Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Friday and once again, as so often during this series by Joe Boyd, I find myself in unfamiliar territory, this time in Catalonia in the company of Sisa in the dying days of Franco. How vinyl kept a language alive is what Joe suggests.
    Last edited by johncorrigan; 04-12-15, 20:00. Reason: snoopy sinbad etc

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      It's Friday and once again, as so often during this series by Joe Boyd, I find myself in unfamiliar territory, this time in Catalonia in the company of Sisa in the dying days of Franco. How vinyl kept a language alive is what Joe suggests.
      http://www.acast.com/boydaz/letterq
      Thanks JC - and that is unfamiliar territory to me too.

Interesting - especially on the surrealism in the lyrics.

More Catalan music:

Dusminguet - Sonajeros - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUYaBLawk8Q

Comment

'Razor's Edge' by Defunkt is R...new on me - funky. Joe really likes the strange lyrics.

Comment

'Razor's Edge' by Defunkt is R...new on me - funky. Joe really likes the strange lyrics.

Yes indeed.

Parliament and Funkadelic spring to mind. Earlier - I don't know - Wild Cherry, War, perhaps even Sun Ra and later the Gap Band and much later Fun Lovin' Criminals. I am struck by their limited success commercially given all of the greats they performed alongside and the Wiki entry doesn't say huge amounts. But as JB said they were the first on his label.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
            Yes indeed.

Parliament and Funkadelic spring to mind. Earlier - I don't know - Wild Cherry, War, perhaps even Sun Ra and later the Gap Band and much later Fun Lovin' Criminals. I am struck by their limited success commercially given all of the greats they performed alongside and the Wiki entry doesn't say huge amounts. But as JB said they were the first on his label.
            They sounded like they'd been listening to Fela to me, Lat. But maybe that's because I've been listening to lots of FK lately.

Comment

Sweet Mother!

Comment

Thanks JC.

Love that edition - and the record.

What I would like to see is the list of other tracks included because two of them were sublime.

Here is the World Service poll from 2004: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4118767.stm

Comment

Thanks JC.

Love that edition - and the record.

What I would like to see is the list of other tracks included because two of them were sublime.

Here is the World Service poll from 2004: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4118767.stm
                  I thought it was a great one, Lat. Never knowingly heard the track before - Joe gave excellent reasoning as to why it was No 1. Wonder if it might be time for a top ten African tracks. Glad to see S E Rogie in there though that wouldn't have been the one I'd have chosen.

Comment

Joe's on a well-deserved Christmas break but there was a brief extract from his visit to 6 music earlier in the year and he introduced this grand bit of Hendrix showing his roots on 'Hear my Train a Comin''. Jimi is caught on film playing a twelve string acoustic upside down and mighty fine it is too.
                    Mr. Jimi Hendrix with his 12 string acoustic guitar. Filmed in widescreen. A very clear image of Jimi and his guitar work.SIXTEEN TONS https://youtu.be/J2...
                    Last edited by johncorrigan; 27-12-15, 13:45. Reason: upside down - is that right!

Comment

I'm looking forward to Joe Boyd's return to the podwaves. But he's also on the Beeb this weekend courtesy of the World Service, where Cerys has recently started a monthly show - last month she did a 50 min tribute to Allen Toussaint. This month she's got Joe in as a guest where he could be talking about anything really, but whatever it is I usually enjoy listening to it.

Comment

I'm looking forward to Joe Boyd's return to the podwaves. But he's also on the Beeb this weekend courtesy of the World Service, where Cerys has recently started a monthly show - last month she did a 50 min tribute to Allen Toussaint. This month she's got Joe in as a guest where he could be talking about anything really, but whatever it is I usually enjoy listening to it.
                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03dg4ct
                        Well, that's to be welcomed, but seems a bit odd that they gave Mark Coles the boot from his World Service music show which was astonishingly similar. Shouldn't be surprised by the Beeb' mysterious ways I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                          Well, that's to be welcomed, but seems a bit odd that they gave Mark Coles the boot from his World Service music show which was astonishingly similar. Shouldn't be surprised by the Beeb' mysterious ways I suppose.
                          Yeah, who knows what they think. Probably better for their quotas, Global, but MC deserves an outing on the mainstream.

Comment

Joe's back from his midwinter T break and so starts this week with 'T'aint nobody's business' by Frank Stokes before giving us a wee potted history of Frank. High quality pod.

...and leads it into the forthcoming interesting looking docs by T Bone Burnett and Jack White, 'American Epic', due to hit BBC's 'Arena' later this year.
                            The official site for the award-winning documentary series directed by Bernard MacMahon.

Good to have you back Joe

Comment

Joe's back from his midwinter T break and so starts this week with 'T'aint nobody's business' by Frank Stokes before giving us a wee potted history of Frank. High quality pod.

...and leads it into the forthcoming interesting looking docs by T Bone Burnett and Jack White, 'American Epic', due to hit BBC's 'Arena' later this year.
                              The official site for the award-winning documentary series directed by Bernard MacMahon.

Good to have you back Joe
                              Many thanks John.

Another interesting episode.

I especially liked the part with Bob Dylan on the piano.

Comment

Many thanks John.

Another interesting episode.

I especially liked the part with Bob Dylan on the piano.
                                Hello there, Lat. Great to hear from you. I thought it was an excellent episode and you're right, that was a great bit with Bob on piano. If you've read Joe's rather excellent ' White Bicycles', you'll have heard a lot of the stories he told Cerys on the World Service, but it's still great to hear him tell them, and there were some fine tunes in there...as you'd expect.

Comment

Working...
                                X