Mozart symphonies - who is going to play them in the future ?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Hope your Bach has sufficient bite!
    Sometimes I think I have bitten off more than I can chew - especially when I get around to doing the Chaconne ...

Comment

Ammy - that sounds a civilised performance - I probably wouldn't mind the RSt either, what were the works?
      Four Last Songs with an overwhelmed soloist whose name escapes me and Til Eulenspiegel which was full of mischief

Comment

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
        No need to admit it to the world, ferny, even if you are!!
        Never let it be said that I'm afraid of stating the bleedin' obvious!

... oh; it never has!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          A compelling piece by Martin Kettle in the Guardian drawn to my attention on another thread. I do not understand why symphony orchestras have stopped playing them . Dogmatic HIPPites may rejoice but not me . It also does not make much sense when the symphony orchestra happily continues accompanying pianists in Mozart .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-mozart-genius
          A thoughtful and interesting response in today's Guardian from Nick Kenyon to Martin Kettle's article.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            A lousy response that avoids the question .

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51;188816[B
              ]Four Last Songs with an overwhelmed soloist [/B]whose name escapes me and Til Eulenspiegel which was full of mischief
              Wot another?

Comment

Like so many 'names' who say a lot and tell you nothing. For his information, unless I have skewed my listening over the last 50 years most of Mozart's 25-41 have been mainstream works both in concert and in recordings. As for 1-24 and all the other pre 183, K unnumbered symphonies, whilst the Hogwood/Schroder AAM set was a good project it was Karl Bohm's traditional forces BPO set that brought the full 1-41 to us.(OK there was no 2 3 or 37).

Comment

Like so many 'names' who say a lot and tell you nothing. For his information, unless I have skewed my listening over the last 50 years most of Mozart's 25-41 have been mainstream works both in concert and in recordings. As for 1-24 and all the other pre 183, K unnumbered symphonies, whilst the Hogwood/Schroder AAM set was a good project it was Karl Bohm's traditional forces BPO set that brought the full 1-41 to us.(OK there was no 2 3 or 37).
                  The numbering system for Mozart symphonies is confusing, to sya the least. Although no. 41 is Mozart's last known symphony, there is a "42", and a 43, 44, 45, 46, 47...etc. Fare better to abandon the old numbering system and adopt the Einealpensinfonieedition numbering, which I first introduced on this forum several months ago:-

Originally Posted by Pabmusic
                  However, how about a novel numbering system, based on - say - Fibonacci numbers. Symphonies 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377 (that should cover the fragments).
                  Let's do the same with Mozart's symphonies. (I did consider sending this one out on 1st April, but I was away on holiday at the time:

1 in E flat K.16
                  2 in D K.19
                  3 in F K.19a
                  4 in B flat K.22
                  5 in C K.35
                  6 in D K.38
                  7 in F K.43
                  8 in D K.45
                  9 in G K.45a “Old Lambach”
                  10 in G K.46b
                  11 in D K.48
                  12 in D K.62a
                  13 in C K.73
                  14 in G K.74
                  15 in D K.87/74a
                  16 in D minor K.118/74c
                  17 in G K.110/75b
                  18 in D K.120/111a
                  19 in F K.112
                  20 in A K.114
                  21 in G K.124
                  22 in C K.128
                  23 in G K.129
                  24 in F K.130
                  25 in E flat K.132
                  26 in D K.133
                  27 in A K.134
                  28 in D K.135
                  29 in D K.161 & 163 /141a
                  30 in E flat K.184/161a
                  31 in G K.199/161b
                  32 in C K.162
                  33 in D K.181/162b
                  34 in B flat K.182/173dA
                  35 in G minor K.183/173dB
                  36 in A K.201/186a
                  37 in D K.202/186b
                  38 in D K.203/189b
                  39 in C K.200/189k
                  40 in D K.121/207a
                  41 in D K.204/213a
                  42 in C K.102/213c
                  43 in D (from “Haffner” Serenade) K.250/248b
                  44 in D “Paris” K.279/300a
                  45 in G K.318
                  46 in B flat K.319
                  47 in D K.320
                  48 in C K.338
                  49 in D “Haffner” K.385
                  50 in C “Linz” K.425
                  51 in D “Prague” K.504
                  52 in E flat K.543
                  53 in G minor K.550
                  54 in C “Jupiter” K.551

(Numbers 2,3 & 37 of the old system are finally put to rest.)

