Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post

In the previous set up, one could quote post # 91 (or whatever) in the text of the reply, which provided the clarity you seek. That's not possible now as posts are not numbered, so to avoid confusion I don't see any other way than including the quote in the response. Maybe truncate the quote, editing between the boxes would help to reduce the space taken up?

On my desktop PC browser (firefox) the latest post in a thread, whatever it is replying to, appears at the top of the page, where posts go in time and date order down the page.

ON EDIT - OG's post of 23:12, which I now see - when I refresh this thread, it appears under my message of 23:22, which (to repeat myself) is at the top of the page.
    I might just try that if my idea of deleting the entire quote doesn't work.

Comment

In the previous set up, one could quote post # 91 (or whatever) in the text of the reply, which provided the clarity you seek. That's not possible now as posts are not numbered, so to avoid confusion I don't see any other way than including the quote in the response. Maybe truncate the quote, editing between the
      boxes would help to reduce the space taken up?

On my desktop PC browser (firefox) the latest post in a thread, whatever it is replying to, appears at the top of the page, where posts go in time and date order down the page.

ON EDIT - OG's post of 23:12, which I now see - when I refresh this thread, it appears under my message of 23:22, which (to repeat myself) is at the top of the page.[/QUOTE]

The other issue I'm finding is that because the post to which I'm replying may well be elsewhere than immediately above the "Write something" box I need to scroll back and forth to ensure I am answering as I intend - and if it's on another page then I'm stuck as I haven't yet managed to change pages while in the middle of a reply - the reply disappears. On the old version I used to open the Forum page as a non-logged in viewer alongside the active one to get round that, but now if I'm logged in then that method brings up the logged in version as well so that doesn't work anymore, although I've just realised I haven't tried accessing the forum not using the bookmark, which might get round the problem - but what a faff! So it seems that what you suggest - using and editing the "Quote" option - will have to be the way to do things.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        boxes would help to reduce the space taken up?
        My post was :

……..so to avoid confusion I don't see any other way than including the quote in the response. Maybe truncate the quote, editing between the " QUOTE" boxes would help to reduce the space taken up?............

Its an admirable aim to indicate which post is being replied to – given the number of different “strands” which can develop in one thread. But if the only way to be clear is to use the quote box, reducing the amount of text in that box - deleting parts of it, might be helpful.

We all use the forum in different ways and on PC / MAC computers, tablets and even mobile phones. (I have to say I gave up posting on my mobile phone as it was so tedious and error prone). I’ve adapted to the new format without too much trouble. I just feel lucky that skilled members (or well wishers) were willing to give a lot of their time to enable it to continue at all, and for all the previous material remain accessible.
        Other forums have disappeared, or been left as a reference archive entity, with at best a fresh start from the date of the IT calamity.

Comment

My post was :

Its an admirable aim to indicate which post is being replied to – given the number of different “strands” which can develop in one thread. But if the only way to be clear is to use the quote box, reducing the amount of text in that box - deleting parts of it, might be helpful.

We all use the forum in different ways and on PC / MAC computers, tablets and even mobile phones. (I have to say I gave up posting on my mobile phone as it was so tedious and error prone). I’ve adapted to the new format without too much trouble. I just feel lucky that skilled members (or well wishers) were willing to give a lot of their time to enable it to continue at all, and for all the previous material remain accessible.
          Other forums have disappeared, or been left as a reference archive entity, with at best a fresh start from the date of the IT calamity.
          As alluded to elsewhere, I access the forum predominantly on my phone. This works well enough, but as you say, editing is a faff and can be error prone. Thinning out a quote is not as simple as highlight and delete on PC.

Regarding "boxes taking up too much space" - is this space on the computer (or phone) screens or space on the (new) server?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            I don't know! What I am saying is that if I am clicking the TLH Post Reply button to message back, I have no way of knowing which message I am responding to.
            Well, if one posts to a particular thread one isn't necessarily responding to anyone in particular, so Post Reply does just add your post as the latest addition to the discussion (as a To Whom It May Concern).

So the alternative solution I am suggesting is that I go to the message I am wanting to respond to, click there on the "" Quote button on the bottom RHS - which produces the window I am to use with the messager's quote at the top, write my response below, and then delete the messager's quote before sending. That way I will at least know I have responded to the post I wanted to respond to, without having to include their previous message as a quote in my response.
            However, you may know who you're responding to, but if you delete the quote, how does anyone else know? Your post will just be dumped at the top/bottom (depending on each person's setting) as the latest post. I think it's clearer if you edit the quote - either down to the single point you're answering, or split up the points and answer them separately.

(There is something called a threaded view, possibly like on Facebook, but I haven't worked out how to use it and I find this current method satisfactory. I could have just started "Serial" or @Serial ooh! when I wrote that I got a pop-up saying Serial Apologist which was clickable. No idea what that would do
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              However, you may know who you're responding to, but if you delete the quote, how does anyone else know? Your post will just be dumped at the top/bottom (depending on each person's setting) as the latest post. I think it's clearer if you edit the quote - either down to the single point you're answering, or split up the points and answer them separately.
              Every new post I make gets dumped at the bottom (though I've set latest post at the top) until I refresh the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Every new post I make gets dumped at the bottom (though I've set latest post at the top) until I refresh the screen.
                Yes, it appears to be how it works. Or doesn't.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  They would know by my making unmistakable reference to the post I am responding to - which, in turn, would be ideally the one above my own. But that's a big ask I realise - we didn't have that luxury on the old forum! Yes, you have a very valid point!

(There is something called a threaded view, possibly like on Facebook, but I haven't worked out how to use it and I find this current method satisfactory. I could have just started "Serial" or @Serial ooh! when I wrote that I got a pop-up saying Serial Apologist which was clickable. No idea what that would do

On an unrelated matter, I am finding it very convenient when popping in to see if anybody has reponded to one of my posts to go straight to Threads, and click on the last person to post on that particular thread. This gets one to the page one wants very quickly.

Comment

:

On an unrelated matter, I am finding it very convenient when popping in to see if anybody has reponded to one of my posts to go straight to Threads, and click on the last person to post on that particular thread. This gets one to the page one wants very quickly.
                    Where is/are Threads? I don't see a link/tag labelled like that.

PS: Ah, I see what you mean (I think). Topics, then click on the rightmost link?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Where is/are Threads? I don't see a link/tag labelled like that.

PS: Ah, I see what you mean (I think). Topics, then click on the rightmost link?
                      Oh yes, the new definition..

Comment

Oh yes, the new definition..

Comment

Working...
                        X