Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbareham View Post
    Finally decided to give the Proms a miss for the first time since I started coming in 2001. Although I (and friends I bring) have been vaccinated, I suspect queuing will be slower given the need to check Covid passes. I certainly wouldn't want to be wearing a mask for the best part of 2-3 hours in a hot RAH. Although I'm now retired, my friends are still working and have kids and school holidays to think about, so didn't want to run the risk of them getting pinged by Track and Trace and ruining plans they may have made. It won't be the normal Proms experience this year, so will watch the odd concert from home. Having looked at the RAH website and tickets still availabile for every concert, I suspect many other regular Proms goers have taken a similar view. Can only hope normality returns for next year.
    I only have one concert - the First Night - to go on so far, but I would make a few points: The Hall was not hot, where I was in the Stalls, and I was not hot wearing a mask. The Prom was televised but the modern lights generate far less heat than the old ones. The stewards seemed well briefed on what constitutes a valid Covid pass (I have a 'two jabs' card). It certainly wasn't the normal Proms experience for those in the Arena, because so much space was taken up by the camera operators. I suspect ticket sales are down because many Prom-goers do not live in London, and need to make plans in advance; the frequent chopping and changing of what's on sale, and the fact that so many hotels and other accommodation are closed, has made it impossible for them. Oh, and if you do go, check in advance which tube lines are running - there's more than the usual amount of 'closed for maintenance' (e.g. Piccadilly Line not stopping at South Ken.).

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipT View Post
      I only have one concert - the First Night - to go on so far, but I would make a few points: .... The stewards seemed well briefed on what constitutes a valid Covid pass (I have a 'two jabs' card).
      Thanks for your post Philip (from a timid provincial ). I'm curious whether the 'card' you showed was the one given to you when you had your jabs? I thought a more formal certificate issued via the NHS was expected for such purposes?

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        Thanks for your post Philip (from a timid provincial ). I'm curious whether the 'card' you showed was the one given to you when you had your jabs? I thought a more formal certificate issued via the NHS was expected for such purposes?
        Much better, I would say, to get a digital or physical 'Covid pass' letter from the NHS. I ordered ours on line - a very quick and straightforward process - and they arrived within the promised 5 days. 'Hard copy' versions have no end-date, whereas the digital letter auto-renews every month, I believe.
        I also understand there are doubts in certain quarters about just how secure the cards are.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          Much better, I would say, to get a digital or physical 'Covid pass' letter from the NHS. I ordered ours on line - a very quick and straightforward process - and they arrived within the promised 5 days. 'Hard copy' versions have no end-date, whereas the digital letter auto-renews every month, I believe.
          I also understand there are doubts in certain quarters about just how secure the cards are.
          Thanks for the tip, LMcD: I just ordered mine over the phone from NHS119 - I've found I get straight through if I phone at 0900 on a Sunday! It turns out that the letter required for foreign travel is the only one that the NHS provides, so that's what I shall receive.

Comment

Turns out that if you put in place lots of extra and pointless restrictions, fewer people attend. Well there’s a surprise.

( Here’s the parliamentary committee report concluding that there is no justification for covid passports).

Of course the “ covid pass “ nonsense can currently easily be got round by submitting a “ negative” LFT online , and having a double jab is not even close to being a guarantee of not being infectious, as we are now seeing.
            But why let all that get in the way of implementing a whole new layer of, at best, pointless bureaucracy for everyday activity ?

Anyway, I am hoping to pop along to a prom in the not too distant, al being well. Hoping that my RAH gift voucher from pre pandemic days is honoured.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Please can we keep this discussion to what is actually happening at the Proms this year? I'm sure there are lots of other places to discuss other matters.

Yes, what I showed was the card I was given when I had the jabs. Nothing more. I think they just check that there are two entries and the second one was at least two weeks before.

Comment

Please can we keep this discussion to what is actually happening at the Proms this year? I'm sure there are lots of other places to discuss other matters.

Yes, what I showed was the card I was given when I had the jabs. Nothing more. I think they just check that there are two entries and the second one was at least two weeks before.

