X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LHC
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    And I wonder why so many of the concerts are so short? Might it be that the organisers think that the shorter the time in the enclosed spaces, the less the virus spread? If so, Tristan & Isolde lovers are being discriminated against in a big way!
    I suspect that several of the programmes will be longer than currently advertised, and will have some items added closer to the date. For example, the programme for the British film music concert on 2 September includes just 47 minutes of music, and yet we are told the concert will include one interval. I find it hard to believe that anyone will turn up to see a concert consisting of 2 halves of just 20 minutes apiece.
    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Rcartes
      • Feb 2011

On R3 this morning, the trailer for the Proms came up. And the first item mentioned? Joshua Bell (good) playing .... the @#&%£ Four Seasons! Aarrrgghhh!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Rcartes View Post
        On R3 this morning, the trailer for the Proms came up. And the first item mentioned? Joshua Bell (good) playing .... the @#&%£ Four Seasons! Aarrrgghhh!
        But so popular companies use them for their phone-in complaints services!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
          • Jan 2014

I'm spending significant amounts of time listening to "don't come here" messages on the GP surgery phone line ........ and Brahms violin concerto.

Makes me realise that "light music" or even muzack has its merits. They must have had a complaint about the exceptionally poor quality quitar music they used before...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
            I'm spending significant amounts of time listening to "don't come here" messages on the GP surgery phone line ........ and Brahms violin concerto.

Makes me realise that "light music" or even muzack has its merits. They must have had a complaint about the exceptionally poor quality quitar music they used before...
            Poor Johannes!

Comment

• Frances_iom
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LHC View Post
              ... For example, the programme for the British film music concert on 2 September includes just 47 minutes of music, and yet we are told the concert will include one interval. ....
              surely being film music there will be numerous trailers of things to come though which will bulk out the main A & B items, the 'get out of here' use of the National Anthem as the finale is a thing of my childhood

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                surely being film music there will be numerous trailers of things to come though which will bulk out the main A & B items, the 'get out of here' use of the National Anthem as the finale is a thing of my childhood
                Maybe as the credits roll they'll play 20 minutes of stuff you've apparently already heard but don't remember.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

And perhaps some of the Blissful music from Things To Come.

Comment

• Rcartes
                    • Feb 2011

And ticket prices, what are they? The Guide (which just arrived) says look at the BBC website, but go there and ticket prices are said to be here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...-ticket-prices

But no prices are shown. Eh? Coupled with the very sketchy concert info, it seems charging £8 for the programme is a bit of a ripoff...

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

And ticket prices, what are they? The Guide (which just arrived) says look at the BBC website, but go there and ticket prices are said to be here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...-ticket-prices

But no prices are shown. Eh? Coupled with the very sketchy concert info, it seems charging £8 for the programme is a bit of a ripoff...
                      I have to agree about charging £8 for something with next to no information in it. I got mine from Amazon so paid postage as well! I think we just have to accept that everything is still basically up in the air with ticket prices and programmes/artists still in a state of flux due to the Covid situation.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        And perhaps some of the Blissful music from Things To Come.
                        Or Fings Ain't What They Used To Be!

Comment

• Darkbloom
                          • Feb 2015

Perhaps they are introducing mystery prices along with their mystery concerts. Just give them your bank details and they'll charge whatever they feel like charging at the time.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post
                            Perhaps they are introducing mystery prices along with their mystery concerts. Just give them your bank details and they'll charge whatever they feel like charging at the time.
                            Works in the Premier League.....
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LHC
                              • Jan 2011

Perhaps they'll open both halves with the old Pearl and Dean theme

Ah...fond memories of Kia-ora cartons and poorly made adverts for local businesses.
                              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

Proms Planners are now open for completion with booking for Period 1 (July 30 70 Aug 19) opening on Saturday, June 26. Capacity at the RAH is limited to 1000 in line with Covid restrictions.

However, I detect little enthusiasm on here and have to say, sadly, it's a view I share. There's nothing to make me want to jump through all the Covid hoops and travel down to London. Period 2 might offer better but, in all honesty, I'm much more likely to be leaving it alone this year.
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X