Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by probe View Post
    Overseas visitors like us will be staying away in droves because of the extraordinary hotel prices because of the Olympics.
    Sorry, probe, but this is exactly what I'm banking on happening! It ties in with the experiences of other Olympic cities and come July 27 I'm expecting hundreds of empty hotel rooms going for next to nothing.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Observer thinks so too

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Sorry, probe, but this is exactly what I'm banking on happening! It ties in with the experiences of other Olympic cities and come July 27 I'm expecting hundreds of empty hotel rooms going for next to nothing.
      Happen you're right, Petrushka. The Observer was reporting on hotel sales a week ago. I may well look again!

Comment

This may sound daft, of even turn out to be a non-starter, but have you considered out of London Travelodge type facilities reachable by public transport. The Greenline 702 route, for instance, has a last bus from very near the RAH (about a 1 minute walk from Door 6) at around 10.40 pm Monday to Saturday (9.40 pm on Sundays though). This serves Slough, Windsor and Bracknell, all of which should offer basic accommodation at reasonable prices. For those with English National Bus Passes, the 702 is free. I would also expect there to be reasonably priced accommodation available in the Hounslow West area, served by the N9 route, or a combination of 9 or 10, and H91.

Comment

Thanks Bryn but no, at our age (average 70ish) we don't want to travel a long way late at night after a concert.

I've now booked Aug 9-13! The Apostles is the main aim as our choir is doing that next year.
          Got a hotel in Queen's gate for £88/night double room only, looks to be within walking distance.

Comment

In the end I managed to get into my usual Bloomsbury hotel for £79 a night. Rather expensive for 5 nights but they have abandoned the minimum stay which will help me later on in the season. As it happens the hotel was practically empty with the usual hordes of Japanese and American tourists completely absent. What the tourism industry may not yet fully realise is that it will take a couple or three years before tourism returns to pre-Olympics level. This again is the experience of other Olympic host cities.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Has anything been seen or heard of our friends from the US ??

Just asked you understand

Comment

Working...
              X