Mozart symphonies - who is going to play them in the future ?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    I suppose it would Be something of a culture shock to say Mozart's 53rd, instead of Mozart's 40th.
    Might finally do for Waldo de los Rios's immortal chart single known as "Mozart 40" too...

...so I'm in favour of the change...
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
      ...But even here the correct opus number for the Symphony in F, formerly known as no.3, now no.5, opus 24, is discarded for opus 76...
      And that was because Simrock published No. 5, op. 24, as "No. 3, op. 76". They did that to make it appear newer that the two they had already published, the ones we know now as Nos 6 and 7, but that were then Nos 1 and 2. Dvorak went along with the deception because it got his symphony published. He made minimal revisions to No. 5 (3) and gave it a new opus number (76), but it was really a scam.

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
        Might finally do for Waldo de los Rios's immortal chart single known as "Mozart 40" too...

...so I'm in favour of the change...
        Do not mock! That pop version won me a £1,000,000 bet I had with a classmate at the age of 11. he mocked me about my musical tastes, saying Mozart's 40th would never be in the Top Ten. not knowing what th Top Ten was, I foolishly agreed to the wager, but was proved right a decade later. The bad news is that he has yet to pay up.

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          Ariosto reminds me of John Lewis - never knowingly understated. Or is it Margaret Thatcher - 'everyone's out of step except me'?
          I suppose you haven't heard some of the members attempting chamber music where there are solo lines? Remiinds me of grade V students going in for the Associated Bored.*

*Apparently they don't like you calling it that now. (I can think of much worse things to call it).

Comment

Ariosto reminds me of John Lewis - never knowingly understated. Or is it Margaret Thatcher - 'everyone's out of step except me'?
            Personally, I admire people who do not act like sheep, and the musical world - popular and classical - contains a large number of these fluffy creatures.

Comment

Personally, I admire people who do not act like sheep
              Unless they're playing oboe and clarinet in the Alpensymphonie I imagine.

Comment

That flutter-tonguing is exceptionally difficult.

Comment

That flutter-tonguing is exceptionally difficult.
                  Indeed, but of course Strauss had to put up with primitive 20th-century woodwind instruments - flutter-tonguing will be a doddle on 22nd-century instruments of course, which will sound so much better too, exactly the way Strauss would have wanted if he'd heard them.

Comment

Originally posted by heliocentric View Post
                    Indeed, but of course Strauss had to put up with primitive 20th-century woodwind instruments - flutter-tonguing will be a doddle on 22nd-century instruments of course, which will sound so much better too, exactly the way Strauss would have wanted if he'd heard them.
                    Do I detect a touch of cynicism here?

If you ever lay your hand on a 22nd Century oboe that makes flutter tonguing easy, please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by heliocentric View Post
                      22nd century instruments? Pah - priomitive rubish. I look forward to hearing the music of nthe masters played on the instruments they really had in mind - 25th century.

Comment

If you ever lay your hand on a 22nd Century oboe that makes flutter tonguing easy, please let me know.
                        That's just what Handel said about valved brass instruments...

Comment

I'm not a composer, but I am an orchestrator, and I always hope that my arrangements would/will be played on the best instruments available, and if that means improved versions not yet available, so much the better.

Burn me at the stake if you like, but you'll have to find me first.

Comment

I'm not a composer, but I am an orchestrator, and I always hope that my arrangements would/will be played on the best instruments available, and if that means improved versions not yet available, so much the better.

Burn me at the stake if you like, but you'll have to find me first.
                            Do you not consider the current capabilities of the instruments you stipulate in your orchestrations?

Comment

What about being played on instruments of a different type or category?

Comment

What about being played on instruments of a different type or category?
                                Such as these?

Comment

Working...
                                X