Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
    'Don't bother with yesterday's Beethoven 5 on I player,it's bobbins'.

Oh if only!! If just one of them said that, then every time they praised something, it would have ten times the credibility!

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    Petroc singing the praises of the Rach 2 on Breakfast. Is it worth a listen on iPlayer?
    I'd disagree with Draco (#20)... but I'd give it a watch and a listen on the iPlayer from its BBC4 broadcast this evening.

I found it riveting .... but both soloist and conductor scared the life out of me!!! He looks like a chunk of Mount Rushmore come to life, and attacks the big stuff on the piano like no one I've ever seen; and she exhibits the facial expressions and movements of someone who's engaged in a sword-fight to the death.

It was an insane, violent performance of the Rach and I sure as eggs wouldn't want to hear it like that all the time... But boy: I think it had the hair-raising qualities of the sort of performances I imagine Svetlanov giving in Vladivostok or somewhere in the 70s with some bear of a pianist no one's ever heard of with everyone involved half-cut on vodka and playing as if their lives depended on it! Plenty of tender touches too. But wow, the climax to the last movement was terrific!!

Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard were nowhere!

I liked it!!

(In the documentary between the two pieces, I thought I detected body language - and in particular, looks - between players and conductor which make the announcement the day after ... unsurprising )
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 13-09-14, 00:30.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Ha! I thought the same when penning my review: http://bachtrack.com/review-prom-67-...september-2014

I was saddened to learn that Chang and the Qatar Phil parted company that evening, for her conducting was most impressive.
      Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
        Ha! I thought the same when penning my review: http://bachtrack.com/review-prom-67-...september-2014

I was saddened to learn that Chang and the Qatar Phil parted company that evening, for her conducting was most impressive.
        Great review GI and I'm glad you've endorsed Ms Chang's conducting skills. I personally didn't like the 'take' on the Rach, but that's a personal thing.

What astonished me (and I heard/watched it on BBC4) was the quality of the string sound; amazing for a young orchestra assembled from far and wide. (Yes they were on the limit of speed once or twice, but the wheels never came off the wagon.) Conductors who are string-players themselves do have an advantage. Not all the wind principals were quite up there with the best...one in particular (which I won't embarrass by pointing out) didn't quite have the warmth of tone or totally secure intonation one might have hoped for.

I suppose anyone or anywhere (Chipping Sodbury?) caa have a world-class symphony orchestra if they have an unlimited fortune to throw at it.

Comment

:

I'd disagree with Draco (#20)... but I'd give it a watch and a listen on the iPlayer from its BBC4 broadcast this evening.

I found it riveting .... but both soloist and conductor scared the life out of me!!! He looks like a chunk of Mount Rushmore come to life, and attacks the big stuff on the piano like no one I've ever seen; and she exhibits the facial expressions and movements of someone who's engaged in a sword-fight to the death.

It was an insane, violent performance of the Rach and I sure as eggs wouldn't want to hear it like that all the time... But boy: I think it had the hair-raising qualities of the sort of performances I imagine Svetlanov giving in Vladivostok or somewhere in the 70s with some bear of a pianist no one's ever heard of with everyone involved half-cut on vodka and playing as if their lives depended on it! Plenty of tender touches too. But wow, the climax to the last movement was terrific!!

I liked it!!

(In the documentary between the two pieces, I thought I detected body language - and in particular, looks - between players and conductor which make the announcement the day after ... unsurprising )
          "The First shall be Last!"

A Proms debut orchestra (Ensemble or Assembly?) with a Proms debut soloist and a Proms debut Conductor.

They say that nobody quotes the Good Book more eloquently than the Devil, but as a card-carrying agnostic, I have no fear of retribution.

In the concerto, I had a vision of a crazed but lumbering bull chasing a crowd of panic stricken townspeople through the streets of Pamplona, with the Lady Mayoress well out in front. (Running as if their lives depended on it!)
          The only steadying influence came from some nice safe horn playing from a member of the brass band, which throughout the concert, did their best to stem the panic rush of those frantic string players.

The Tchaikovsky was a complete shambles from start to finish. Again our heroic horn player attempted to bring things to order (but not with any sign of musical expression) but I have to say that this was the worse Promenade Concert that I have encountered in the last 60 years.

I would strongly recommend anyone who disagrees to pay a visit to one of the countrywide chain of establishments which sell not only spectacles but hearing aids as well.

As for the conductress ("...plenty of room upstairs") I suggest that she parted company with the players from the very start of the concert; not after it.

HS

BTW Atrocious intonation by the clarinet in the opening of the Tchaikovsky.
          Last edited by Hornspieler; 13-09-14, 09:31.

Comment

Great image HS, I really wish I'd watched this concert, I still can.

Last edited by Guest; 13-09-14, 15:41.