Comment

Comment

Glancing through the Leeds International Orchestral Season brochure reveals 20 concerts (with not a single HIPP band amongst them) consisting of "68" pieces (there's a "selection" from Rachmaninov's Vespers, and a group of songs I've counted as one"item").

4 are by Mozart, with the CBSO performing the only Symphony (the Prague) and three arias from the operas; the Manchester Camerata (another fine modern instrument chamber orchestra I omitted earlier) are giving the d minor Piano Concerto; and the Hallé the Clarinet concerto. Haydn is represented by two works: the Oxford Symphony (Manchester Camerata) and The Creation (BBC Phil). There's also a Baroque "Christmas" event (7 pieces) by the EU Chamber Orch and Nicola Benedetti.

In comparison, Beethoven has two Overtures, three concertos and two symphonies. Schubert's Great C major Symph, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        The numbering system for Mozart symphonies is confusing, to sya the least. Although no. 41 is Mozart's last known symphony, there is a "42", and a 43, 44, 45, 46, 47...etc. Fare better to abandon the old numbering system and adopt the Einealpensinfonieedition numbering, which I first introduced on this forum several months ago:-

Originally Posted by Pabmusic
                        However, how about a novel numbering system, based on - say - Fibonacci numbers. Symphonies 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377 (that should cover the fragments).
                        Let's do the same with Mozart's symphonies. (I did consider sending this one out on 1st April, but I was away on holiday at the time:

1 in E flat K.16
                        2 in D K.19
                        3 in F K.19a
                        4 in B flat K.22
                        5 in C K.35
                        6 in D K.38
                        7 in F K.43
                        8 in D K.45
                        9 in G K.45a “Old Lambach”
                        10 in G K.46b
                        11 in D K.48
                        12 in D K.62a
                        13 in C K.73
                        14 in G K.74
                        15 in D K.87/74a
                        16 in D minor K.118/74c
                        17 in G K.110/75b
                        18 in D K.120/111a
                        19 in F K.112
                        20 in A K.114
                        21 in G K.124
                        22 in C K.128
                        23 in G K.129
                        24 in F K.130
                        25 in E flat K.132
                        26 in D K.133
                        27 in A K.134
                        28 in D K.135
                        29 in D K.161 & 163 /141a
                        30 in E flat K.184/161a
                        31 in G K.199/161b
                        32 in C K.162
                        33 in D K.181/162b
                        34 in B flat K.182/173dA
                        35 in G minor K.183/173dB
                        36 in A K.201/186a
                        37 in D K.202/186b
                        38 in D K.203/189b
                        39 in C K.200/189k
                        40 in D K.121/207a
                        41 in D K.204/213a
                        42 in C K.102/213c
                        43 in D (from “Haffner” Serenade) K.250/248b
                        44 in D “Paris” K.279/300a
                        45 in G K.318
                        46 in B flat K.319
                        47 in D K.320
                        48 in C K.338
                        49 in D “Haffner” K.385
                        50 in C “Linz” K.425
                        51 in D “Prague” K.504
                        52 in E flat K.543
                        53 in G minor K.550
                        54 in C “Jupiter” K.551

(Numbers 2,3 & 37 of the old system are finally put to rest.)
                        How about leaving things as they are, complex as it may be I know where I am with it!

Comment

Robert Hartford writing in the 10th March 1984 edition of Classical Music magazine.
                          Mozart - the ten-per-cent genius

For many a year [Symphony] No 37 stood in the Mozart canon, neighbour of the Linz and Prague, and doubtless was given its due as a comparable vessel of Mozart’s unique genius. Then it was discovered to be not by Mozart but by Haydn’s younger brother, Michael. As far as I know, no one had declared Michael Haydn a genius and so his P16, once hailed as Mozart’s K444, was consigned to oblivion.

I think this highlights the undue god-like status conferred on Mozart by some commentators (wasn't it once conferred on Mendelssohn in the early 20th century?) and evidently irked Mr. Hartford enough to write that aricle. It's true that for all his accomplishments, probably under a tenth of Mozart’s 600-odd pieces get regular performances, and a lot of what he rapidly churned out was simply to put bread on the table (and I don't think today's George Benjamins and Kaija Saariahos could keep up the quality if they had to churn out music just as fast!).

