Mozart symphonies - who is going to play them in the future ?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
    What about being played on instruments of a different type or category?
    Apparently these are very good

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Do you not consider the current capabilities of the instruments you stipulate in your orchestrations?
      Obviously, yes. But if I asked an oboist to flutter-tongue, I would be doing so more in hope than expectation - hoping that one day, it would not sound nearly a semitone flat. The trick, at present, might be to play the note a semitone higher, with a very loose embouchure. In the future, who knows?

Originally posted by Flosshilde
      What about being played on instruments of a different type or category?
      You mean like playing a piano instead of a harpsichord? Only if there was nothing else to hand. I still fume about Opera North using an amplified harpsichord in "The Marriage of Figaro"

Comment

That's exactly what I meant - but I don't know what you mean by "Only if there was nothing else to hand" - do you mean that you would accept a piano if there was no Harpsichord around?

I would fume about an amplified harpsichord too.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          A compelling piece by Martin Kettle in the Guardian drawn to my attention on another thread. I do not understand why symphony orchestras have stopped playing them . Dogmatic HIPPites may rejoice but not me . It also does not make much sense when the symphony orchestra happily continues accompanying pianists in Mozart .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-mozart-genius
          At the Dresden Music Festival earlier this year in May I heard a wonderful concert played by the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra under Daniel Barenboim at the Semper Opera House. The progamme was an all Mozart one:

Symphony No. 39 in E flat, K.543;
          Symphony No. 40 in G minor, K.550;
          Symphony No. 41 in C flat, K.551 ‘Jupiter’

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

Burn me at the stake if you like, but you'll have to find me first.
            Easy-peasy EA! - someone shouts 'HIPP' and you up like a rat up a drainpipe

Simples!

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Obviously, yes. But if I asked an oboist to flutter-tongue, I would be doing so more in hope than expectation - hoping that one day, it would not sound nearly a semitone flat. The trick, at present, might be to play the note a semitone higher, with a very loose embouchure. In the future, who knows?
              Surely you just need to get someone to play it who can do this (I can think of a couple of oboists who would find this well within their capabilities )
              maybe the "problem" is a bit deeper in that it's more than a little odd to think that one should be able to compose music or make arrangements without an idea of WHO is going to play it and what their particular playing style is like ?
              which is what Mozart did (along with more or less every composer I have ever encountered )

Surely there's enough "generic" music in the world already ?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                Surely you just need to get someone to play it who can do this (I can think of a couple of oboists who would find this well within their capabilities )
                Me too. And if the 22nd century oboe isn't yet available, the 21st century oboe is:

... and it's already building a repertoire of music which can't be played on the "old" model. So those who like Strauss's sheep with more sheepish intonation (as he himself was presumably expecting) might in future have to go HIP.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  easy-peasy ea! - someone shouts 'hipp' and you up like a rat up a drainpipe

Simples!
                  hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-

After that I need a HIP replacement ...

Comment

Originally posted by ariosto View Post
                    hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-hipp-
                    ... hooray!!
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by heliocentric View Post
                      Me too. And if the 22nd century oboe isn't yet available, the 21st century oboe is:

http://www.21stcenturyoboe.com/
                      I really want one of these oboes. Quite incredible.

Originally posted by heliocentric View Post
                      ... and it's already building a repertoire of music which can't be played on the "old" model. So those who like Strauss's sheep with more sheepish intonation (as he himself was presumably expecting) might in future have to go HIP.
                      Dream on.
                      Strauss was pushing the limits, but the technique I outlined does work. Interestingly though, the oboists cheat on many recordings by playing a series of rapidly repeated notes.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        ... hooray!!
                        You won't be cheering when you hear the next HIPP release ...

Comment

It would be wonderful to hear some BBCSO Mozart let's hope Oramo brings it back .

Comment

I quite agree. But what conductor is going to risk the wrath of today's brainwashed/pre-programmed critics by playing Mozart with a large orchestra (even though Mozart liked such things)?

Comment

It's not February 2nd, is it?
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                It's not February 2nd, is it?
                                Why ?

Comment

Working...
                                X