Comment

The Tchaikovsky was a complete shambles from start to finish.
              Bit harsh, maybe, HS, but you too spotted the wind player I was trying not to mention! Not just intonation, but strangely boring tone too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                In the concerto, I had a vision of a crazed but lumbering bull chasing a crowd of panic stricken townspeople through the streets of Pamplona, with the Lady Mayoress well out in front. (Running as if their lives depended on it!)

Yes that works as a description too, HS !! Did you watch, or listen on the radio? The visuals of the pianist's head-tossing were alarming - and yes, akin to a crazed bull attempting to pitch the Lady Mayoress into row W of the stands...

I dipped into the Tchaik but couldn't take it. I'd also forgotten quite how much I detest its last movement

Comment

That Rachmaninov PC No 2 had me rushing for Richter and Wislocki - to remind myself it can be thrillingly exciting without being crazed - it was like Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard running round Carnforth station on crack .

Comment

Yes that works as a description too, HS !! Did you watch, or listen on the radio? The visuals of the pianist's head-tossing were alarming - and yes, akin to a crazed bull attempting to pitch the Lady Mayoress into row W of the stands...

I dipped into the Tchaik but couldn't take it. I'd also forgotten quite how much I detest its last movement
                    You MUST watch the Tchaikovsky on TV, Cali.

You have my permission, nay recommendation, that you turn off the sound.

Here's a little story to cheer up a cloudy day.

Years ago, when I was with the BSO, at the big triumphant tune in the finale of Tchaik 5, I always used to play the middle section of Pomp and Circumstance Nº 4. It fits the music perfectly (try it and see)

George Hurst never batted an eyelid.

In 1998, when I returned to Bournemouth from my worldly travels, I dropped in at Poole Arts Centre to hear the Bournemouth orchestra playing the same work, again under George Hurst and naturally popped round backstage to congratulate him on a stunning performance.

"Thank you for your kind words". he said, "and did you notice? Nobody played Pomp and Circumstance number four in the middle of the finale!"

George, who had one of the keenest ears that I have ever encountered, had known all along and who the culprit was on that day in 1966 and had never said a word until that backstage meeting twenty two years later!

A great conductor, sadly underrated in the shadow of Silvestri (who admired George Hurst, persuaded him to move down to Bournemouth and had a collection of many recordings by George from his days as conductor of the BBC Northern Orchestra)

HS

Comment

Years ago, when I was with the BSO, at the big triumphant tune in the finale of Tchaik 5, I always used to play the middle section of Pomp and Circumstance Nº 4. It fits the music perfectly (try it and see)

In 1998, when I returned to Bournemouth from my worldly travels, I dropped in at Poole Arts Centre to hear the Bournemouth orchestra playing the same work, again under George Hurst and naturally popped round backstage to congratulate him on a stunning performance.

"Thank you for your kind words". he said, "and did you notice? Nobody played Pomp and Circumstance number four in the middle of the finale!"

George, who had one of the keenest ears that I have ever encountered, had known all along and who the culprit was on that day in 1966 and had never said a word until that backstage meeting twenty two years later!

A great conductor, sadly underrated in the shadow of Silvestri (who admired George Hurst, persuaded him to move down to Bournemouth and had a collection of many recordings by George from his days as conductor of the BBC Northern Orchestra)

HS
                      Ha ha - HS do you have George H's Elgar 1 on Naxos ? A very fine performance in my opinion.

Comment

HS
                        Great story HS - bravo!

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          Ha ha - HS do you have George H's Elgar 1 on Naxos ? A very fine performance in my opinion.

And, yes - a lovely anecdote, HS.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            No, Barbs. But I do have Silvestri's recording (the original tape but in mono, sadly) of the work, which I rescued from destruction within days of joining the BBC Music Department in Bristol in 1973.

It gives a lie to the suggestion that only British Conductors understand Elgar's music. (And Silvestri's Alassio is universally regarded as the benchmark standard for that work)

HS

Comment

No, Barbs. But I do have Silvestri's recording (the original tape but in mono, sadly) of the work, which I rescued from destruction within days of joining the BBC Music Department in Bristol in 1973.

It gives a lie to the suggestion that only British Conductors understand Elgar's music. (And Silvestri's Alassio is universally regarded as the benchmark standard for that work)

HS
                              Is that the recording that turned up on BBC Legends ? Very fine it is too if so .

Yes - only Barbirolli's live account on the same label comes close to Silvestri in that work . The VW Tallis Fantasia and Wasps Overture with which it was coupled are superb too .

Comment

Here's a little story to cheer up a cloudy day...

Instructions received and understood!

And what a perfect story!

(It's a sort of civilised version of the King's choral scholars singing 'Up yer bum' instead of 'Barabbam' after repeated takes in Harnoncourt's 'St Matthew Passion'... )

Comment

Working...
                                X