• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    Slightly baffled by the unpleasant tone of this thread. She's not quite my style but I don't feel the need to sneer at her, especially before her Proms performance has even taken place. She was quite good value on the Graham Norton Show and is certainly no fool.
    The query is about the pose in the publicity picture which might seem a little odd to publicise the Proms.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Paloma Faith is very talented IMO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDeB5sDealI

This is an unfortunate thread - I almost wonder whether Blotto is a Radio 3 plant to discredit this forum - horribly snobbish thread

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        Paloma Faith is very talented IMO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDeB5sDealI

This is an unfortunate thread - I almost wonder whether Blotto is a Radio 3 plant to discredit this forum - horribly snobbish thread
        I refer to my Msg 16.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

As you'll see from this link...http://www.fishtankfashion.com/girl-crush-paloma-faith.html

Paloma chose her Proms 2014 outfit with great care - and considerable restraint.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            I'm no fan of Pop Go The Proms, but Paloma's here because she's been invited by those who should know better but lost their musical & cultural nerve some time ago... so don't shoot this glamorous messenger, She's only doing her job!
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

I really thought this (the picture) was a caricature of the Proms. It may make sense if you know who ‘she’ is but as I don’t, it looks plain idiotic. Are all Radio3 listeners assumed to recognise famous pop stars these days? Besides, why show four ‘personalities’ to represent 75 (?) concerts?
              Last edited by doversoul1; 23-08-14, 22:50.

Comment

• Blotto

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                The query is about the pose in the publicity picture which might seem a little odd to publicise the Proms.
                After all that it's a comedy pose, it appears. I still don't get the joke, though. Seeing three slim, groomed young women, one posing as a vamp, with the middle-aged fat man struck me as odd in this day and age. But reading some of the subsequent responses, I'm less sure now whether I'm behind the times or ahead of them.

Sex sells, I get that, but it doesn't have to be used to sell, does it? There's some dignity in resisting that temptation.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

BBC publicity has become pretty crude and silly. That's really what it's about. We should be grateful that two classical musicians got a look-in.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

I give up .

If it cannot be seen how snobbish and head in the clouds this thread appears then it is hardly a surprise that the views on this forum seem to be so regularly ignored by Radio 3 - it simply supports the way Radio 3 listeners unhappy with the current direction are caricatured by the powers that be at Radio 3 .

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Athanasius contra mundum.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

O Ye of little Faith...

Comment

• Blotto

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          Slightly baffled by the unpleasant tone of this thread. She's not quite my style but I don't feel the need to sneer at her, especially before her Proms performance has even taken place. She was quite good value on the Graham Norton Show and is certainly no fool.
                          Regardless of who she is, g, what's she doing in the picture?

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Blotto View Post
                            Regardless of who she is, g, what's she doing in the picture?
                            Hey Blott, have you ever heard of Google? It's not a bad way of, y'know, finding stuff out... (Start from posts nos. 13 & 19. Show some standard-issue human curiosity...)

I'm afraid you understand the concept of Publicity or Paloma Faith's own stylistic & artistic values rather less than you understand those of Harrison Birtwistle. I mean, for the latter we can at least give you a "C" for effort...
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 24-08-14, 01:32.

Comment

• Oldcrofter
                              • Dec 2010

re Blotto message 28

Brit Award-nominated Paloma Faith brings her sleek vocals and retro style to a Late Night Prom. The British singer-songwriter is joined by a 42-piece Jazz Orchestra and the Urban Voices Collective. This is cabaret, Royal Albert Hall-style.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                                I'm afraid you understand the concept of Publicity or Paloma Faith's own stylistic & artistic values rather less than you understand those of Harrison Birtwistle. I mean, for the latter we can at least give you a "C" for effort...
                                I think people understand the concept of 'publicity' very well. But the the image seems (to some, not to others, granted) alien to the idea of promoting the Proms. Mutatis mutandis, expect Michael Eavis to announce he intends to build a small **** hotel in the corner of one of his fields for the over 60s who feel uncomfortable about staying in a tent with tens of thousands of teens and twenties in a muddy field. Publicity pic of OAPs sitting on plastic picnic chairs, knotted hankies on heads, nodding away alongside an assortment of Glastonbury regulars, because 'Glastonbury is for everyone'.

The advantage Glastonbury has over the Proms is that they have the young people. Though, being a canny businessman, Michael Eavis might well do this if he thought it would be commercially successful - and wouldn't upset his existing customers.

If the BBC really wanted to familiarise a new audience with classical music (and its quaint customs!), they would find a little more space for it on their mainstream services. But their research shows that the under-35s 'avoid politics, religion and classical music' so they keep it off the mainstream services as far as they can get away with, and lure the young people to the Proms with more pop music. As Barbirollians might have said: I give up

[NB This does not include any personal comments about the talents of Paloma Faith, the Pet Shiop Boys, Laura Mvula,, Jules Buckley, John Wilson ...]

Comment

Working...
                                X