

Comment

Caliban is not alone, it seems in undergoing a sea change. This thread seems to have veered off some distance from its initial intent. Though to be honest, I'm not quite sure where it might have gone while remaining vaguely on topic. But somewhere slightly less fraught perhaps. I muse only, as a very elderly and infirm member, I hope, may
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                Caliban is not alone, it seems in undergoing a sea change. This thread seems to have veered off some distance from its initial intent. Though to be honest, I'm not quite sure where it might have gone while remaining vaguely on topic. But somewhere slightly less fraught perhaps. I muse only, as a very elderly and infirm member, I hope, may

Indeed. The point of the announcement has been appreciated and discussed. Now it has veered off-topic for the second time. Room for discussion of these other topics elsewhere. This thread is now closed.

Comment

Working...
                                X