Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I can understand entirely why someone might dislike RW but I struggle to hear how it could be regarded as of irredeemably poor quality ( unlike Lachenmann for example )
    Fair enough. Mediocre, then?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
      Why does expressing a dislike of this character's music make one a "petty minded snob". Do you extend this definition to all those rock and pop fans who write off all classical music without hearing a note of it?

Maybe the contempt with which it is held is from hearing enough of it to know it's of irredeemably poor quality. As a matter of interest, do you see broadmindedness reciprocated towards classical music by pop and rock worshippers? How many of those going to the RW gig will be (or have been) to the more "run of the mill", classical proms?
      If this was a predominantly rock music based forum I would say the same thing. I often see that when exposed to classical music and the connections are made that fans of other genres are broadminded. Your last question I can't answer but for those with proms season tickets it's probably more than you think.

Comment

How many of those going to the RW gig will be (or have been) to the more "run of the mill", classical proms?
        My choice of Proms this year has included War Requiem, The Kingdom, Oedipus Rex, Mahler 3 and the Glagolitic Mass - hardly 'run-of-the-mill' classical Proms, but very distinguished performances. 'Run-of-the-mill' suggests Proms from the 50s, with Sir Malcolm S ploughing through all the symphonies of Beethoven and Brahms.

However, if it's of any significance, I'm also going to hear Rufus tomorrow.

Comment

Thought Rufus has been terrific tonight - able to play" I don't know what it is " and Poses for example as if they are always fresh to him . Indeed , I don't know if I have ever heard him sing Poses better .

Comment

Fair enough. Mediocre, then?
            I thought the rendition of 'Over the Rainbow' played just now, which was an encore from the Prom, was pure sh*te. But that's imho, just me, without prejudice to the rights of others to find it delicious, &c &c
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              I thought the rendition of 'Over the Rainbow' played just now, which was an encore from the Prom, was pure sh*te. But that's imho, just me, without prejudice to the rights of others to find it delicious, &c &c
              a great response, even though I'd probably disagree. Far more sincere than the IRR-influenced perspective on music.

Must see if I can get a listen on Youtube or something.

Comment

A most enjoyable Prom. Rufus was on great form and had a hall full of real fans - those around me seemed to know every word of every song. His own songs were enjoyable and the new orchestrations were a highlight of the evening - wonderful use of a persussion-heavy orchestra. The highlights for me though were the more familiar songs - the Carousel duet and Somewhere over the Rainbow - a great conclusion to the evening, with Rufus sitting modestly on the edge of the stage. Rufus was the star of course, but Max Mosten deserves a huge amount of credit for the unique orchestrations.

For once the lighting effects in the RAH were appropriate and effective - including rainbow colours in the last number, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                  A most enjoyable Prom. Rufus was on great form and had a hall full of real fans - those around me seemed to know every word of every song. His own songs were enjoyable and the new orchestrations were a highlight of the evening - wonderful use of a persussion-heavy orchestra. The highlights for me though were the more familiar songs - the Carousel duet and Somewhere over the Rainbow - a great conclusion to the evening, with Rufus sitting modestly on the edge of the stage. Rufus was the star of course, but Max Mosten deserves a huge amount of credit for the unique orchestrations.

For once the lighting effects in the RAH were appropriate and effective - including rainbow colours in the last number, of course.

Guess you just had to be there! Sounds as if it was a tonic for the vodders - good for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Guess you just had to be there! Sounds as if it was a tonic for the vodders - good for you!
                    Only just noticed your comment on Rainbow. I had heard him sing it before, so I knew what to expect - he really puts that sort of song over extremely well though. Did that amazing orchestra come over on the radio?

Comment

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                      Did that amazing orchestra come over on the radio?
                      Hardly at all, in the section I heard. But I am afraid the well-worn 'off' button was deployed before the end!

Comment

As have we all, I've been told by R3 that Mr Wainright is a 'Marmite' artist. Well, I kinda feel cross about this Marmite label - I quite like Marmite on bread but never go looking for it, though I have been trying to educate my wife for nearly 40 years into putting a soupcon under my scrambled eggs on toast

But having tried Mr W last night I gave up after about 3 secs, then suffering the encore on Breakfast this AM, as m'learned friend Caliban has already opined (or will he disclaim the 'learned' according to proper lawyerly conventions?), IMVHO "pure sh*te"
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Dunno what to say, really. I watched a Youtube version of Poses and followed the lyrics (though I suspect you're supposed to watch Mr Wainwright).

Pop singer who can (really) play the piano. Teenage song. It does not SPEEEAAAK to me .... but nor did Leonard Cohen. I'm not sure what more one can do than listen (and watch). And then get on with one's life.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Dunno what to say, really. I watched a Youtube version of Poses and followed the lyrics (though I suspect you're supposed to watch Mr Wainwright).

Pop singer who can (really) play the piano. Teenage song. It does not SPEEEAAAK to me .... but nor did Leonard Cohen. I'm not sure what more one can do than listen (and watch). And then get on with one's life.
                            This would have been a good Prom for television. Much of the impact came from the rapport between Rufus and the audience. However, it was another of those where the ticket warned that TV cameras would be present, but were not actually in evidence. Did anyone ever discover the reason for this? Were costs cut after the time the tickets were printed?

Comment

Working...
                            X