X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proms 2021 General topics

Well, OK, Proms 2021 news, but nonetheless, per the Proms' homepage:

"BBC Proms 2021 dates

The BBC Proms 2021 will take place from 30 July - 11 Sep at the Royal Albert Hall and on BBC Radio 3, BBC TV and online. Further details of the festival will be announced in due course."
    Fingers crossed, and if it all works out, will be ready to put the Forum Calendar together again .

Looks as though 27 May is the day to mark for the big announcement of the 2021 Proms season, per this posting on the 2021 Proms Festival Guide:

Comment

The Proms 2020 threads are now archived in The Proms (bottom category on the homepage) along with all Proms seasons from 2011. This thread will be for general comments about the coming season, with a dedicated sub-forum to be added for the individual concerts.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
        Well, OK, Proms 2021 news, but nonetheless, per the Proms' homepage:

Fingers crossed, and if it all works out, will be ready to put the Forum Calendar together again .
        Will look forward to it bsp

Comment

It will be very interesting to see what the arrangements will be for admitting an audience, especially in the Arena. I've 'pre-ordered' my copy anyway.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            It will be very interesting to see what the arrangements will be for admitting an audience, especially in the Arena. I've 'pre-ordered' my copy anyway.
            Well for other events it looks as though it will be no social distancing and admission on test ( or possibly proof of vaccination).
            But then again who knows?
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              I too will be interested to see the arrangements: I get the impression the RAH seem to think that a full audience will be possible. I remain to be convinced.

Comment

Originally posted by alywin View Post
                I get the impression the RAH seem to think that a full audience will be possible. I remain to be convinced.
                In accord with this first statement:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56983063 (TL;DR - RAH has announced the intention for a full-house event on 6/July). Whether this necessarily implies an expectation of standees packed in Arena/Gallery for the shortened Proms season remains to be seen.

On the second statement in the quoted message, likewise. The transition from one extreme to the other in short order does take some absorbing...

Comment

Andrew Clements mentioned in the Grauniad recently:

"And rumour has it that the BBC Symphony Orchestra’s principal guest conductor, Dalia Stasevska, will take charge of the opening night."
                  Haven't yet started looking up loose tidbits from artist's websites about this summer's Proms, but then the announcement is but 9 days away, so probably not much point now.

Comment

My local WH Smiths seems to have gone early with the Guide, so I have a copy in my hand.
                    Lots of to be advised in the listings, which I guess is not unexpected.
                    Very happy to see an Arnold symphony being done by the BBCSO under Oramo. Should be interesting! Fingers crossed for an audience for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbouffant View Post
                      My local WH Smiths seems to have gone early with the Guide, so I have a copy in my hand.
                      Lots of to be advised in the listings, which I guess is not unexpected.
                      Very happy to see an Arnold symphony being done by the BBCSO under Oramo. Should be interesting! Fingers crossed for an audience for that one.
                      Go, tell us! Which one?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Go, tell us! Which one?
                        5 - I suppose the definitive Arnold symphony, but I would have been even happier with 7

Comment

Bookings this year will take place in two periods: for the first and second half of the season. I think this is a clever solution to an uncertain situation.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbouffant View Post
                            5 - I suppose the definitive Arnold symphony, but I would have been even happier with 7

Comment

The list of concerts:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...1-season-guide
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X