• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    I reach for George's Fourth Symphony perhaps once a year -
    Not often enough Alison.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
      despite my best attempts to have a downer
      Oh, those are efforts not worth expending; none of us needs to have downers - life's hard enough as it is, n'est-ce pas?(!)...

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        Not often enough Alison.
        No - too often, I'd say. George Lloyd is so often so well-meaning and his technique to say what he wanted to say rarely let him down - and the Fourth Symphony has a lot going for it but finally dissolves into cliché, I fear - but that shellshock really did for him, notwithstanding what has to be accepted as a considerable triumph of determination over appalling adversity. The Eighth Symphony has some remarkable writing, especially for the strings, but to what does it all ultimately add up? Not enough, for me. The best thing that this Grand Musical Bard of Gorsedh Kernow (sorry, Mr Gundry!) ever did during his maturity was his Seventh Symphony, a work that really does stand out head and shoulders above most of the rest of his output, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          No - too often, I'd say. George Lloyd is so often so well-meaning and his technique to say what he wanted to say rarely let him down - and the Fourth Symphony has a lot going for it but finally dissolves into cliché, I fear - but that shellshock really did for him, notwithstanding what has to be accepted as a considerable triumph of determination over appalling adversity. The Eighth Symphony has some remarkable writing, especially for the strings, but to what does it all ultimately add up? Not enough, for me. The best thing that this Grand Musical Bard of Gorsedh Kernow (sorry, Mr Gundry!) ever did during his maturity was his Seventh Symphony, a work that really does stand out head and shoulders above most of the rest of his output, I think.
          Each to his own I suppose ahinton,George Llloyd's music means a lot to this listener at least.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            Those of us with no Latin and even less Greek have spent half a lifetime lying awake at night wondering why this is so wrong...
            those people like university academics in language and literature, who can argue black is white and even figure out stuff like Derrida, don't seem too bothered about split infinitives !
            and anyway, wise Mrs TS says that it isn't really wrong, because the rule was taken from latin, where it was just one word, and it doesn't apply.
            And it doesn't do to argue with her on this stuff.
            And I know I started a sentence with "and". Two, actually !
            Last edited by teamsaint; 11-08-12, 17:21.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              wise Mrs TS says that it isn't really wrong, because the rule was taken from latin, where it was just one word, and it doesn't apply.
              "Wise" indeed!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
              X