Mozart symphonies - who is going to play them in the future ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Maybe, but what is happening to performances of Mozart?
    What is being played instead?
    I refer the honourable fellow Forumista to # 51 above:

the works "replacing" Mozart on the programmes of the Symphonies orchestras aren't CPE Bach, or Pleyel, or John Marsh. Nor is it Carter, Sciarrino, Lachenmann or Saariaho. Or Madetoja, Gade, Sterndale Bennett or Djargomyzhki. Alongside whole universes of Planets, Carminas Burani, Bruch g minors, Elgar 'cello Concertos etc etc, it's "Songs from the Shows" and "Hits from the Silver Screen" that have usurped Joe and Wolfie.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      ...it was Karl Bohm's traditional forces BPO set that brought the full 1-41 to us.(OK there was no 2 3 or 37).
      Not quite. Though dating from the late 1960s and early 1970s (the whole set was ready by 1971 iirc, and immediately re-released as part of the 1973 DGG The Symphony Edition - celebrating 75 years of DGG), it was not the first to be available: that honour is Erich Leinsdorf's (even including nos. 2 KV17, 3 KV 18 and 37 KV444) on Westminster, quite recently re-released (2010, 2011?)

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        The numbering system for Mozart symphonies is confusing, to sya the least. Although no. 41 is Mozart's last known symphony, there is a "42", and a 43, 44, 45, 46, 47...etc. Fare better to abandon the old numbering system and adopt the Einealpensinfonieedition numbering, which I first introduced on this forum several months ago:-

Originally Posted by Pabmusic
        However, how about a novel numbering system, based on - say - Fibonacci numbers. Symphonies 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377 (that should cover the fragments).
        Let's do the same with Mozart's symphonies. (I did consider sending this one out on 1st April, but I was away on holiday at the time:

1 in E flat K.16
        2 in D K.19
        3 in F K.19a
        4 in B flat K.22
        5 in C K.35
        6 in D K.38
        7 in F K.43
        8 in D K.45
        9 in G K.45a “Old Lambach”
        10 in G K.46b
        11 in D K.48
        12 in D K.62a
        13 in C K.73
        14 in G K.74
        15 in D K.87/74a
        16 in D minor K.118/74c
        17 in G K.110/75b
        18 in D K.120/111a
        19 in F K.112
        20 in A K.114
        21 in G K.124
        22 in C K.128
        23 in G K.129
        24 in F K.130
        25 in E flat K.132
        26 in D K.133
        27 in A K.134
        28 in D K.135
        29 in D K.161 & 163 /141a
        30 in E flat K.184/161a
        31 in G K.199/161b
        32 in C K.162
        33 in D K.181/162b
        34 in B flat K.182/173dA
        35 in G minor K.183/173dB
        36 in A K.201/186a
        37 in D K.202/186b
        38 in D K.203/189b
        39 in C K.200/189k
        40 in D K.121/207a
        41 in D K.204/213a
        42 in C K.102/213c
        43 in D (from “Haffner” Serenade) K.250/248b
        44 in D “Paris” K.279/300a
        45 in G K.318
        46 in B flat K.319
        47 in D K.320
        48 in C K.338
        49 in D “Haffner” K.385
        50 in C “Linz” K.425
        51 in D “Prague” K.504
        52 in E flat K.543
        53 in G minor K.550
        54 in C “Jupiter” K.551

(Numbers 2,3 & 37 of the old system are finally put to rest.)
        Just stick to the list as given in Neil Zaslaw's Mozart Symphonies (a spin off of the Hogwood AAM recordings late 1970s)- as there are big problemes to be solved regarding numbering Mozart's works anyhow for the 8th Edition of the Köchel Verzeichnis. One of the changes being the consequent numbering of fragments as such, another however is to leave the Breitkopf & Härtel numbering for the Symphonies intact as being universally recognisable (i.e. 1-41 w/h 42-55)

Comment

• Ariosto

It seems to me to be VERY unfortunate if all we get is Rattle conducting that awful Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment whose members haven't yet learnt to play their instruments.

