Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

french frank in post 9 of this thread introduced the subject of the BBC hoping to encourage a non classical audience to the proms and has given some very reasoned arguments here and in other threads as to why they are failing to achieve this. The previous posts in this thread and some subsequently seemed silly because most of us despite whether we like it or not realise that the image as opposed to the content has so much perceived influence that all forms of media/PR [including classical music PR - there are plenty of images of airbrushed classical musicians] use it incessantly. My advice rise above it and ignore it.
    In post 14 gurnemanz introduced his opinion that posters were having a go at Paloma Faith for her inclusion at the proms. I was just agreeing with him. And then too barbirollians added that he felt the thread was taking a snobbish tone. Petrushka's tone in her post ("none of whom I'd previously heard of let alone encountered") are why perhaps the BBC are promoting the "pop" acts so heavily. Maybe the regular proms audience needs to widen it's musical knowledge (and this is not to say you have to like it).

Comment

Originally posted by pureimagination View Post
      french frank in post 9 of this thread introduced the subject of the BBC hoping to encourage a non classical audience to the proms and has given some very reasoned arguments here and in other threads as to why they are failing to achieve this. The previous posts in this thread and some subsequently seemed silly because most of us despite whether we like it or not realise that the image as opposed to the content has so much perceived influence that all forms of media/PR [including classical music PR - there are plenty of images of airbrushed classical musicians] use it incessantly. My advice rise above it and ignore it.
      In post 14 gurnemanz introduced his opinion that posters were having a go at Paloma Faith for her inclusion at the proms. I was just agreeing with him. And then too barbirollians added that he felt the thread was taking a snobbish tone. Petrushka's tone in her post ("none of whom I'd previously heard of let alone encountered") are why perhaps the BBC are promoting the "pop" acts so heavily. Maybe the regular proms audience needs to widen it's musical knowledge (and this is not to say you have to like it).
      One has only so long a life to acquaint oneself with all the wonderful art music that was once Radio 3's proud claim to be introducing to people otherwise heavily exposed to commercial pop. This was not iirc done by fronting publicity with images of pop artists.

Comment

I agree with you S_A wholeheartedly but I love seeking out music i've never heard before and don't rely on one source to provide it. I would only suggest that there are plenty of artists and music [no examples - my tastes are very personal - to save debate] which get's labelled as 'pop' through no choice of their own but which is highly enjoyable and worthy of praise or accolades.

Comment

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
          [...] it isn't isolated - there are many occasions when some of us inwardly cringe at Radio 3's wrongfooted attempts to reach out. It's as if they have no faith in their core product. And presenters are presenters, and some of us don't need/want to see the women glammed up to the eyeballs to appreciate their contribution.

Although the OP may not have intended it of this thread, many of the following posts are about the photo (and BTW is it not on the printed Proms Programme?) being an example of crass 'marketing' by Radio Three; of which the focus on presenters, rather than musicians, in the website is another example; and the popularisation of the presentation style of Breakfast, the other morning programmes and the hiring in of 'star' presenters are further examples. And as has been pointed out, audience figures have not risen: whereas I read ample anecdotal evidence on these boards that many long-term R3 listeners have abjured morning programmes in disgust and disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Although the OP may not have intended it of this thread, many of the following posts are about the photo (and BTW is it not on the printed Proms Programme?) being an example of crass 'marketing' by Radio Three ...
            Forgive me swooping in so briskly to comment ...

I'm the OP and I haven't any quarrel with accusations of crass marketing. I just found the image slightly ludicrous and questionable.

But I do refute the suggestion that the thread was snobbish. I don't know the girl but she's one of several popular artists with a serious reputation in her field who was asked to perform a late Prom amongst the poets and the jazz. I've no quarrel with that. It's just the Veronica Lake/Detrich vamping at 10 am that struck me as bizarre. If the horse had been a little more prominent, that line-up might have served to plug a circus.

By all means, have her sing and dance but the composite image of which she forms a part is made a little silly. Really, that was all. Now that I know who she is, I wish her good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Blotto View Post
              Forgive me swooping in so briskly to comment ...

I'm the OP and I haven't any quarrel with accusations of crass marketing. I just found the image a slightly ludicrous and questionable.

But I do refute the suggestion that the thread was snobbish. I don't know the girl but she's one of several popular artists with a serious reputation in her field who was asked to perform a late Prom amongst the poets and the jazz. I've no quarrel with that. It's just the Veronica Lake/Detrich vamping at 10 am that struck me as bizarre. If the horse had been a little more prominent, that line-up might have served to plug a circus.

By all means, have her sing and dance but the composite image of which she forms a part is made a little silly. Really, that was all.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

Paloma's here because she's been invited by those who should know better but lost their musical & cultural nerve some time ago...

[/I]
                Spot on and says it all. What we have here is trahison des clercs. Next year expect an over-enthusiastically made-up blonde in stahlhelm and fishnets singing 'Ich bin die fesche Lola.'

Comment

Originally posted by Ockeghem's Razor View Post
                  Spot on and says it all. What we have here is trahison des clercs. Next year expect an over-enthusiastically made-up blonde in stahlhelm and fishnets singing 'Ich bin die fesche Lola.'
                  Blimey! The things Boris does to become PM!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

I have a feeling it might turn out more like Ms Steafel's remarkable Popsy Wopsy

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Blotto View Post
                        By all means, have her sing and dance but the composite image of which she forms a part is made a little silly. Really, that was all. Now that I know who she is, I wish her good luck.
                        Presumably the photograph is supposed to show the breadth of the Proms - the conductor is holding his stick (I've given you a big opening there, folks ) which shows what he does; the violinist is holding her instrument, which shows what she does, the presenter is holding her breath (or maybe she's holding her sides because they're sore from laughing at one of her own inane comments), which shows what she does, and Paloma Faith is holding a pose, which show what she does, possibly. I don't think that it's neccessarily the inclusion of Paloma Faith that makes the photograph silly.

(I've no idea what the horse is holding.)

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          I guess I am still interested in some of the music of my youth. Seeing the (remains of) the Stranglers, (the first punk band I really loved) at the Proms with an orchestral backing didn't really impress me.
                          Seeing Hugh Cornwell (their original singer and major songwriter) at a small festival in a three piece band playing substantially newer material last week felt worthwhile, and altogether more enjoyable.

So you can rebrand till you are blue in the teeth, but a discerning audience KNOWS when it is being sold a pup.

Personally,I think that If you wanted to rebrand the Proms for a youth market, Malcolm Maclaren would have been the the best bet. Now HE could have done it, and boy would he have had fun......

Hugh Cornwall and Imogen Cooper are 65 today - do a lot of people know that?

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                            Hugh Cornwall and Imogen Cooper are 65 today - do a lot of people know that?
                            Now that combination would make an interesting Prom!

...and by all that is not Cornish - should it not be Cornwell?

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              I don't think that it's neccessarily the inclusion of Paloma Faith that makes the photograph silly.
                              But The Pose was surely the icing on the cakeā€¦

Comment

Working...
                              X