The majority of Mozart that gets performed is from the last 5 years of his life. Had he died at 30, he wouldn't be as highly-rated. If Haydn had died at 35 (having got as far as symphonies Nos. 33 and 34) he'd presumably be no more celebrated than say Michael Haydn or Boccherini.

I do welcome less Mozart in our concert halls, because it will not diminish his wider stature one bit, whilst also making room for more lesser-known composers and hopefully more contemporary music. IMHO there's still too much Bach performed (especially at Easter and Christmas) at the expense of his contemporaries, although the sitation has improved in the last few decades.
                          Last edited by Boilk; 28-07-12, 13:01. Reason: typo correction

Comment

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                            Robert Hartford writing in the 10th March 1984 edition of Classical Music magazine.
                            Mozart - the ten-per-cent genius

For many a year [Symphony] No 37 stood in the Mozart canon, neighbour of the Linz and Prague, and doubtless was given its due as a comparable vessel of Mozart’s unique genius. Then it was discovered to be not by Mozart but by Haydn’s younger brother, Michael. As far as I know, no one had declared Michael Haydn a genius and so his P16, once hailed as Mozart’s K444, was consigned to oblivion.

I think this highlights the undue god-like status conferred on Mozart by some commentators (wasn't it once conferred on Mendelssohn in the early 20th century?) and evidently irked Mr. Hartford enough to write that aricle. It's true that for all his accomplishments, probably under a tenth of Mozart’s 600-odd pieces get regular performances, and a lot of what he rapidly churned out was simply to put bread on the table (and I don't think today's George Benjamins and Kaija Saariahos could keep up the quality if they had to churn out music just as fast!).

The majority of Mozart that gets performed is from the last 5 years of his life. Had he died at 30, he wouldn't be as highly-rated. If Haydn had died at 35 (having got as far as symphonies Nos. 33 and 34) he'd presumably be no more celebrated than say Michael Haydn or Boccherini.

I do welcome less Mozart in our concert halls, because it will not diminish his wider stature one bit, whilst also making room for more lesser-known composers and hopefully more contemporary music. IMHO there's still too much Bach performed (especially at Easter and Christmas) at the expense of his contemporaries, although the sitation has improved in the last few decades.
                            I am afraid I couldn’t agree with you less. The quote highlights nothing of the kind. What it does show is that there is good music written by "lesser" composers, if only people will look for it.

The supreme status of Mozart (let’s call it that rather then god-like) is not "undue" at all. It derives from the quality of his masterpieces. Of course not all Mozart’s 600 works are masterpieces; but if many/most of the supreme masterpieces were from the last five years of his life, so what? Does that diminish their quality or his status? In my view, not. And anyway, it’s not hard to think of masterpieces written earlier in Mozart’s life. Take Idomeneo, a supreme masterpiece if ever there was one.

"and a lot of what he rapidly churned out was simply to put bread on the table". "Churned out" is rather a perjorative term. Were the piano concertos "churned out"? Or the operas? It was after all rather important for Mozart to put bread on his table – nobody else was going to. If for that reason he wrote a lot of dance music and serenades which might be regarded as "lesser works", they are still very fine music. Beethoven set numerous Scottish, Irish and Welsh songs for much the same reason. That does not seem to reduce the opinion in which he is held.

"Had he died at 30, he wouldn't be as highly-rated." What a strange remark. If he had died at 20, he would be even less highly rated. So would most composers. Thankfully Mozart didn’t die at 30, and thankfully we have the works that he wrote in his thirties.

"I do welcome less Mozart in our concert halls". It would seem that you are not very keen on Mozart’s music; you are not alone in that. I, on the other hand, adore Mozart’s music, and feel deprived when I see so little of it programmed at the Proms. I could truthfully say: "I would welcome less contemporary music in our concert halls, because it will not diminish the stature of contemporary music one bit, while also making room for more Mozart". But I would not say that, because even if most contemporary music does not appeal to me, I recognise that some people like it; that there has to be a balance in programmes; and that it is important for contemporary music to be heard.
                            Last edited by David-G; 28-07-12, 20:44. Reason: add an additional point

Comment

How about leaving things as they are, complex as it may be I know where I am with it!
                              I am flattered that you think that anyone at all would listen to my suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                I am flattered that you think that anyone at all would listen to my suggestion.
                                That's fine EA - I just don't like all this tinkering around with the status quo - the Schubert scenrio for example.

Comment

Working...
                                X