Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    JB's double E starts with the female Doo wop outfit The Chantels singing 'Every Night' and concentrates in particular on the voice of their leader Charlene Smith. 'Precocious pubescent Passion' as Joe puts it. Great stuff.
    https://www.acast.com/boydaz/letteree
    An extraordinary sound which as far as I am aware never charted in Britain.

The reference to gregorian chant is interesting. As this interview explains, Smith trained at Julliard (as did Sedaka) - http://www.classicbands.com/ChantelsInterview.html. Apparently even in the early days she disliked the term "girl group". Nobody ever found a convincing alternative although at one time Charlie G put forward wryly "Girl Talk". From there, cross-refer to Dave Edmunds I guess. The next clip could be very good. I intend to listen to it in full. Tony Fletcher and Arlene Smith - "All Hopped Up and Ready To Go" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EFaQo3icqsot. Also, here's a performance from 1984 with a reference to Lou Reed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tln0FBuG6YA.

Comment

Yeah sorry, Lat...Arlene Smith she is indeed (not Charlene as I said), and a pretty extraordinary voice indeed, Lat. I suppose it's very much of a time which is perhaps why we didn't hear more of her. I assume the reference to Lou Reed is that Doo-wop was a music that he particularly liked, women in particular. She said that on those early tours when she was 14 they would do three songs a night on these package tours...you have to wonder how many songs she could sing up at that register. Arlene also sounded pretty together, I thought, from what I watched.

Comment

Yeah sorry, Lat...Arlene Smith she is indeed (not Charlene as I said), and a pretty extraordinary voice indeed, Lat. I suppose it's very much of a time which is perhaps why we didn't hear more of her. I assume the reference to Lou Reed is that Doo-wop was a music that he particularly liked, women in particular. She said that on those early tours when she was 14 they would do three songs a night on these package tours...you have to wonder how many songs she could sing up at that register. Arlene also sounded pretty together, I thought, from what I watched.
        Yes indeed to all of those points.

Comment

Double FF finds Joe back in Weimar Germany at Sternberg's Blue Angel in the company of Marlena Dietrich. She sounds much better singing in German says JB, and right he is.

Comment

Double FF finds Joe back in Weimar Germany at Sternberg's Blue Angel in the company of Marlena Dietrich. She sounds much better singing in German says JB, and right he is.
            https://www.acast.com/boydaz/letterff
            An interesting reminder of (non-classical) musical life in Germany before Kraftwerk and the 17 Hippies.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
              An interesting reminder of (non-classical) musical life in Germany before Kraftwerk and the 17 Hippies.
              then, I refer you across the forum to
              http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...585#post560585
              perhaps via
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPG9GcykPIY

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                Interesting, thanks. I've known the Peggy Lee version of "Is That All There Is" since the mid 1970s and have now noted the personal background to Lieber's composition. Weill and Brecht are also familiar. At the outset, I have vague memories of one of my German teachers singing "Mack the Knife". What I don't quite "get" is the Weimar thing, much later Cabaret and the links onward to Reed, Bowie etc. There is quite a lot to this incomprehension but one point is there seems to be a massive music gap between 1945 and the 1970s, notwithstanding the Beatles in Hamburg. Another is that each era seems to be tinged with a dark red light and something about the circus. Which is fair enough but all of it??!!!

Comment

GG - Les Goélands / The Gulls.
                  Joe's nipped over the border to present a bit of Chanson Francaise this fortnight in the company of Damia.

Comment

GG - Les Goélands / The Gulls.
                    Joe's nipped over the border to present a bit of Chanson Francaise this fortnight in the company of Damia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m5MG3WS5YM
                    Many thanks, JC, and apt timing given both the centenary commemorations for WW1 and the commencement of the Euros in La Belle France.

I was interested to hear that JB went to a record shop on seeing television footage in Paris in memory of Marie-Louise Damien. You might recall that I went to a record shop on seeing television footage in Geneva in memory of Leo Ferre fifteen years later. Apropos not a lot perhaps except that it just might say something about the impact the French can have on the non French with a passion for music. The mentioning of Cathy Renoir confused me a little so would I be wrong or right to mention in her context one Ray Lema?

Comment

Feeling Hornswoggled today? Perhaps Joe can help with one of the most enjoyable yet of his fine podcasts, this time about Banjo player Bill (Brad) Keith, his encounters with Bill Monroe, banjo inventions, Earl Scruggs, some more Maria Muldaur (what a fine voice she had); and did you know that Joe had a part to play in Deliverance's 'Duelling Banjos'? To be honest, nothing surprises me about the guy.

Comment

JJoe Boyd gets his second mention of the day for JJ with 'JJ'ai Eté Au Bal'. The late great Eddie Lejeune is today's subject with his brand of Arcadian (Cajun) Music.

Comment

Sometimes Joe takes you on familiar territory, but other week's you're taken somewhere unfamiliar. Thus with his second time round on K - this week opens with 'Klara Stjärnor' - Swedish jazz by 'the best pianist you've never heard of', Jan Johansson. (I'm sure that's not true for the forum jazzers, but I didn't know of him). Mrs C will approve wholeheartedly!

Comment

I'm still catching up with these - sometimes I'm not sure how he associates the letters of the alphabet with the content, but that doesn't detract from the show, just curious. Krystle Warren for II is an example Jc if you care to explain? ?

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                              I'm still catching up with these - sometimes I'm not sure how he associates the letters of the alphabet with the content, but that doesn't detract from the show, just curious. Krystle Warren for II is an example Jc if you care to explain? ?
                              It's all related to the name of the song chosen from Joe's record collection, Global. Thus with Krystle Warren, 'I' second time round, the tune was the McGarrigle sisters doing 'I don't know'. 'I' first time round was Floyd's 'Interstellar Overdrive', by the way.

Actually I just bought some 1st class stamps and they had Floyd's 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn', 'Dark Side' and 'Atom Heart Mother' depicted. They should do more of it. Snail mail never looked quite so good.

Comment

It's all related to the name of the song chosen from Joe's record collection, Global. Thus with Krystle Warren, 'I' second time round, the tune was the McGarrigle sisters doing 'I don't know'. 'I' first time round was Floyd's 'Interstellar Overdrive', by the way.

Actually I just bought some 1st class stamps and they had Floyd's 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn', 'Dark Side' and 'Atom Heart Mother' depicted. They should do more of it. Snail mail never looked quite so good.
                                I didn't know ... And so to KK - er, it was oK. They're not all going to be great...

Ps hope HRH looked happy sharing with those Pink Floyd fellers. I'm not much of a fan, just saw them the once, about 50 years ago. That was enough. The DJ that night was ok though.

Comment

Working...
                                X