Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A big bump for this thread, as a reminder that this concert including wor Pabs's unanimously raved-about orchestration is on BBC4 TV this evening from 7.30pm
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      ...unanimously raved-about orchestration...

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post

Raving is a good thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          A big bump for this thread, as a reminder that this concert including wor Pabs's unanimously raved-about orchestration is on BBC4 TV this evening from 7.30pm
          And for them as don't have television, awailable on their computers for a spell thereafter
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            And for them as don't have television, awailable on their computers for a spell thereafter
            Quite so

Comment

I watched the TV repeat and am very glad I did. The Butterworth arrangements have been rightly praised and I can only add my congratulations and thanks to Pab for his subtle and sensitive work and the beautiful singing of Roderick Williams. I look forward to hearing these arrangements again. It makes me wonder whether Dies Natalis couldn't after all be performed in the RAH.
              The VW 3rd performance was up there with best the season has produced, as fine or a finer performance than the Elgar 2 and the Nielsen 5. One can hear the influence of Ravel and Sibelius in the third but that takes nothing from VW whose genius was never more apparent than in this piece. As the performance progressed I felt the intensity grow with conductor and orchestra at one, great ensemble and superb solo work from the players. Wow!
              Last edited by gradus; 25-08-14, 09:45.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                As the performance progressed I felt the intensity grow with conductor and orchestra at one, great ensemble and superb solo work from the players. Wow!
                In a nutshell !

Comment

I watched the recording of the concert last night and can't resist adding my voice to the chorus of admirers of Roderick Williams' performance and Pab's orchestration. I will certainly be keeping the recording and listening to it again.

Having recently also enjoyed Mr Williams in concert in Schubert songs arranged by Webern and Mahler Rückert Lieder, I shall also be keeping an eye out for future concerts with him.

Comment

The afternoon repeat is this coming Thursday (the 29th) at 2 pm.

Comment

Pabs!! Have a word with your agent / publisher! Just catching up with the 'Proms Extra' programme, and one of the guests was Sascha Goetzel, who announced that he has decided to do the songs with his Borusan orchestra in Istanbul...

Comment

Finally got to hear Pab's piece tonight.

Absolutely lovely, and will certainly be" listening again," again !!

Will be sending links to all and sundry shortly.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Late to the proceedings on this Prom as well, but in general, I agree with the positive assessment of this Prom. The Rudi Stephan work was definitely a real find. While the Kelly work might have been 'simpler' in its construction and materials, as Andrew Manze noted in the pre-concert recorded remarks, on its own terms, it worked fine. Nice job from Pabs in his orchestration of the Butterworth, and outstanding work from Roderick Williams. (Unfortunately, Penny Gore forgot to mention Pabs in her intro and outro remarks, or that this was an arrangement at all, since Butterworth didn't write the originals for orchestra accompaniment, of course.)

Manze paced the VW very well indeed. My quibbles are ones of relative balance of the trumpet in the 2nd movement, which felt too close up and not distanced the way I'm used to hearing in recordings (or even the way Thomas Sondergard placed the side drum away from the orchestra in Nielsen 5). The trumpet solo lost poignancy from sounding too close. Likewise, even though Allan Clayton sang the melisma well in the finale, I'm just too used to the sound of a female voice as the 'voice from beyond' (or some such thing), blending with the orchestra. Still, RVW 3 is one of those works that I've unfortunately never heard live, and I'm not sure that I'll ever get the chance. One takes what one can get.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                            ... (Unfortunately, Penny Gore forgot to mention Pabs in her intro and outro remarks, or that this was an arrangement at all, since Butterworth didn't write the originals for orchestra accompaniment, of course.)...
                            No, she did mention me at the very end (the appropriate place of course, in all circumstances - a sort of footnote).

I think Andrew Manze was a little hard on Frederick Kelly in that interview - you could equally well say the same things about RVW's Tallis Fantasia (which Kelly clearly knew well). Also, the piece is grounded in the dorian mode, which Kelly felt was 'right' for a poet's burial on a Greek island - that, at least, ought to have been mentioned.

[Re-reading this, I see I've missed a trick. So, for the current contributors on Pedant's Paradise - would that it had been mentioned instead. ]
                            Last edited by Pabmusic; 22-09-14, 00:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                              No, she did mention me at the very end (the appropriate place of course, in all circumstances - a sort of footnote).

I think Andrew Manze was a little hard on Frederick Kelly in that interview - you could equally well say the same things about RVW's Tallis Fantasia (which Kelly clearly knew well). Also, the piece is grounded in the dorian mode, which Kelly felt was 'right' for a poet's burial on a Greek island - that, at least, ought to have been mentioned.
                              OK, fair point about PG mentioning you at the end; my bad. I was straining to listen for acknowledgement of you, but I obviously missed it somehow. Apologies to PG if she's reading this. Your analysis of AM's description of Frederick Kelly does capture it well, although perhaps AM tried to walk it back just a bit subsequently. All that aside, this was a well programmed Prom indeed. It will be interesting to see how the Great War theme continues for the next several Proms seasons (and other concert series in the UK, looking from a distance here).

Comment

One more chance to hear this Prom, albeit framed with a Dutch announcer from Radio 4 Netherlands:

Op de site van NPO Klassiek luister je online naar speellijsten en concerten met de mooiste klassieke muziek. Beluister jouw favoriete stukken.

Comment

Working...
                                X