Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A wee bit more conjunto from the borderlands from MP's Classic Artist of the Week, accordionist Gilberto Perez. Here's 'Paloma Consentida' for this particular Mexican Tuesday ahead of Dia de Los Muertos. I wouldn't want to listen to this all night, but it must be a gas to hear it in situ.
    Provided to YouTube by TuneCorePaloma Consentida · Gilberto Perez Y Sus CompadresCollecion de Oro Vol. 1℗ 1959 Gilberto Perez Y Sus CompadresReleased on: 195...

Comment

Pasión by Guty Cárdenas

Pasión, interpretada por Guty CárdenasL. Luis Rosado VegaM. Guty Cárdenas

Augusto Alejandro Cárdenas Pinelo, known as Guty, was a composer, a singer and a guitarist, mainly working in the cancion yucateca style of music..
      He had a promising career with Columbia Records, cut tragically short when he was killed, at the age of 27, by a stray bullet during a gunfight in a Mexico City bar.
      Here he is again, in a charming duet (unknown singer) on Chulos Ojos
      Provided to YouTube by ColumbiaChulos Ojos · Guty CárdenasLa Gran Coleccion Del 60 Aniversario CBS - Guty Cardenas℗ 1962 Sony Music Entertainment (Mexico) S....

Thanks to East River String Band who originally played this on OTRS 129
      Last edited by Globaltruth; 29-11-22, 13:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
        Pasión by Guty Cárdenas

Augusto Alejandro Cárdenas Pinelo, known as Guty, was a composer, a singer and a guitarist, mainly working in the cancion yucateca style of music..
        He had a promising career with Columbia Records, cut tragically short when he was killed, at the age of 27, by a stray bullet during a gunfight in a Mexico City bar.
        I had been considering posting this morning, Global, and on the back of the stray bullet that hit Guty I thought I would. I've been reading Dylan's 'Philosophy of Modern Song'. Song a day seemed the reasonable way to do it. This morning it was a favourite of mine. Marty Robbin's first song was 'A White Sports Jacket and Pink Carnation'.
        Bob informs us that Marty's Grandfather, Robert 'Texas' Heckle, had served in the Confederate army and had fought under Custer and then took to writing stories about the old west. So Marty took some of these old tales and turned them into the gunfighter ballads - here's the most famous, 'El Paso'. Reading Bob's dissection of the song I can only assume it was a big influence on him and perhaps fed into the likes of 'Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts'. Anyway here's Marty singing about Fellina, the treacherous dark-eyed beauty from Rosa's Cantina.
        Marty Robbins performed "El Paso" live on The Drifter in 1965.

If you're passing a bookshop, nip in and read Chapter 23, the ballad of the tortured soul...only take you five minutes. I'm sure the bookseller won't mind, and neither will Bob.

Comment

Firstr heard on John Heneghan's Old Time Radio Show number 7 (Ethnic Records)
          and v reminiscent of R. Crumb and band...
          Todus Ellos – El Ciego Melquiades (The Blind Fiddler)
          Melquíades Rodríguez was a popular and hard working musician much in demand during the 30s and 40s to perform at dance parties, bullfights and festivals in the San Antonio area. He began his career as a guitarist, but switched to the fiddle as it was more popular with his listeners.
          His music is a mixture of influences - mainly Mexican but there is definitely some square dance in there too.
          A cheery way to spend 2m 25s
          Thanks to John Heneghan and Smithsonian Folkways for preserving this.

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesTodos Ellos · El Ciego MelquiadesSan Antonio House Party℗ 2002 Smithsonian Folkways Recordings. Originally rele...

Comment

The Lady Galadriel was on Desert Island Discs on Sunday and she said her Dad used to play this one on the record player all the time when she was a young elf. Pretty sure we've had it before but with such a regal recommendation I thought I could do nothing more than post 'Besame Mucho' by Trio Los Panchos for this particular Mexican Tuesday.
            Music & lyrics written by Consuelo Velasquez of Mexico in 1941. According to Velasquez, the song was inspired by an aria from an opera by Enrique Granados, a...

Comment

I was watching Linda Ronstadt on 'Old Grey Whistle Test' on Beeb 2 at the weekend and thought 'Lo Siento Mi Vida' sounded ideal for a Mexican Tuesday. Here's Linda performing it with her band live in Germany in 1976.
              Linda Ronstadt Rockpalast Stadthalle Offenbach Offenbach, Germany November 16, 1976

Feliz martes mexicano!

Comment

It's still only the day after Tuesday so not that late to insert another bit of Chavela Vargas - this is 'La Llorona' from about thirty years ago. Wonderful performance.
                Extracto del vídeo Chavela Vargas en Concierto | Sala Caracol (Madrid) - 01.05.1993.Antes había este extracto en Youtube pero ya no está. Es una versión muy ...

Comment

Watching the excellent series of documentaries about Frida Kahlo on BBC2, it has been impossible for me not to recall Michael Marra's song about Frida dying and reaching the pearly gates only to be told by Peter that they're not ready for her and can she go back down to the Taybridge Bar on the Perth Road in Dundee in the meantime.

Happy Mexican not Tuesday with a Dunders twist

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                    Watching the excellent series of documentaries about Frida Kahlo on BBC2, it has been impossible for me not to recall Michael Marra's song about Frida dying and reaching the pearly gates only to be told by Peter that they're not ready for her and can she go back down to the Taybridge Bar on the Perth Road in Dundee in the meantime.

Happy Mexican not Tuesday with a Dunders twist
                    Ha - we also played the above too as a result of that documentary.

Provided to YouTube by Believe SASAll Will Be Well · Michael MarraPosted Sober℗ Inner City Sound RecordsReleased on: 2002-07-01Music Publisher: Copyright Con...

Comment

one of those Mexican songs that every one knows.
                      Possibly your ear worm for the day.

La Raspa by Fiesta Mexico Loco
                      Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesLa Raspa · Fiesta Mexico LocoCinco de Mayo Music℗ 2014 Sleek & SoundReleased on: 2014-03-27Auto-generated by Yo...

Comment

Mexican earworm song of the day...
                        Jarabe tapatío

soon be Tuesday

Comment

Made me think of this song from the days of Uncle Mac, Global.

Comment

A voice I enjoyed from Saturday's 'Music Planet' on BBC Radio 3 and BBC Sounds , was that of Mexico's Silvana Estrada. This is the track KT played by her - 'Marchita (Withered)'. Perfect for a Mexican Tuesday.
                            Video Oficial para “Marchita” del nuevo disco de Silvana Estrada. Disponible ahora en todas las plataformas: https://ffm.to/silvanaestrada-marchitaOfficial V...

Comment

Mexican Tuesday slipping down the charts, so thought I should give it a quick nudge. We cant have these old threads giving up...

Scott Joplin - Solace (Mexican Serenade)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLNORRrRyM

Apparently he labelled it Mexican but it was probably Cuban in origin.
                              Just keep that quiet and enjoy the music ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                                Mexican Tuesday slipping down the charts, so thought I should give it a quick nudge. We cant have these old threads giving up...

Scott Joplin - Solace (Mexican Serenade)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLNORRrRyM

Apparently he labelled it Mexican but it was probably Cuban in origin.
                                Just keep that quiet and enjoy the music ok?
                                Just perfect, Global...I'm away to listen to it again.

Comment

Working...
                                X