Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Another fine Leven track Lat, by the way - sometimes I can't decide whether to listen or to look for new things - I've put some stuff on which I think might be Finnish - the version of Must be Santa is absolutely cracking - and McG, I loved that Belshazzar's Feast track - top tune!

Comment

• Globaltruth
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mcgrooger View Post
      A couple or so years ago, Verity Sharp commissioned a piece by Chris Wood (and Hugh Ripon?) about Mummers at Christmas. Whilst we could link to it, it was one of my favourite things ever from the R3 'World' thingy. Anyone got a link to it?
      All I can find is the link to the original playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/latejunction/pip/jhyw7/ in 2005!

Hugh Lupton wrote it. In fact he has written a few of Chris Woods' greatest hits (One in a Million,Mari Lwyd,Mad John...). As far as I know it isn't on the internet or on the r3 website anymore. However....

You can go here
      Hugh Lupton's website
      and buy a reworked CD of Christmas Champions direct from Hugh.
      (sadly the ability to listen to a bit of it for free doesn't work on my browser)

And, your interesting Hugh Lupton trivia for the day - he is related to Arthur Ransome (author of Swallows & Amazons and former spy)
      Last edited by Globaltruth; 02-12-10, 09:43.

Comment

• Mcgrooger

I realised after I posted that question that it wasn't Hugh Ripon - he's a dance caller - dur! Here's a link to the LJ site where there's still a description of the piece and an opportunity to have a listen. I s'pose the Beeb aint all bad even though they did nick our MB!
        Chris Wood's specially commissioned pieve for Late Junction, investigating the Mummers Play.

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

bad news for skylarks

:cool2: I'm really glad it's still there....there's also something fascinating about posting a question and then answering it yourself.

The good part for me was that when I visited Hugh Lupton's website I discovered he has a new book about John Clare out.

and, trivia for this post is that John Clare and the Enclosure Act got a mention on the BBC 4 series Birds Britannia - I hadn't previously considered the effect this Act had on the wildlife of this country. Bad news for skylarks.

(can I do the joke about the sparrow who flew upside down for a lark at this point? Yay Brucie would be proud)

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Very interesting - given the weather out there, I'm longing to hear a skylark.

Anyway can I do this one? - three ducks flying in the sky - the first says, 'Quack!'; the second says, 'Quack!'; the third says, 'I cannae go any quacker!'

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I don't believe a word of this. Any fool knows that ducks can't fly.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>Any fool knows that ducks can't fly.

So I wonder where that popular phrase comes from ???

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

China probably.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

One day Lat, the extreme North Staffs will be The New China.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Have you been reading fortune cookies, Paul? - The Extreme North Staffs Chippie in Blair has just changed it's name to the New China!

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

John,

It must have been something that I ate !

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Blair? How awful. Can't it change it's name. I get easily confused. Is there a hint that I have been inadvertently nicking lines?
                          If so, sorry. I was actually thinking back to my student days. We had a big lake at our establishment and I recall a heated argument among the urbanites about this very "issue". My main memory though is of dropping my entire notes from one year in the water. Having used a certain kind of ink, it was the only time that I literally saw my words floating off paper.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Erm........it seems like something mysterious has occurred. The list has separated out the tracks by album. It looks rubbish. Help please.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

.....(I'm now seeing geese in my eyes. I'm going to have to log off!).

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I didn't log off GlobalTruth and it is all ok again now. Not sure what happened. I'm starting to run out of ideas and I'm not in the habit of repeating themes, let alone memes. This time, though, it's been not arf.

I've added a few tracks on some newish topics - more of your geese and more elves, holly, ivy and mistletoe, a robin, three kings, many magi, pantomimes, etc.

And I have gone for the slightly more obscure - a bit of electronica, some noiseniks, quite a few doodlings, as well as the usual. There is also a little more of the latin plus, of course, Slade, more Muppets, and Mamer.

Turf me off here on taste grounds, I dare you. No, on second thoughts, don't do that. I gave up my two friends to enjoy this experience. That's Mr Bolan-Eavis who generally supplies me with the milk and Arabella, a very friendly young lady who just happens to live alone in a field.
                                Last edited by Guest; 03-12-10, 07:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X