Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The choice of works for the two Cadogan Hall afternoon portrait gigs of P.M. Davies and Harrison Birtwistle on, respectively, August 30 and Sept 8, pack in as much musical worth as any of the Albert Hall concerts. I shall definitely be going.

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      ...Frederick Kelly (1881-1916, an Australian and what one might call a near-contemporary of Lord Peter Wimsey at Balliol - name presumably therefore on the chapel war memorial which I walked past many times some 40 years ago little knowing...).
      And Kelly is featured on August 17th. He was (I believe) one of the pall bearers at Rupert Brooke's funeral. (Brooke, also a lieutenant in the Naval Brigade, died of blood poisoning on the way to Gallipoli.) Another pall bearer was W. Dennis Browne, who had been Brooke's friend (or fag, I believe) at Rugby. Browne wrote what I've seen called the greatest song in English, To Gratiana dancing and singing, which is on the CD you refer to. It's a smasher. He was killed in the Dardanelles and his body never recovered.

The Naval Brigade, of which Brooke, Kelly and Browne were members, comprised all those who'd volunteered for the Royal Navy but were not required. They were divided into Batallions named after Naval heroes - Hood, Drake, Nelson, etc - but fought as infantry under Royal Marine Light Infantry and regular Army commanding officers, supported by Royal Marine Artillery. Some regular Army officers attached to them often couldn't hack it. Shoddy discipline (by Army standards), 'laid back' appearance, and beards!! They distinguished themselves on the Somme, though.
      Last edited by Pabmusic; 28-04-14, 01:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        In my opinion, the finest of all Elgar's choral works. I wouldn't change a single note.
        An opinion that Sir Adrian shared.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          Anyone mentioned Alberic Magnard yet? Killed by a sniper.
          It was Webern who was killed at the end of WWII, not by a sniper but by a soldier who challenged him after curfew when he stepped outside to light a cigarette. Saki met a similar death by lighting up in a trench during WW1 . It's a pity that the perils of having a puff were not known earlier, I would certainly have liked to have heard more Webern, and who knows? Saki might have written an even better story than Shredi Vashtar.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
            ...Saki might have written an even better story than Shredi Vashtar.
            I can't believe it...

Comment

It was Webern who was killed at the end of WWII, not by a sniper but by a soldier who challenged him after curfew when he stepped outside to light a cigarette. Saki met a similar death by lighting up in a trench during WW1 . It's a pity that the perils of having a puff were not known earlier, I would certainly have liked to have heard more Webern, and who knows? Saki might have written an even better story than Shredi Vashtar.
              Actually, Saki was not lighting up - it was one of his fellow soldiers. Saki's last words were "Put out that bloody cigarette!" before he was shot.

Comment

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                Actually, Saki was not lighting up - it was one of his fellow soldiers. Saki's last words were "Put out that bloody cigarette!" before he was shot.
                Quite right Aeolium, sorry about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                  And Kelly is featured on August 17th. He was (I believe) one of the pall bearers at Rupert Brooke's funeral. (Brooke, also a lieutenant in the Naval Brigade, died of blood poisoning on the way to Gallipoli.) Another pall bearer was W. Dennis Browne, who had been Brooke's friend (or fag, I believe) at Rugby. Browne wrote what I've seen called the greatest song in English, To Gratiana dancing and singing, which is on the CD you refer to. It's a smasher. He was killed in the Dardanelles and his body never recovered.

The Naval Brigade, of which Brooke, Kelly and Browne were members, comprised all those who'd volunteered for the Royal Navy but were not required. They were divided into Batallions named after Naval heroes - Hood, Drake, Nelson, etc - but fought as infantry under Royal Marine Light Infantry and regular Army commanding officers, supported by Royal Marine Artillery. Some regular Army officers attached to them often couldn't hack it. Shoddy discipline (by Army standards), 'laid back' appearance, and beards!! They distinguished themselves on the Somme, though.
                  Well, the initial bulk of men were RNVR not required for sea service, but as time went on there was direct recruitment, which included Brooke and Denis Browne. Both (but particularly Brooke) were acquaintances of Sir Edward Marsh who was a leading light in the circles of the Georgian Poets (which included Brooke). Professionally, Marsh ws private secretary to Churchill at the Admiralty and it was he who obtained commissions for both Brooke and Denis Browne in the RND (Brooke refused to take a commission unless Denis Browne also received one). More than just being a pall bearer, it was Denis Browne who chose the site of Brooke's grave.

