Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I dream I or did they do a compilation programme of televised new works one year?

Comment

Originally posted by Lento View Post
      Did I dream I or did they do a compilation programme of televised new works one year?
      Last year they did. I didn't watch but I remember Tom Service and Gillian Moore discussing it.

I've been away for a couple of days so haven't caught up: did anyone note

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...music-tv-proms ?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Last year they did. I didn't watch but I remember Tom Service and Gillian Moore discussing it.
        Thanks: I think a compilation programme of new works is a useful idea, but not so good if it means the new works are then omitted from other televised Proms. I can't remember whether this was the case last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lento View Post
          Thanks: I think a compilation programme of new works is a useful idea, but not so good if it means the new works are then omitted from other televised Proms. I can't remember whether this was the case last year.
          If you mean removing the the new works from the concerts, they did. We wrote to ask Roger Wright about it.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I happened upon this little bit of nonsense and corporation-speak. Gramophone should be ashamed to publish it:

Constraints imposed by time and the ebbing will to live mean that I will comment on only two extracts but there is plenty more half-truth and obfuscation in there for MBers to have fun with.

"There has also been some suggestion that the BBC is ‘ghettoising’ new music from the Proms by not broadcasting any concerts on television with the proms they were performed with and putting them online only – I would like to assure our audience that this absolutely isn’t the case we have as usual and comparable to previous years broadcast new music on television and with their original Proms" - news to me; I must have blinked for longer than I thought. It's not a suggestion of "ghettoising" - it's an allegation and it's blatantly obvious that it is the case.

"This year, as with every year, we are editorialising the Proms – this is not new. We do this due to the television slots and scheduling considerations and based on audience feedback." - translation: We are hacking the Proms around so as not to offend golf viewers and because somebody in Tunbridge Wells tweeted their dislike of anything new and challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
              Gramophone should be ashamed to publish it:
              I thinkit was right of reply - they had already published the criticism.

I haven't the energy to go through to check exactly what was 'on BBC One' and 'on BBC Two'. This presumably was the 'Commissioning Editor' of whom an earlier BBC spokesperson spake. Greg Sanderson. Retenez ça ...

Comment

I'm confused as to what "editorialising" might mean. Is Greg Sanderson embroidering the plainer word "editing"; or is he getting at something more sinister involving the Tory Suits at the top?

Otherwise, I can only concur with EnemyoftheStoat as to the high garbage quotient of this illiterate piece of corporate-speak. Mr Sanderson needs to think before he writes. He also needs to check his facts before making false claims he cannot substantiate. If he's a fair example of the current brand of "BBC Commissioning Editors" no wonder the Corporation finds itself up such a tacky gum tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                  I'm confused as to what "editorialising" might mean. Is Greg Sanderson embroidering the plainer word "editing"; or is he getting at something more sinister involving the Tory Suits at the top?
                  No, I think he meant editorialize: "orig. U.S. intr. To write editorials; to make editorial comment; to introduce editorial comments or an editorial slant into a factual account, etc"

If he's the commissioning editor, he was putting his editorial spin, I mean slant, on it.

But in any case, it is a load of garbage. Not sure what Gramophone's motive was in publishing it ...

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    If you mean removing the the new works from the concerts, they did. We wrote to ask Roger Wright about it.
                    Did anyone listen to The Now Show on R4 last Friday? They commented on this.

Please listen to the episode or to the podcast. Just about all of it was brilliant. The comments about the Proms and the new music come towards the end, but the whole episode is worth a listen for its commentary on recent current affairs including the dreaded Scotland issue, Putin and ISIS.
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X