Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not too excited by the "rare " British works.
    Why Alwyn 1? not the best choice from his works, surely?

Why a complete Brahms cycle?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
      Schumann is also represented by a single work (Piano Concerto).
      I'd get yerself down the QEH tomorrow night instead, @Noggo. £10 and you get a seat, with some LvB and " No pieces at the Proms" Haydn thrown in.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

So what's happened to Roger Wright's programme of trashy Proms? I haven't found a single one.
        All broadcasts from the 120th season of the BBC Proms.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          So what's happened to Roger Wright's programme of trashy Proms? I haven't found a single one.
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/2014/print-season
          a number of the late night proms don't look too promising........trashy?......maybe.......

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            a number of the late night proms don't look too promising........trashy?......maybe.......
            Missa Solemnis looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              Missa Solemnis looks good.
              indeed. I didn't really have that in mind in the " Trashy" category, TBF !!
              I know people who are still searching for the perfect performance, perhaps JEG will provide.

Despite my grumble about the Brahms cycle, that should be a good evenings music.

(an expert writes......)
              Last edited by teamsaint; 24-04-14, 16:04. Reason: changed mr Cheerful to JEG.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                Why Alwyn 1? not the best choice from his works, surely?
                whether the best or not, the first four symphonies are to be considered (as Alwyn himself did) as one extended symphoy in four parts and 16 mvts. So, why a Brahms cycle, and not an Alwyn one?

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  whether the best or not, the first four symphonies are to be considered (as Alwyn himself did) as one extended symphonie in four parts and 16 mvts. So, why a Brahms cycle, and not an Alwyn one?
                  actually, I have never read that about the first 4 Alwyn Symphonies , and didn't know it, so I must thank you , and wander off to my CDs to do the decent thing.
                  (must pay more attention in class.....)

No doubt my appreciation of #1 will improve as a result.....

Thanks. Thats work over for the day, then.....

Edit: Perhaps this IS the start of a 4 year cycle of the first 4 ......!!! Hmmmmmm...
                  Last edited by teamsaint; 24-04-14, 16:23.

Comment

On first general perusal I would call it the Essential Breakfast Proms, full of RW's favourite old warhorses. The annual insult to an anniversary composer that RW dislikes this year Andrzej Panufnik, his daughter gets a piece though! The usual dangling carrots to the British music lovers, this year my favourite Violin Concerto the Moeran (expected after the recent successful recording), nicely paired with Walton in the first half, but lumbered with a new commission and the overplayed Enigma Variations in the 2nd half, won't waste my money on half a concert. The same with the Mathias. The Alwyn and RVW Job, is about the only Prom to go to for me, would have been far better if the Moeran was paired with Job. As for the rest, American music, the same hackneyed bits of Essential Breakfast Copland plus Reich and Adams. The Rachmaninov Bells would have been good to hear live, but its lumbered with the 1812 Overture, so again a half concert only. Why all the b#**%$ Mahler and Ravel? No Bruckner, Haydn (totally disgraceful) or Mendelssohn, let alone Hindemith, Martinu, Roussel etc etc A composer I would have liked to have seen with the WW I anniversary would have been Cecil Coles, his loss was for me of far greater significance than Butterworth.

Thank God RW is going, hopefully something more interesting next year and a Mahler free Proms!

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                      ... RW is going, hopefully something more interesting next year.
                      I am sure next year is pretty much finalized...

Comment

a preview of prom 24 tonight with Mahler 9/ BBCSSO/Runnicles

Comment

Some desperate stuff - The lark ascending again - we had it last from Nige . Bruch 1 with ASMF Bell and Marriner - could they not think of another concerto for crying out loud.

The LGO and Chailly will be good to hear as usual but much of the rest of the season, barring Pabmusic's event though I also resent the lack of a Cecil Coles piece, is all too Roger Wright and I fear for Aldeburgh .

Comment

Which I mentioned in #90

(but it is difficult to keep track of all the posts in such a rapid thread)

Comment

can anyone tell me anything about the staged St Matthew Passion - are performers in costume ?
                              perhaps its on youtube - I notice it is not one of the televised proms which I would have thought is a missed opportunity

and I'm not familiar with this 50 minutes worth of Walton Henry V - is that the complete film music ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                                Who is the soprano soloist in the VW Pastoral Symphony, last movement?
                                Or maybe there is a version for tenor, heaven help us?
                                RVW's score for his 'Pastoral' says "Soprano or Tenor" in the finale and furthermore adds that the vocal line is "to be played by 1st clarinet when there is no vocal soloist." A tenor was used in the 1998 Proms, when Andrew Davis and the BBC SO played it, with Paul Agnew situated up in the gallery along with the solo trumpeter in the 2nd movement. Further back than that, in the 1970s, when Andre Previn and the LSO played it at the RFH, the solo vocal line was played by Jack Brymer, clarinet.

Comment

Working...
                                X