Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    I suggest that it's more than a perception: it's an expression of a value placed in 'something much more complex, more profound, more detailed, more beyond the usual' which has intrinsic cultural significance [...] comfortable with the expression of a profoundly affectionate, mildly academic love and respect for the music and its composers.
    Yes, I think I'd buy that.

I have a sense that dumbed down TV, radio or anything else is for people who aren't actually interested in anything.
    It was Philip Hensher who said that the BBC arts programming is targeted on people who aren't at all interested and failing to reach those who are.
    I would deliberately NOT use the phrase "dumbing down" as like "PC" it seems to be applied in such a scatter gun approach to be meaningless.
    Not exactly meaningless, but perhaps having a meaning that is relative to the speaker rather than an absolute meaning. I think these comments here come up with the suggestion that the term, as used generally, refers to the methods used to make content 'accessible'. Having celebrities on air admitting they don't know anything about Schubert but are willing to give him a go may make Schubert 'accessible' by encouraging people who also know nothing about his music to give him a go. But for people who are looking for deeper insights this sort of programme is exasperating. The audience that is encouraged by Chris Evans is a Radio 2 audience, not a Radio 3 audience. It wouldn't be 'dumbing down' on Radio 2. But it's legitimate to consider it 'dumbing down' on Radio 3 because there is an audience which expects something more substantial.

a great way of describing what they do as being available (i.e accessible) for anyone but not necessarily FOR everyone
    Yes, but I'm not sure that 'available' and 'accessible' are the same thing. Everything that is on Radio 3 is available to the listening public; but apparently not accessible to all. It would be my contention that the people that it's FOR don't need to have it made 'accessible' - they'll persevere with it because they feel it's worth the effort.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

It's striking a balance I guess. I too hate the celebrity endorsements which i just see as patronising. I think a good example of the correct balance being sought is Composer ofthe Week. Which tells the story of the composers and their music in an accessible yet rigorous way. I must admit Radio 3 lurches from the ultra intellectual to the ultra populist in vast swings and nowhere was this more so than in the Schubert season. Some programming was clearly aimed at educated connoiseurs and others for first time listeners. It must be a difficult job to strike a balance but i am glad that Radio 3 does challenging programmes. It is something that a commercial station could never do.

Anyway to the original poster it could have been much worse. Imagine if Classic FM did this it would be "Smoooooth Schubert at Seven in association with Silent Night" or something like that

Comment

Originally posted by French frank
        The problem with the Schubertfest was that there were no clear signposts: a weekly programme about Schubert by Graham Johnson and friends would have stood out in the normal schedule as of outstanding quality and been something to follow. The jingles are there to act as a station/event ident for people who are tuning in randomly without no real idea of what's on. Their omnipresence gives the impression of an undifferentiated mass. Sandwiched between Schubert and Schubert, Graham Johnson and friends get lost.
        Couldn’t agree more. By the way, do we know the BBC’s official aim for this event?
        But why is this thread on the Welcome Board?

Originally posted by Mattbod
        Imagine if Classic FM did this
        I expect CFM knows that playing just one composer for days on end will definitely lose listeners no matter what interactive frills and attractions are served up with it. This leads to a question: did Radio 3 do this because it was so committed to Shubert’s music even though it knew it would lose listeners? It makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
          By the way, do we know the BBC’s official aim for this event?
          Do they ever tell us anything we want to know?
          But why is this thread on the Welcome Board?
          Watch this space - I'll move it to the Talking About Music board
          This leads to a question: did Radio 3 do this because it was so committed to Shubert’s music even though it knew it would lose listeners? It makes no sense.
          One can but guess. R3's main aim is to attract new listeners, not to keep old ones. That seems to be why virtually all the peak-time listening is now focused on them.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Caught a bit of Breakfast today Switched off at the phone in... and realised that Clemency Burton-Hill's is the unctuous sugary-smiley voice used in the worst of the Schubert adverts

"Schubert - because you're worth it"

Awful
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Slightly off-topic - but we just had an abrupt transition, during CDR, from the final chorus of the St Matthew Passion to an advert for a programme on Doubt. I'm moderately interested in listening to that and glad to know of it, but following transcendental music with a trailer including the voice of, I think, Van Morrison, was just crass.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Caught a bit of Breakfast today Switched off at the phone in... and realised that Clemency Burton-Hill's is the unctuous sugary-smiley voice used in the worst of the Schubert adverts

You mean - multi-talented actress, writer, violinist and journalist Clemency Burton-Hill? 2007 - seems a lifetime ago

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  Slightly off-topic - but we just had an abrupt transition, during CDR, from the final chorus of the St Matthew Passion to an advert for a programme on Doubt. I'm moderately interested in listening to that and glad to know of it, but following transcendental music with a trailer including the voice of, I think, Van Morrison, was just crass.
                  That hit me as well! Particularly unwanted, even by the normal standards of these ubiquitous trails.

Comment

“ Is that the cringe-making female with sing-song emphasis who sounds as if she is advertising a wonder new hair product, possibly with extra lanolin?
                    Are we talking about the woman with the young but deep-ish voice who's channelling the announcer of Masterchef? “

What, the Masterchef woman!!? The woman with the put on voice!!?? It’s food. Therefore it’s sumptuous and sexy? Etc.

“This is Schubert’s gorgeous and rather sexy Symphony no.4.
                    This isn’t just a Schubertathon. This is an M and S Shubertathon…”

I must say. I like the Schubert Symphonies. But was devestated that they cancelled the whole of the Hear and Now for it! Once again Hear and Now is side-lined. Wot happened to the commitment to new music?

3VS

Comment

[QUOTE=3rd Viennese School;149991This is an M and S Shubertathon…[/QUOTE]
                      More like S & M*?

they cancelled the whole of the Hear and Now for it! Once again Hear and Now is side-lined. Wot happened to the commitment to new music?
                      I made my brilliant "Hear and Nowt" joke on the Jazz Boards. Nobody thought it amusing there, either.

* = I WOULD IMAGINE!
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Presenter Clemency Burton-Hill gives her first broadcast interview, a year after being in a coma.

I found this when I googled Clemency Burton-Hill. My son was about the same age when he had a stroke and I can sympathise with her frustration with her inability to use her voice fully.

Comment

This thread is a very old one, discussing CB-H’s questionable presentation style long before tragedy struck her.

Comment

Working...
                          X