This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applause....I know, I know..........

The determined breaking of the mood in the self-conscious applause between movements is driving me round the bend.

I fear I now switch off more and more often, and don't switch back on. Particularly in post-mid 19th century pieces, I'd guess that the composers MEANT the pauses between movements to be part of the experience, the thinking interface we create in our own heads, and NOT for some smug rule breaker to clap saying 'look at ME! What a cosily trendy little boy I am!

No advice in programmes?

I really, really, do yearn for a major conductor to turn round and bellow SHUT UP, YOU MORONS!

BINGO

(they didn't clap between movements at the Radio 1 anthems Prom)

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      The determined breaking of the mood in the self-conscious applause between movements is driving me round the bend.

I fear I now switch off more and more often, and don't switch back on. Particularly in post-mid 19th century pieces, I'd guess that the composers MEANT the pauses between movements to be part of the experience, the thinking interface we create in our own heads, and NOT for some smug rule breaker to clap saying 'look at ME! What a cosily trendy little boy I am!

No advice in programmes?

I really, really, do yearn for a major conductor to turn round and bellow SHUT UP, YOU MORONS!
      How politically incorrect of you, DracoM, AND HOW I AGREE WITH YOU 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        How politically incorrect of you, DracoM, AND HOW I AGREE WITH YOU 100%.
        It's usually round about this time in the Prom season when I chime in and agree with the applause haters and Bryn steps in to say it's fine to applaud between movts. Over to you Bryn....

Comment

This is a difficult one, IMV.

The other evening I wanted to give a little woo-hoo! and a bit of a clap at the end of the third movement of Mahler 5/Runnicles. I'm convinced that it would have underlined and reinforced the mood of the audience, rather than break it - on the basis that others would have joined in and I wouldn't be the only one so doing! I doubt the musicians would've worried about it, they may have even appreciated it.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            Likewise, the determined bursting into applause even before the final plaintive note of "Fiddler" had died away, despite the conductor making it quite clear that he wanted a period of silence. This quite ruined the end of the performance. How can people be so insensitive?

Comment

Originally posted by David-G View Post
              How can people be so insensitive?
              It's called selfishness.

Comment

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                Likewise, the determined bursting into applause even before the final plaintive note of "Fiddler" had died away, despite the conductor making it quite clear that he wanted a period of silence. This quite ruined the end of the performance. How can people be so insensitive?
                I see a difference between clapping and cheering between movements () and the behaviour of those that break out into applause before a piece has finished, or an obviously decent (or wanted as indicated by the conductor) pause has gone by. The latter is most irritating and I really, really yearn for a major, minor or in-between conductor to turn around and bellow 'please stop it'.

Comment

Interesting blog here: http://www.therestisnoise.com/2005/0...se_a_rest.html

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Biazeck View Post

Mason notes that the pianist-conductor Ossip Gabrilowitsch took another view, announcing his approval for “those countries in the south of Europe where they shout when they are pleased and when they are not, they hiss and throw potatoes.” Gabrilowitsch also said: “It is a mistake to think you have done your part when you buy your tickets.”

Spot on, IMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      It's called selfishness.
                      Quite. Last year I was standing in the arena beside a know-all in his early twenties who, having displayed considerable arrogance during the pre-concert hubbub then bellowed a roar before the conductor's hands had dropped at the end of the piece, the name of which I sadly cannot remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        This is a difficult one, IMV.

The other evening I wanted to give a little woo-hoo! and a bit of a clap at the end of the third movement of Mahler 5/Runnicles. I'm convinced that it would have underlined and reinforced the mood of the audience, rather than break it - on the basis that others would have joined in and I wouldn't be the only one so doing! I doubt the musicians would've worried about it, they may have even appreciated it.
                        I agree. There are symphonic movements which are 'asking for it' and spontaneous appreciation at such moments seems right to me too ... and I'm sure the performers would agree. But applause after the Adagietto in M5 over the horncall that is clearly designed to be a 'bridge' to the final movement would be wrong.

The problem is that inter-movement applause seems sometimes to be indiscriminate and hence crass. Does that mean it's best avoided generally? I'm not sure, but I don't think so.

There was an interesting bit of discussion about this on the BBC2 Proms extra programme, with the guests (all sensible professionals - Barbara Hannigan, Andrew Gourlay, Joby Talbot) seeming to agree that genuine appreciation was welcome, and was part of the essential dialogue with the audience. I've heard before from professionals that they are fine with it - they're just glad that the audience are there at all and sufficiently engaged to respond. So I thought the applause after 'Jupiter' in the 'Planets' performance was fine, and the conductor dealt with it very well - she clearly appreciated it, judging by the TV coverage.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I agree with Rumpole .......

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            I agree. There are symphonic movements which are 'asking for it' and spontaneous appreciation at such moments seems right to me too ... and I'm sure the performers would agree. But applause after the Adagietto in M5 over the horncall that is clearly designed to be a 'bridge' to the final movement would be wrong.

The problem is that inter-movement applause seems sometimes to be indiscriminate and hence crass. Does that mean it's best avoided generally? I'm not sure, but I don't think so.

There was an interesting bit of discussion about this on the BBC2 Proms extra programme, with the guests (all sensible professionals - Barbara Hannigan, Andrew Gourlay, Joby Talbot) seeming to agree that genuine appreciation was welcome, and was part of the essential dialogue with the audience. I've heard before from professionals that they are fine with it - they're just glad that the audience are there at all and sufficiently engaged to respond. So I thought the applause after 'Jupiter' in the 'Planets' performance was fine, and the conductor dealt with it very well - she clearly appreciated it, judging by the TV coverage.
                            Very well put, and I agree.

Indeed it will not always be appropriate. As you say, after the adagietto in M5 would be a no-no.

Coincidentally, I was at the Holst Planets concert last week and the applause after Jupiter was ineffably right.

And, perhaps a separate item, I do feel quite strongly that the audience is a bona fide part of the performance.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              I agree with Rumpole .......
                              Wise.

Comment

Working...
                              X