Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick follow up. As I suspected the latest MBPs probably won't have HDMI. I assumed there would be adapters, as I have other adapters to provide Ethernet for an Air, and for other outputs. Seems Apple may not do an HDMI adapter - see http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/questio...4KYDAPDJXKYFKH

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Quick follow up. As I suspected the latest MBPs probably won't have HDMI. I assumed there would be adapters, as I have other adapters to provide Ethernet for an Air, and for other outputs. Seems Apple may not do an HDMI adapter - see http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/questio...4KYDAPDJXKYFKH
      You are correct.
      Heck...the new iPhones won't even have headphone jacks

Comment

Latest MacMinis do have HDMI of course, and most other connections you might need.... I think you see where this is heading...?

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Latest MacMinis do have HDMI of course, and most other connections you might need.... I think you see where this is heading...?
          No, I am not following you. Please finish the thought, I would love to know what you are leading up to.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
            No, I am not following you. Please finish the thought, I would love to know what you are leading up to.
            Simply - Apple want you to need it and buy it as a fixed-point server to add to all the other pretty things...
            Everything else is wireless & mobile, or heading that way....
            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 14-09-16, 04:16.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              Simply - Apple want you to need it and buy it as a fixed-point server to add to all the other pretty things...
              Everything else is wireless & mobile, or heading that way....
              Some of us may believe that Apple is cynically steering the market to suit its own profit making ends. I"m not so sure that the company is doing that. The Mac Mini is hardly one of Apple's more popular products - I think. A few people buy them for audio purposes the specs have changed over the last four years - the 2012 models included some quad core models, but the interfaces have kept HDMI since then. However a decent Mac Mini costs considerably more than a cheapo Win machine, and some of those could do HDMI, and also do FLAC.

I"m not really recommending that, but I think the Mac Mini is a bit of a red herring.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Some of us may believe that Apple is cynically steering the market to suit its own profit making ends. I"m not so sure that the company is doing that. The Mac Mini is hardly one of Apple's more popular products - I think. A few people buy them for audio purposes the specs have changed over the last four years - the 2012 models included some quad core models, but the interfaces have kept HDMI since then. However a decent Mac Mini costs considerably more than a cheapo Win machine, and some of those could do HDMI, and also do FLAC.

I"m not really recommending that, but I think the Mac Mini is a bit of a red herring.
                As per JLW the content providers are all moving to make everything virtual, Video and Audio. This is one reason that despite a long standing preference for physical media, I feel that I need to master it, before Senility creeps in. I am probably already late on that score

Comment

Ordered the Nelsons /Boston set of Shostakovich 5/8/9 from Presto. The download took only 10 minutes. Hooray!

Comment

Just a thought, Richard, but you do know that there are two Application folders on a Mac ? One that is system wide and available to all users and one that is just for your login account. Just a thought.
                    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

I'm experimenting with getting Hi Res audio on to an iPad, but it's not quite as easy as I'd hoped.

I did discover a tool to convert FLAC to ALAC - called MediaHuman Converter - http://www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/

However, when I ran it, it converted a 96 kHz Hi Res audio file to a 48 kHz Alac one, so any benefits of Hi Res + Flac get lost with that converter. 48kHz seems to be the highest sample rate with that converter. Other converters may do likewise.

Comment

Working...
                      X