Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maestro267 View Post
    Thankfully no disturbances so far. Hopefully it'll stay that way through the Mahler. There's a time and place for protest, and the concert hall is not it. Don't put it out on the musicians who have taken the time to rehearse and present this wonderful music to us.

Comment

A sort of Beef Oven performance of Mahler 6 so far. I am staying with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        A sort of Beef Oven performance of Mahler 6 so far. I am staying with it.
        I'm not entirely sure what the poster means here, but I'm taking it as a compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          Let's try to stay together, chaps.
          It's a double insult really. First, Gergiev's politics and then he can't even produce a decent performance. First half was pretty rotten, and Mahler shows no improvement. Just workman-like dull. He was conducting in Latvia on thursday night, so this band can't have had that much rehearsal. A bunch of star players (?) still need to rehearse properly. Same idea, Luzern Festival orchestra, understood that.

Comment

The cows were running pretty fast around the Gallery at the climax of the Andante.

Comment

Actually it was the 10th I meant. Nice banner - haven't watched the Vid as yet...

Comment

No disturbances. A victory for Music! Quite a magnificent performance of Mahler 6 as well.

Comment

No disturbances. A victory for Music! Quite a magnificent performance of Mahler 6 as well.

I attended an awesome Gergiev Mahler 6 at the Barbican a few years back. Electric performance, but it didn't come across on the CD release.

He's musician of the first order and I'm pleased Chip Shop Forlornly endorsed him, this evening.

Comment

No disturbances. A victory for Music! .
                    How is it a "victory for music" ?
                    It would seem to me (and I wasn't there/didn't listen) that it might be a "victory" for those who think that music is merely entertainment ?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      How is it a "victory for music" ?
                      It would seem to me (and I wasn't there/didn't listen) that it might be a "victory" for those who think that music is merely entertainment ?
                      "Merely entertainment"? Merely?

Entertainment is what life is all about, do not denigrate it, please.

Comment

The concert threads are for discussing the concerts - certainly once the appropriate concert has actually begun. Choose an appropriate thread for discussing anything else, please.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Caught the last movement of Gergiev's Mahler 6 this evening. Decidedly unimpressed ... it sounded to me like going through the motions. Why the rush to get to the last bar? This music needs to breathe, it's about as neurotic as Mahler got.

Comment

I heard the first work and the last movement of the Mahler. I was shocked that people actually cheered what was, if the last movement was anything to go by, a totally underwhelming performance of the piece. How anyone could cheer and applaud an apologist for a warlord whom most westerners hold personally responsible for the deliberate murder of nearly 300 innocent civilians is totally beyond my comprehension. I stand by earlier remarks that Gergiev should not have been allowed into the country to conduct this concert.

By the way, what happened to a number of posts comparing Gergiev's support for Putin with Herbert von Karajan's membership of the Nazi Party in both its Austrian and German incarnations? Karajan may have risen to the summit of his profession but he was never welcomed in the USA for political reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              The concert threads are for discussing the concerts - certainly once the appropriate concert has actually begun. Choose an appropriate thread for discussing anything else, please.
                              Ok boss
                              Dahlhaus not on the menu tonight then ?

Comment

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                                I heard the first work and the last movement of the Mahler. I was shocked that people actually cheered what was, if the last movement was anything to go by, a totally underwhelming performance of the piece. How anyone could cheer and applaud an apologist for a warlord whom most westerners hold personally responsible for the deliberate murder of nearly 300 innocent civilians is totally beyond my comprehension. I stand by earlier remarks that Gergiev should not have been allowed into the country to conduct this concert.

By the way, what happened to a number of posts comparing Gergiev's support for Putin with Herbert von Karajan's membership of the Nazi Party in both its Austrian and German incarnations? Karajan may have risen to the summit of his profession but he was never welcomed in the USA for political reasons.
                                I think that you'd be less shocked if you were actually there. There's a big difference between how this music comes across live, and how it comes across on the radio.

I think you'll find the audience were applauding the music, not any political matters.

Comment

Working...
                                X