Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, haven’t been to a prom for ages but may do so this year. Excuse the basic level q but the RAH site is no use (I’m being polite), where are the Very Side Stalls? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
      Hello, haven’t been to a prom for ages but may do so this year. Excuse the basic level q but the RAH site is no use (I’m being polite), where are the Very Side Stalls? Thanks in advance.
      Presumably, G & O stalls, those nearest to the stage on the left and right.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Normally would go to around 20 Proms in a season, but haven't booked for the first period. Social distancing, mask wearing in a hot RAH and limited orchestras is not the Proms as I know them. If the restrictions are lifted on July 19th, then I might rethink.

Comment

Originally posted by jbareham View Post
          Normally would go to around 20 Proms in a season, but haven't booked for the first period. Social distancing, mask wearing in a hot RAH and limited orchestras is not the Proms as I know them. If the restrictions are lifted on July 19th, then I might rethink.
          There are only 46 to choose from this season. Recent seasons have had 76 at the RAH.

There are also the six chamber music Proms at Cadogan Hall.

The Proms haven't been officially numbered this time around, possibly because to so would invite comparison with previous years, but I've added numbers to the list in the Forum's concert threads (yet to be released).

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
            Perhaps they'll open both halves with the old Pearl and Dean theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCo1Ffn9_u8
            Guaranteed to be greeted with a a huge groan from all parts of the cinema as those pillars filled the screen. The most derided advertisement was the one in which the name of a semi-ethnic greasy spoon was superimposed on images of delicious, immaculately prepared Indian food that bore no relation to anything to be found on the menu of any dining establishment in the area.

Comment

An interesting new development is the repetition of each of the Chamber Music Proms at Cadogan Hall. The usual 1.00 p.m. concerts are repeated at 6.00 p.m., presumably in consideration of people at work being unable to attend in the lunchtime slot. It should still be possible to attend the evening chamber concert and the RAH Prom, though it could be a bit tight!

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                An interesting new development is the repetition of each of the Chamber Music Proms at Cadogan Hall. The usual 1.00 p.m. concerts are repeated at 6.00 p.m., presumably in consideration of people at work being unable to attend in the lunchtime slot.
                Also perhaps atm a limit on numbers attending for any one concert?
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Also perhaps atm a limit on numbers attending for any one concert?
                  Probably, though I don't know what recent attendance figures are for the Proms Chamber Music concerts.

The Family Prom is doubled up too, as is the Aurora Orchestra's concert.

Comment

A likely explanation for the Cadogan hall ones is a mitigation strategy for social distancing. Most of the orchestras that have been putting on concerts over the last few months (LSO, CBSO, Hallé etc) have been doing this - the same concert repeated 2x in one day. This compensates for the drastically reduced attendance possible in their respective halls while imposing a less than proportionate increase in costs.

In the main this can't be done for main RAH Proms as there is a concert every night so it's not possible to fit rehearsals in around 2x performances a day. In the past, limited exceptions to this tended to be concerts for younger people, John Wilson, those sort of events where demand greatly exceeded supply.

It probably won't continue if "normality" is restored next year as the cost and logistical complications are onerous. As it looks highly likely that most if not all the legal restrictions will end before this year's Proms start, the cat is about to be set among the pigeons in terms of maximum attendances increasing greatly at the last minute and what if any measures will then remain in place. Clearly they will have planned for this, but it's much less clear what that plan is...

PS, pre-pandemic, the Cadogan Hall concerts generally all sold out almost immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      An interesting new development is the repetition of each of the Chamber Music Proms at Cadogan Hall. The usual 1.00 p.m. concerts are repeated at 6.00 p.m., presumably in consideration of people at work being unable to attend in the lunchtime slot. It should still be possible to attend the evening chamber concert and the RAH Prom, though it could be a bit tight!
                      Goodness, I feel so sorry for the groups having to perform the same music in its entirely twice one one day. I suppose someone is going to say theatre casts do this all the time. but still...

Comment

Re Promming:
                        I've found the following information on the Proms website:

The popular tradition of Promming (standing in the Arena or Gallery areas of the Royal Albert Hall) is central to the unique and informal atmosphere of the BBC Proms. It is also one of the most difficult things to manage at this time. We therefore ask you to come back to this page closer to the season for confirmation of whether Prommers will be able to stand. Should Promming not be possible, seated tickets honouring the ethos of Promming (accessibly priced and available on the day) will be purchasable, although these may not be located in the Arena or Gallery.

Promming tickets are £7.12 (including £1.12 booking fee) and are available to buy, online only, on the day of the concert.

Retrieved 2.7.2017
                        Last edited by kernelbogey; 07-07-21, 06:35.

Comment

Am baffled that the listings still refer to 4 mystery Proms so close to the start of Proms 2021 . I assume Beethoven 9 must be in one of them.

Comment

Until Johnson confirms the mooted changes to Coronavirus restrictions will actually happen on 19/7, nobody knows when full sized orchestras and non-professional choirs will be legally permitted to rehearse and perform nor under what conditions. While the official announcement now seems a fait accompli it wouldn't look good for the BBC to jump the gun.

Should some restrictions remain, the full-size orchestra thing is more subtle than it seems even though the RAH stage is enormous. You could get an 80 piece orchestra on there with social distancing just as the CBSO and Hallé have at their home venues with stage extensions, brass in the choir stalls etc. However, they have to rehearse somewhere. This can't be the RAH as there's a concert every day and thus no capacity for more than a dress rehearsal. That's before considering the complexities of e.g. the BBCNOW which rehearses for a Prom in a different nation with its own potentially stricter set of ongoing rules before travelling to London on the day, playing the concert and going home again afterwards. Then there's the BBCSSO... Good luck to whoever has to work through all that.

The Three Choirs Festival is having to take a similar line, albeit wrapped up in different language and presented differently given that it runs from 24/7 - 1/8 and doesn't have the option of "doing big stuff later".

In addition to the "Mystery Proms" there are others, e.g. Bychkov/BBCSO where the programme is still partially or wholly blank. Presumably that will also change after BJ's latest mumblings.

Comment

Given the content of some of todays announcements, one might assume that it will be required to present a vaccine passport to gain entry. I doubt the RAH or the BBC will be standing up to HMG.

So that will be me off their customer list, because I refuse to use a vaccine passport. Who knows where it will end ?
                              Hard to believe that our country has come to this. Hey ho, I have learned to live without going to hear live music and watch live football in the last 16 months. So be it. Sad , but it is a matter of principle.

" We won't be introducing vaccine passports. Except we will ."

Very sad times.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

In view of the current situation and the situation as it looks likely to be over the coming weeks I've reluctantly decided not to proceed with any bookings for this year's Proms. I'd more or less come to this conclusion before booking for period 1 opened with the proviso that I would look at how things were by the time we got to period 2.

The current trajectory of the pandemic in the UK is only too obvious with the government inept handling only making matters worse. Spending money on tickets for concerts more rooted in wishful thinking than reality, travel tickets on a railway service falling apart (it is here) and running the gauntlet of London hotels make it not worth my while.

Should the Proms go ahead I'll be listening on Radio 3 to those of interest (not many, I have to say).
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X