Mozart symphonies - who is going to play them in the future ?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    I think that when the current older generation of conductors (Davis, Ashkenazy, Abbado, Haitink, Barenboim etc) have left the scene it may well be increasingly rare to see these symphonies on programmes for the non-period bands, and the opportunities to hear non-period performances of these works will be largely confined to CDs/downloads.
    Wasn't this the point that prompted Barbirollians to start this thread?

Comment

There are modern-instrument Chamber Orchestras that perform this repertoire exceptionally well, and I suspect that these will continue. (The wonderful Northern Chamber Orchestra - whose Jupiter was the best I've ever heard - and the Northern Sinfonia, to name two.) And many members of the big Symphony Orchestras also play the repertoire both in HIPP and modern chamber ensembles.

But (and this may seem ironic, considering my defense of Period Timbres elsewhere recently) I think it important that large Orchestras keep this repertoire as an essential part of their programming as it provides the basis of playing well together. I do not see how an orchestra that hasn't played Haydn & Mozart can possibly play Beethoven & Schubert well. Or how Brahms, if their Beethoven is flawed. Or ... well, it goes on.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I struggle to see the reason why a symphony orchestra rather than a chamber orchestra cannot play Mozart . As can be seen when they accompnay in Mozart they tend to slim down anyway for the performance .

Is it really the case that say Mozart's last four symphonies are box office poison ? I cannot imagine that is truly the case . What is the evidence for it ?

Oramo seems pretty keen on playing Mozart though and perhaps he will see to it that the BBC SO plays rather more in future.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          IIs it really the case that say Mozart's last four symphonies are box office poison ? I cannot imagine that is truly the case . What is the evidence for it ?
          Of ourse it isn't box office poison. It's absence is more likely to be a defence against the wave of political correctness that has follwed years of relentless hammering by the HIPP industry. I don't tar all HIPPsters with this brush, and there many more reasonable voices to be heard, including some on this forum.

Comment

We no longer have some of the ' traditional' chamber orchestras like the ASMF or the ECO, who could be relied upon to give us a fair selection of Mozart and Haydn symphonies. Martin Kettle particularly cited the Proms in his article, and it's certainly true that the symphony orchestras have overlooked them in recent years, but is the RAH the right place for them? Cadogan Hall would be more suitable, surely.
            Rather than criticise the lack of the symphonies, I would complain about the fact that only a well known handful of the piano concertos seemed to be heard at live concerts these days, and there are so many treasures to choose from.

Comment

We no longer have some of the ' traditional' chamber orchestras like the ASMF or the ECO, who could be relied upon to give us a fair selection of Mozart and Haydn symphonies.
              I think the ECO and the ASMF are still very much alive, Ff. The ASMF is going on a European tour in the autumn with Murray Perahia. I'm not sure about their repertoire these days as I don't get to London much but I imagine they still play Haydn and Mozart symphonies from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                I struggle to see the reason why a symphony orchestra rather than a chamber orchestra cannot play Mozart . As can be seen when they accompnay in Mozart they tend to slim down anyway for the performance .

Is it really the case that say Mozart's last four symphonies are box office poison ? I cannot imagine that is truly the case . What is the evidence for it ?

Oramo seems pretty keen on playing Mozart though and perhaps he will see to it that the BBC SO plays rather more in future.
                A few months ago I saw von Dohnanyi/Philharmonia at the Festival Hall playing Mozart symphony no 25 sandwiched between two pieces by Richard Strauss and as you say Barbirollians the orchestra was slimmed down and I got the impression that von Dohnanyi (an old timer if ever there was one) had rehearsed the performance very well - a very perky performance with judicious non-persistent vibrato

Comment

Just an observation - Rattle, when he does Mozart, seems to prefer the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment to the Berlin Phil.

Comment

That's very true but when he did JSB's St Matthew Passion, he performed that with the Berliners?
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      But then, I speak as an "oh-so inferior academic".
                      No need to admit it to the world, ferny, even if you are!!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Just an observation - Rattle, when he does Mozart, seems to prefer the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment to the Berlin Phil.
                        With cloth ears like he's got I'm not surprised!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                          With cloth ears like he's got I'm not surprised!!
                          Ariosto - You appear to be everybody's friend today - I suggest you sit back and have a listen to a soothing late Mozart Symphony -38, probably a good choice - version - up to you!

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            A few months ago I saw von Dohnanyi/Philharmonia at the Festival Hall playing Mozart symphony no 25 sandwiched between two pieces by Richard Strauss and as you say Barbirollians the orchestra was slimmed down and I got the impression that von Dohnanyi (an old timer if ever there was one) had rehearsed the performance very well - a very perky performance with judicious non-persistent vibrato
                            Ammy - that sounds a civilised performance - I probably wouldn't mind the RSt either, what were the works?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Ariosto - You appear to be everybody's friend today - I suggest you sit back and have a listen to a soothing late Mozart Symphony -38, probably a good choice - version - up to you!
                              I'll miss out on the Mozart as I have to work on Bach etc. But you have to understand my sense of humour which often has an underlying edge - especially where conductors are concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                                I'll miss out on the Mozart as I have to work on Bach etc. But you have to understand my sense of humour which often has an underlying edge - especially where conductors are concerned.
                                Hope your Bach has sufficient bite!

Comment

Working...
                                X