Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David-G View Post
    So to take a break of 90 minutes, which blustateprommer suggested might be a reasonable limit, would only be acceptable if I had already been queuing for 90 minutes?
    I should have put my original post in context, where that context will most likely not apply to Les troyens. When I've gotten a queue number and left to do other things, those other things were going to Cadogan Hall for a chamber concert Prom. I explained that to a steward when I got my queue number, not that I should have expected the steward to remember, in retrospect. So Lord M. does have a point about not going away for too long, if you're concerned. But I'd think that 30-45 minutes would be reasonable, if 90 worries you.

Comment

just wanted a bit of up to date advice on queue lengths, and whether turnouts have been strong this year.
      I am hoping to get to the RVW 3 symphonies next week. Any thoughts on what time I need to get there to be sure of getting in? would rather go in arena, but either will do. I was thinking of getting there 4.30/5.00 ish....is this too late?
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

If you're Promming in the arena and plan to go to the late night concert (for example, NYJO tomorrow) do you have to vacate the Arena and re-queue after the end of The Apostles? If not, are there loos near the Arena for comfort breaks between the two concerts?

Comment

Queues reform in the same order for the second concert (you should make sure you get a numbered "raffle" ticket when you first join the queue or enter the hall), people arriving for just the second concert will be behind those who have also attended the first concert. There are toilets in the corridor at either side of the Arena, once you've established a place in the Arena, you can go out, go to the loo (or bar etc) and reclaim your place on return. However, it's a good idea not to be away too long, on busy nights stewards will ask prommers to "stand up and move forwards" to make more free space at the back. You could also go to the loo on the way out from the first concert.

In general queues are building more slowly, but often with a late burst. For the RVW, it's not what most would necessarily consider a big-name band, and on a weekday 4:30-5 should be fine as it's still before most people can get out of work

Comment

Originally posted by David Underdown View Post
            Queues reform in the same order for the second concert (you should make sure you get a numbered "raffle" ticket when you first join the queue or enter the hall), people arriving for just the second concert will be behind those who have also attended the first concert. There are toilets in the corridor at either side of the Arena, once you've established a place in the Arena, you can go out, go to the loo (or bar etc) and reclaim your place on return. However, it's a good idea not to be away too long, on busy nights stewards will ask prommers to "stand up and move forwards" to make more free space at the back. You could also go to the loo on the way out from the first concert.

In general queues are building more slowly, but often with a late burst. For the RVW, it's not what most would necessarily consider a big-name band, and on a weekday 4:30-5 should be fine as it's still before most people can get out of work
            Thanks David....will get there as early as I can !

Do people have thoughts about the gallery...is it a good experience? Haven't been there since Jethro tull in 1980 !!
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Thanks David....will get there as early as I can !

Do people have thoughts about the gallery...is it a good experience? Haven't been there since Jethro tull in 1980 !!
              I remember enjoying Mahler symphonies stretched out on the Gallery floor in the early 70s. Very atmospheric and a great sound - though forty years later I'd find it hard to get myself up again after a couple of hours on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                I remember enjoying Mahler symphonies stretched out on the Gallery floor in the early 70s. Very atmospheric and a great sound - though forty years later I'd find it hard to get myself up again after a couple of hours on the floor.
                Sounds groovy.
                I "enjoyed " both Southampton v Sheffield United and also the Foo Fighters at Earls court in similar fashion...but that was down to a double hernia rather than a chilled out attitude !!

Edit....meant to say that it was the listening to mahler that sounded groovy, not the current inability to move after 2 hours on a hard floor !!I think we all have that !!
                Last edited by teamsaint; 09-08-12, 18:13.

Comment

Originally posted by David Underdown View Post
                  Queues reform in the same order for the second concert (you should make sure you get a numbered "raffle" ticket when you first join the queue or enter the hall), people arriving for just the second concert will be behind those who have also attended the first concert.
                  Hmm. I went to the early Prom the other day, and *no* raffle tickets were being handed out at all - not for the first time in recent years. In fact, there wasn't even a redcoat in sight, so I wouldn't bank on being able to get ahead of the later queuers.

Comment

I'm planning to go to Prom 73 - Beethoven Pno C 4/ Bruckner 9: VPO, Haitink, Perahia - on Thursday with a friend. As I haven't prommed in recent years I would appreciate advice on when to arrive to queue for what will obviously be a popular event. We are not constrained by work issues but do have a two hour journey from Hampshire to factor in. Having scanned this thread, it looks like, given a 1900 start, it would be prudent to arrive not later than 1530 to be sure of an Arena place. If wrong-footed, I don't mind defaulting to the Gallery queue, but would prefer to get into the Arena - not too worried about being near the front, to be honest. Any informed comments welcome - thanks. And thanks to Philip T for his very helpful summary of general advice.

Comment

KB,I went to the VW prom. it was a 7.30 start, and at 5.00 Pm, the queue for the arena hadn't reached the bottom of the steps.(I was checking for somebody who asked on another thread). We actually arrived at 3.30 and were no 50 and 51 raffle tickets.
                      As somebody else observed, the queue seems to build quickly after 5.00 ,after work .

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        I'm planning to go to Prom 73 - Beethoven Pno C 4/ Bruckner 9: VPO, Haitink, Perahia - on Thursday with a friend. As I haven't prommed in recent years I would appreciate advice on when to arrive to queue for what will obviously be a popular event. We are not constrained by work issues but do have a two hour journey from Hampshire to factor in. Having scanned this thread, it looks like, given a 1900 start, it would be prudent to arrive not later than 1530 to be sure of an Arena place. If wrong-footed, I don't mind defaulting to the Gallery queue, but would prefer to get into the Arena - not too worried about being near the front, to be honest. Any informed comments welcome - thanks. And thanks to Philip T for his very helpful summary of general advice.
                        Bumping this up in the hope of a comment on arriving for this sold-out Prom, no doubt with many wanting to Prom. And thanks, TS.

Any thoughts, please?

BW, kb

Comment

The big foreign orchestras do tend to build up earlier. That said I don't think the queues for the Berliners were actually that long. However the VPOs rep is perhaps more mainstream.

Aiming to arrive on the early side also gives you more wriggle room in the event of any unforeseen travel difficulties too

Comment

Working...
                          X