Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry thought there was some heavy underlining of musical points and the Josefina theme in particular was over played - didn't like what i heard .

To each their own .

Comment

Comment

US cellist Alisa Weilerstein explains the enduring appeal of the Dvorak Cello Concerto ahead of her performance at the BBC Proms

Comment

Thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            the Josefina theme in particular was over played
            You get a double dose of it on the CD - the next piece on the disc is an arrangement of Lasst mich allein by John Lenehan for cello and piano (the remainder of the disc consists of Dvorak pieces for cello and piano).

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              You get a double dose of it on the CD - the next piece on the disc is an arrangement of Lasst mich allein by John Lenehan for cello and piano (the remainder of the disc consists of Dvorak pieces for cello and piano).

Comment

Mini-disc playing doing its funky thing!

Janacek sounding very good indeed. Now for the highlight...

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                  This really would be on my 'Desert Island Disc' list! (And may be my 'one choice' disc too!) I've been lucky enough to hear all the outstanding string players of her generation and I would put her tight at the top. Only IMHO, of course.

I believe she has a recording of the Kodaly Solo sonata coming out soon.
                  These things can be so very subjective . The Anja Thauer recording that Roehre recommended and which bowled me over did little for you .

Comment

These things can be so very subjective . The Anja Thauer recording that Roehre recommended and which bowled me over did little for you .
                    I know! It's amazing, isn't it?

Comment

I thought it was a super performance but I found the broadcast sound to be a bit indifferent. A little diffuse maybe?
                      I'm looking forward to hearing it tomorrow on mini-disc.

Some strange noises from the audience, I thought.

Comment

It was enjoyable but rather forgettable to my ears . Again over throbbing in the Josefina theme -

Thought the Bach encore was enchanting though .

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                          I thought it was a super performance but I found the broadcast sound to be a bit indifferent. A little diffuse maybe?
                          I'm looking forward to hearing it tomorrow on mini-disc.

Some strange noises from the audience, I thought.
                          Yes. Superb performance, I thought.

Agreed about the broadcast sound. Eruption of coughing just before the cadenza in the slow movement - as the Sundance Kid said, who are those people?

Comment

It was enjoyable but rather forgettable to my ears . Again over throbbing in the Josefina theme -

Thought the Bach encore was enchanting though .

Yes, I loved the Bach too.

Maybe it's because I'm a string player ( of ill repute) that I love all the vibrato and intensity.

I must listen to that Thauer disc again.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              Yes. Superb performance, I thought.

Agreed about the broadcast sound. Eruption of coughing just before the cadenza in the slow movement - as the Sundance Kid said, who are those people?
                              Do you think they 'listen again' and say 'that's me coughing there'?!

Comment

By the way the presenter commented on Alisa W's duetting and exchanging smiles with the leader, Josef Špaček - no mean soloist in his own right, he played the Mendelssohn in Cardiff with the Czech Phil and Jiří Bělohlávek, and I nabbed a couple of signed CDs in the interval - Ysaÿe sonatas, and solos by HW Ernst - staggering virtuosity.

Comment

Working...
                                X