• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 67 - 7.09.14: Qatar PO, Matsuev / Chang

Sunday, 7 September
    3.30 p.m. – c. 5.50 p.m.
    Royal Albert Hall

Behzad Ranjbaran: Seemorgh - The Sunrise (first performance at The Proms)
    Rachmaninov: Concerto for Piano No. 2 in C minor, Op 18

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5 in E minor

Denis Matsuev, piano
    Qatar Philharmonic Orchestra (Proms debut ensemble)
    Han-Na Chang, conductor (Proms debut artist as conductor)

Cellist and conductor Han-Na Chang makes her Proms conducting debut as Music Director of the Qatar Philharmonic Orchestra - one of this year's global orchestras, also making its debut. Their concert culminates in Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5, haunted by its recurring 'Fate' theme.

Vivid with contrasts and surging climaxes, the symphony is matched for drama by Rachmaninov's Second Piano Concerto, a Proms favourite whose slow movement burns with restrained passion. Behzad Ranjbaran's Seemorgh is inspired by the mythical Persian bird of its title.
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 31-08-14, 11:38.

And while we're having every obscure world orchestra, may I put in a plea for the return of the Vienna Philharmonic, which did only half a Prom last year and nothing at all this time round?

Comment

It's very bizarre - when I read this I thought it was a spoof! I hadn't picked up at all in my browsing of various Proms listings and booklets that the Qatar Phil were going to be in town !!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I hope they don't steal the show as the punishment for that sort of thing - and pretty much anything else - is severe in that part of the world.

Comment

(Wiki) Qatar is currently seeking membership in the EBU with hopes of soon entering the Eurovision Song Contest.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            It's very bizarre - when I read this I thought it was a spoof!
            What? Moi?

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Sunday, 7 September
              3.30 p.m. – c. 5.50 p.m.
              Royal Albert Hall

Behzad Ranjbaran: Seemorgh - The Sunrise (first performance at The Proms)
              Rachmaninov: Concerto for Piano No. 2 in C minor, Op 18

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5 in E minor

Denis Matsuev, piano
              Qatar Philharmonic Orchestra (Proms debut ensemble)
              Han-Na Chang, conductor (Proms debut artist as conductor)

Cellist and conductor Han-Na Chang makes her Proms conducting debut as Music Director of the Qatar Philharmonic Orchestra - one of this year's global orchestras, also making its debut. Their concert culminates in Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5, haunted by its recurring 'Fate' theme.

Vivid with contrasts and surging climaxes, the symphony is matched for drama by Rachmaninov's Second Piano Concerto, a Proms favourite whose slow movement burns with restrained passion. Behzad Ranjbaran's Seemorgh is inspired by the mythical Persian bird of its title.
              Wow! I wondered what had happened to Han-Na Chang. I heard her years ago and she was a wonderful 'cellist! Hope she's not another one of those players who stops playing to be a second rate conductor.

One would hope the Qatar orchestra would have extremely good instruments?!

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                (Wiki) Qatar is currently seeking membership in the EBU with hopes of soon entering the Eurovision Song Contest.
                I wonder if they're lined up for the opening ceremony of the World Cup in 2022.

Comment

What? Moi?
                  Quite!

I gather there's been a late change of conductor for this concert, though.

Comment

So he's going to conduct and fiddle at the same time then?

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                      So he's going to conduct and fiddle at the same time then?
                      Moderator's finger hovers over the big red "LIBEL" button.... But I suspect he has other things on his plate (like preparing for Sunday's concert!). Plus it's all in jest!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Moderator's finger hovers over the big red "LIBEL" button....:
                        Please be careful with that finger, whatever colour the button is …

Comment

It's a shame that there aren't more Arab musicians in the Qatar Phil. This quote from their website - "The Qatar Philharmonic Orchestra performs and promotes western and Arabic music in order to inspire the children and adults of Qatar and the Arab world to create and enjoy music." I know orchestras are often multinational [musicians were selected by an international judging panel according to their website] as indeed it seems are the Qatar Phil but it's just a small point. I certainly welcome them into the mix of the Proms.

One other thing - i know humour is subjective - but was it necessary to start taking the thread in the direction it's going. I look forward to hearing the concert and will judge them on their musicianship that's all and nothing else.
                          Last edited by pureimagination; 05-09-14, 11:35.

Comment

Their concert culminates in Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5, haunted by its recurring 'Fate' theme.
                            I realise that this is the BBC blurb but I think in my mind I associate Symphony 4 more with a fate theme anyone ?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              I realise that this is the BBC blurb but I think in my mind I associate Symphony 4 more with a fate theme anyone ?
                              Both of 'em - but more so the Fifth. The Fourth's "fate" theme is the fanfare that opens the work, and which reappears only in the finale. The Fifth's "fate" theme (glad I don't have to say that after a generous dram of Lagavulin) recurs in all four movements.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X