Comment

Excuse me for trying to be helpful ... I'm glad to see that somebody appreciates the information which I and others have been happy to provide

Comment

Excuse me for trying to be helpful ... I'm glad to see that somebody appreciates the information which I and others have been happy to provide
                    Umm... wondering if you've read the thread since your earlier post, for which I thanked you?

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                      Umm... wondering if you've read the thread since your earlier post, for which I thanked you?
                      My comments were a response to the somewhat censorious post from PhilipT. (I'm as aware as anyone that a thread can become 'derailed', but the question of proof of vaccination is surely of particular relevance to a general discussion of Proms-related matters ....)

Comment

My comments were a response to the somewhat censorious post from PhilipT. (I'm as aware as anyone that a thread can become 'derailed', but the question of proof of vaccination is surely of particular relevance to a general discussion of Proms-related matters ....)
                        Well I would agree with that, since “ proof” is required, and this is not in fact required by law ? ( I’m not certain of the legal side though).
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

I suspect ticket sales are down because many Prom-goers do not live in London, and need to make plans in advance; the frequent chopping and changing of what's on sale, and the fact that so many hotels and other accommodation are closed, has made it impossible for them. Oh, and if you do go, check in advance which tube lines are running - there's more than the usual amount of 'closed for maintenance' (e.g. Piccadilly Line not stopping at South Ken.).
                          You are correct in this, at least as far as I am concerned. Sitting in the Royal Albert Hall for a Prom, mask on is the easy bit but looking at TV pictures of the audience I'd guess that the ratio of masked/non-masked to be 60/40. While worry about catching Covid is actually a fair way down my list I'd have expected more compliance re masks. The inevitable artist/programme changes reduce confidence in attending but so too does all the hassle of hotel booking, train tickets, food and drink and tube travel. With some programmes offering about an hour of music (see, for example, LSO/Rattle Stravinsky programme. Seriously?) confidence went down to near zero.

I took all of this into consideration well before booking even opened and it looked a complete non-starter then and still does. I'll be waiting for 2022.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Well I would agree with that, since “ proof” is required, and this is not in fact required by law ? ( I’m not certain of the legal side though).
                            As I understand it, proof of vaccination may well become a non-negotiable requirement for admission to all kinds of sporting and other events (including concerts), and I for one wouldn't care to rely on a card or be surprised if it was not accepted. For one thing, I'm not sure how or whether I could, if necessary, prove that I was the person presenting it. Anybody who's got a 'Vaccine letter' will tell you that it's much safer and authoritative, and its genuineness can readily be checked.

Comment

As I understand it, proof of vaccination may well become a non-negotiable requirement for admission to all kinds of sporting and other events, and I for one wouldn't rely on a card, not least because I'm not sure how, or whether, I could, if necessary, prove that I was the person presenting it. Anybody who's got a 'Vaccine letter' will tell you that it's much safer and authoritative, and its genuineness can readily be checked.
                              Yes,it could happen as you say, which would be a quite appalling state of affairs, and one that we should strongly resist, in my opinion.

But at present I don’t think there is any requirement to show status in any venue at all is there, EG the RAH ( as per my original point, and just to keep on topic).

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                Yes,it could happen as you say, which would be a quite appalling state of affairs, and one that we should strongly resist, in my opinion.

But at present I don’t think there is any requirement to show status in any venue at all is there, EG the RAH .
                                I think the 60/40 split referred to above suggests that the general public are still as confused as ever about what is and isn't required by law/recommended/advised - a confusion that also makes life very difficult for organizers, of course. Such uncertainty would certainly deter me from attending. I shall continue to wear a mask when in an enclosed space - a term which can, I think, be taken to include RAH. Never were the words 'better safe than sorry' more pertinent!
                                As far as the privacy issue is concerned, I accepted a long time ago that 'they' will find out whatever the want to know about me and there's little point in my trying to stop them. The fact that I have had 2 vaccine jobs is unlikely to make me more, or less, of a threat no national security or make it easier for somebody to empty my bank account, but it may help improve planning for the next medical emergency.

Comment

Working...
                                X