7.30 p.m. – c. 9.50 p.m.
    Royal Albert Hall

Janáček: From the House of the Dead – overture
    Dvořák: Cello Concerto in B minor, op. 104

Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 in A, Op 92

Alisa Weilerstein, cello
    Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
    Jiří Bělohlávek, conductor

The evening opens with the authentic Czech soundscape of Janácek, in the overture from his final opera From the House of the Dead. Recent recordings of the Elgar and Dvorák cello concertos have propelled young American cellist Alisa Weilerstein into a fully fledged musical star. She makes her second visit to the Proms with the Dvorák - one of the great Romantic concertos. The composer sets his soloist against an unusually prominent orchestra, here the forces of the Czech Philharmonic, returning under Chief Conductor Jirí Belohlávek. After the interval Belohlávek directs Beethoven's 'apotheosis of the dance' - Wagner's expression referring to the rhythmic verve of the Seventh Symphony.
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 19-08-14, 17:56.

If you appreciate Czech music, it doesn't get much better than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      This is the Prom I'm really looking forward to! We're going to see the Czech Phil. under Mr. Whitehead twice this week. I just wish we were getting Alicia Weilerstein playing the Dvorak concerto as well. Mind you, we are getting Nicola Benedetti playing the Korngold concerto

Quite glad that Beethoven 7 is being replaced by Martinu symphony 4. Should be good!

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Just been listening to Ms Weilerstein's recording of the Dvorak - superb.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          This is the Prom I'm really looking forward to! We're going to see the Czech Phil. under Mr. Whitehead twice this week. I just wish we were getting Alicia Weilerstein playing the Dvorak concerto as well. Mind you, we are getting Nicola Benedetti playing the Korngold concerto

Quite glad that Beethoven 7 is being replaced by Martinu symphony 4. Should be good!
          Where d'you see that, pastle? I couldn't find it via google, and it would be great if it's true!

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            Where d'you see that, pastle? I couldn't find it via google, and it would be great if it's true!
            http://www.eif.co.uk/2014/czech1

Comment

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
              Oh. Right, THAT link is for the Edinburgh Usher Hall concert, yeah? Still DVorak Cello Cto & Beethoven 7 at THIS Prom 50 then.... are my wires getting crossed here? Or someone else's? I'm getting a headache. I'll come back later...

Comment

Oh. Right, THAT link is for the Edinburgh Usher Hall concert, yeah? Still DVorak Cello Cto & Beethoven 7 at THIS Prom 50 then.... are my wires getting crossed here? Or someone else's? I'm getting a headache. I'll come back later...
                The Prom is still as you say, jayne, I'm happy to say - pastoralguy referring to his concert, in Edimburgo.

Comment

Rather a shame to have the Beethoven rather than the Martinu in London . I find the conductor has rather more interesting interpretations of the latter than the former.

I shall be interested to hear Weilerstein in the concerto . As much as I liked her Elgar record I was distinctly underwhelmed by the two movements of the Dvorak hey played on CD Review .

Comment

Sorry Jayne. Re- reading I realise I was unclear. Sadly, our Edinburgh concerts weren't being recorded but George Whitehead's Martinu symphonies with the BBC Symphony are superb.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      Rather a shame to have the Beethoven rather than the Martinu in London . I find the conductor has rather more interesting interpretations of the latter than the former.

I shall be interested to hear Weilerstein in the concerto . As much as I liked her Elgar record I was distinctly underwhelmed by the two movements of the Dvorak hey played on CD Review .
                      Very surprised by that, BB. This is one of my top five favourite pieces and I rate Ms. Weilerstein's recording above all others.

Comment

Very surprised by that, BB. This is one of my top five favourite pieces and I rate Ms. Weilerstein's recording above all others.
                        Likewise, I didn't like to say! Superb recording, only arrived yesterday. Her timings similar to MR's recording with Czech Phil/Talich (rather brisker than HvK!)

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                          Likewise, I didn't like to say! Superb recording, only arrived yesterday. Her timings similar to MR's recording with Czech Phil/Talich (rather brisker than HvK!)
                          This really would be on my 'Desert Island Disc' list! (And may be my 'one choice' disc too!) I've been lucky enough to hear all the outstanding string players of her generation and I would put her tight at the top. Only IMHO, of course.

I believe she has a recording of the Kodaly Solo sonata coming out soon.

Comment

This really would be on my 'Desert Island Disc' list! (And may be my 'one choice' disc too!) I've been lucky enough to hear all the outstanding string players of her generation and I would put her tight at the top. Only IMHO, of course.

I believe she has a recording of the Kodaly Solo sonata coming out soon.
                            An October release I understand

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              An October release I understand
                              That'll be on my pre-order list...

Comment

Working...
                              X