Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And slow movement 2nd. Worked well I thought. I wondered why those clouds of dust following the hammer blows? For effect, not used very often or someone just hadn't dusted?

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
      Yes it did,I watched on BBC 4 earlier.
      The brass and timps seemed out of sync with each other,I think.
      Minor blip though.
      I watched the TV relay this morning.

Can't say that I was disappointed, because it was what I expected when you assemble players from orchestras all over the world, refearse them for a few hours and expect them to play as a cohesive unit.

It just doesn't work. Every orchestra has its own distinctive sound. This orchestra had no recognisable style at all.

Who decides who sits where? Is it a case of "First come, first served"? Bums on seats?.

String players, woodwind players, brass players are used to working as a cohesive section - not in a group of mis-matched
      styles, whatever their individual qualities may be.

All brought together in an attempt to form an impressive unit by a conductor with a toothpick clenched in those twiddling fingers.

My reaction was that it was no more than an exercise in political democracy and the result can only be one of musical accuracy and conviction if good luck prevails.

Unfortunately, the luck ran out too often to leave a glow of satisfaction.

HS

BTW What that our own Jennifer Galloway playing third oboe? For me, she is the star player of the BBC Philharmonic
      Last edited by Hornspieler; 15-08-14, 14:12.

Comment

Mahler 6

Always preferred my Mahler at the pace Gergiev took it. My Fav recording is Royal Scottish National with Neeme Jarvi. All these turgid dragged out mahler performances are boring and ineffective, Infact many of the Mahler recordings in the middle part of the the 20th Century were at a faster tempo. It's only the 70's 80's on when "over gilding the lily" as its called came into fashion.
        "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

Saw/heard the Mahler 6 on the BBC4 broadcast the other night. I enjoyed it overall, and thought the tempi worked; I also have to admit to liking the trick of having powdered rosin or something on the "hammer" block, so that when the guy hit it with that enormous mallet, there appeared to be a cloud of smoke. But - one biggie - what happened to the third hammer blow??? (I missed the introductory spiel - did they say anything about leaving it out? I know that Mahler himself would never allow it to be played in his lifetime (presumably he thought it would kill him) - but as far as I knew, after his death it was included as standard.)

The other thing I didn't like was the ending bit, where they cut from the audience applause to Tom Service standing outside the hall and going on about how applause seemed inappropriate. It just felt as though the orchestra and conductor didn't get acknowledged as they deserved.

(BTW - does anyone else have a nagging ambition to be the guy who strikes the hammer blows? Must be one of the high points of a percussionist's career (along with that moment in Messiaen's "Et Exspecto" when the big tamtam has to be rolled up to its maximum possible volume.))

Comment

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
            (BTW - does anyone else have a nagging ambition to be the guy who strikes the hammer blows?
            You mean God? No, not yet, thanks - a bit above my pay grade.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
              The other thing I didn't like was the ending bit, where they cut from the audience applause to Tom Service standing outside the hall and going on about how applause seemed inappropriate. It just felt as though the orchestra and conductor didn't get acknowledged as they deserved.
              Perhaps they were worried there might be a lot of booing or demonstrations?

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                Perhaps they were worried there might be a lot of booing or demonstrations?
                It was recorded so any editing could have been done post-concert anyway.

The 'cloud of smoke' at the moment of the hammer blows seemed like dust to me and I thought the percussionist was going to topple over after he struck the second one.

I also miss the third hammer blow. Not many conductors include it (who does by the way?) but there is no good reason to omit it nowadays as it dilutes the intense drama of the moment. and Mahler's alleged superstition is surly no longer relevant. However, I think that the latest edition of the score does include just the two blows.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  I also miss the third hammer blow. Not many conductors include it (who does by the way?) but there is no good reason to omit it nowadays as it dilutes the intense drama of the moment. and Mahler's alleged superstition is surly no longer relevant. However, I think that the latest edition of the score does include just the two blows.
                  Not sure who does now, but Mackerras did for the performance issued as a BBCMM cover disc.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Welcome to the Forum, by the way!
                    Thanks for that. It is so good to have somewhere to share thoughts and feelings about R3 matters.

Comment

The clouds of dust made the hammer blows even more visually ludicrous than usual, why not record something suitably ominous and play that at the apt moment or simply use an enormous bass drum/anvil etc to preserve something of the intended seriousness.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                        The clouds of dust made the hammer blows even more visually ludicrous than usual
                        It does tend to lend itself to unintended hilarity: during an amateur performance I played violin in the handle came off.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                          The clouds of dust made the hammer blows even more visually ludicrous than usual, why not record something suitably ominous and play that at the apt moment or simply use an enormous bass drum/anvil etc to preserve something of the intended seriousness.
                          Wouldn't it be simpler just to ban the whole piece from performance?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                            Good Idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                              Elf 'n safety?

Comment

Originally posted by Lento View Post
                                Elf 'n safety?
                                Is that why Mahler cut the third stroke?

Comment

Working...
                                X