Comment

Originally posted by David Underdown View Post
                    ...More than just being a pall bearer, it was Denis Browne who chose the site of Brooke's grave.
                    Thank you for a very interesting post.

Comment

It was Webern who was killed at the end of WWII, not by a sniper but by a soldier who challenged him after curfew when he stepped outside to light a cigarette. .....
                      This sad story has an even sadder background.
                      It was actually a cigar which Webern lighted, after darkness. He loved cigars and didn't want to smoke it inside as his grandchildren were staying there.
                      The soldier who shut him was heading for Webern's home as they were after his son-in-law, whom they wanted to visit and possibly arrest as he was engaged in the black market. Webern's cigar was a black market one, provided that afternoon by that son-in-law , who shortly afterwards served a term for black market trading.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        This sad story has an even sadder background.
                        It was actually a cigar which Webern lighted, after darkness. He loved cigars and didn't want to smoke it inside as his grandchildren were staying there.
                        The soldier who shut him was heading for Webern's home as they were after his son-in-law, whom they wanted to visit and possibly arrest as he was engaged in the black market. Webern's cigar was a black market one, provided that afternoon by that son-in-law , who shortly afterwards served a term for black market trading.
                        And even more tragically, the soldier who shot Webern was so consumed by guilt that he commited suicide.
                        O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                          And even more tragically, the soldier who shot Webern was so consumed by guilt that he commited suicide.
                          That I didn't know.... Misère de misères...
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            24 August 2013
                            Royal Albert Hall

Wagner
                            Rienzi ‒ overture (12 mins)
                            Ravel
                            Piano Concerto in G major (22 mins)
                            INTERVAL
                            Shostakovich
                            Symphony No. 5 in D minor (49 mins)

Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester
                            Jean-Yves Thibaudet piano
                            Philippe Jordan conductor
                            Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Managed to score a couple of lovely seats for this concert (late returns) to take Ravel-enthused pianist godson (who doesn't yet know the concertos) to see what Monsieur Thibaudet makes of the G major. Really looking forward to it!
                            On a lighter note, following the outstanding visit to the above last summer, godson and I plan to be at the ideal companion concert this year, esp to hear M. Tharaud take on the other Ravel concerto.... with a huge bonus after the interval and an intriguing starter !

Wednesday 30 July 2014
                            7.30pm
                            Royal Albert Hall

Sir Harrison Birtwistle
                            Night's Black Bird (13 mins)

Ravel
                            Concerto for Piano in D major for the Left Hand (18 mins)

INTERVAL

Mahler
                            Symphony No. 5 in C sharp minor (73 mins)

Alexandre Tharaud piano
                            BBC Philharmonic
                            Juanjo Mena conductor

Can't wait for this one!
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              On a lighter note, following the outstanding visit to the above last summer, godson and I plan to be at the ideal companion concert this year, esp to hear M. Tharaud take on the other Ravel concerto.... with a huge bonus after the interval and an intriguing starter !

Wednesday 30 July 2014
                              7.30pm
                              Royal Albert Hall

Sir Harrison Birtwistle
                              Night's Black Bird (13 mins)

Ravel
                              Concerto for Piano in D major for the Left Hand (18 mins)

INTERVAL

Mahler
                              Symphony No. 5 in C sharp minor (73 mins)

Alexandre Tharaud piano
                              BBC Philharmonic
                              Juanjo Mena conductor

Can't wait for this one!
                              Indeed! Anyone who finds Birtwistle's music a tad uncompromising should take to this gorgeously orchestrated, atmospheric work without much difficulty. In it, Sir Harry sounds closer to Debussy than in any of his other pieces.

Comment

Here's a list of the Proms concerts that will be shown on TV. I'm pleased to see that the "Lest We Forget" concert is one of them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/...es/proms-on-tv

Comment

Working...
                                X