This is one reason I rarely listen to a Prom concert these days.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Ariosto reminds me of John Lewis - never knowingly understated. Or is it Margaret Thatcher - 'everyone's out of step except me'?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              Ariosto reminds me of John Lewis - never knowingly understated. Or is it Margaret Thatcher - 'everyone's out of step except me'?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

I've only just caught up with this thread and haven't really got much to add to the interesting points made above except to report that it prompted a visit upstairs to my programme "archive" in the spare bedroom. I can still remember being spellbound by the the sound made by the opening bars of K550 which was the first item on the programme of my first ever live orchestral concert as a 19-year-old in 1968. The first half of this Prom conducted by Colin Davis was all Mozart - the G minor Symphony, K364 Sinfonia Concertante and the K467 Piano Concerto, by which time it must have been after 9pm because each of those is about half an hour long. We then came back for a second half with works by Busoni, Wolpe, Dallapiccola and Johann Strauss with a new conductor, Frederik Prausnitz. I've still got the programme for the whole season: One other Mozart symphony was done that year - the Linz with Barbirolli and the Hallé as part of a Viennese Evening

Whatever fads and vagaries of taste in programming may occur in future I for one will always be up for a Mozart symphony.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  The first half of this Prom conducted by Colin Davis was all Mozart - the G minor Symphony, K364 Sinfonia Concertante and the K467 Piano Concerto, by which time it must have been after 9pm because each of those is about half an hour long. We then came back for a second half with works by Busoni, Wolpe, Dallapiccola and Johann Strauss with a new conductor, Frederik Prausnitz.
                  Rather off-topic, I know, but although the number of Prom concerts have increased, they seem to have become shorter, so perhaps the total amount of music (in hours) has stayed the same?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                    Just stick to the list as given in Neil Zaslaw's Mozart Symphonies (a spin off of the Hogwood AAM recordings late 1970s)- as there are big problemes to be solved regarding numbering Mozart's works anyhow for the 8th Edition of the Köchel Verzeichnis. One of the changes being the consequent numbering of fragments as such, another however is to leave the Breitkopf & Härtel numbering for the Symphonies intact as being universally recognisable (i.e. 1-41 w/h 42-55)
                    Yes, but on that premise, we should have left Dvorak's Symphonies as 1 - 5 plus 4 more unnumbered ones.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Here is my idea of a Mozart Prom

Symphony no 28 - all too seldom played
                      K365 - with Argerich and Kovacevich
                      Some of his concert arias with Sally Matthews
                      K550

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Yes, but on that premise, we should have left Dvorak's Symphonies as 1 - 5 plus 4 more unnumbered ones.
                        You presumably remember on ACL Sym 2 Schmitt Isserstedt, Sym 4 Szell and Sym 5 (New World) Jorda.

Comment

• Roehre

No, as this numbering has established itself quite rapidly - the newest recording stating the New World Symphony as no.9(5) dates from 1978 IIRC, while the numbering 1-9 was introduced in the early 1960s IIRC. But even here the correct opus number for the Symphony in F, formerly known as no.3, now no.5, opus 24, is discarded for opus 76.
                          A change in KV-numbers (by adding the chronologically correct ones according to the latest research) PLUS a change in the "traditional" B&H numbering spells chaos, unless the latter are dropped altogether and the symphonies are just identified by their KV-number. This is increasingly the case already with the piano concertos and the string quartets, thought these genres are not really necessarily subject to a re-numbering as the symphonies are.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            You presumably remember on ACL Sym 2 Schmitt Isserstedt, Sym 4 Szell and Sym 5 (New World) Jorda.
                            ...or the DGG recordings BPO/Kubelik as 6(1), 7(2), 8(4) and 9(5), used in the original releases 1968-1970, but already completely dropped in the DDG The Symphony box-set Dvorak Symphonies from 1973.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

I suppose it would Be something of a culture shock to say Mozart's 53rd, instead of Mozart's 40th.

Comment

• Roehre

I suppose it would Be something of a culture shock to say Mozart's 53rd, instead of Mozart's 40th.
                                I'm afraid so - but what if one of those symphonies re-emerges which hasn't been accounted for yet ? Renumbering again?

Comment

Working...
                                X