• Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
    Very good.

A message to GT.

Would it be possible to extend the title of this thread to "Scottish and Irish Fridays" - and even including the Welsh?

Or is that too stereotypical? I hope not.

Then we could have the likes of this:

Shooglenifty - Maxine's Polka - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmNVaxE7OEg

(I'm also after Mexico going wider to South America as it would add scope but I suppose I shouldn't push my luck!)
    I've given this some thought. In fact a lot of thought.
    Such a thorny question, I convened an emergency sub-committee meeting of the WM Thread Namers.
    The meeting lasted many hours and, despite best efforts, diverged widely. Hardly surprising given that the member included, but were not confined to Mr Justice Cocklecarrot, Mr Tinklebury Snapdriver, and the loquacious Mr Honeyweather Gooseboote.
    At one point it was suggested by Dr Strabismus (whom God preserve) of Utrecht that threads should only be started if the person, genre or sub-genre referred to could be proven to have appropriate and current visa accreditation. This would not, of course, apply to the Filthistan Trio, from Thurralibad, whose time-honoured folk tradition of see-saw is de facto confined to London.
    After a quick financial assessment of costs required to implement such a checking system (billions apparently) and an even quicker reference to the Use Your F***ing Common Sense committee (which is it seems permanently engaged fighting fires elsewhere) the idea was unanimously recognised as a poisson rouge, another of Dr Strabismus' extravagant ideas.

The saucy Mrs Flobster pointed out that there is a Thread Creation Ration number based on a complex algorithm derived from Years on Forum x Attendance on Forum / pertinence and popularity of threads created. Usually around 42.
    This number is significantly under used on this particular forum.

The decision of the committee can be summarised thus:
    just start another thread.
    Under present rules it is also possible to have more than one topic associated with a particular day. Also a day may be divided into recognised sections, that is: morning, afternoon, evening.
    Further subdivisions may also be made.

The decision of the committee may be final.

Comment

• Globaltruth
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Very good.

A message to GT.

Would it be possible to extend the title of this thread to "Scottish and Irish Fridays" - and even including the Welsh?

Or is that too stereotypical? I hope not.

Then we could have the likes of this:

Shooglenifty - Maxine's Polka - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmNVaxE7OEg

(I'm also after Mexico going wider to South America as it would add scope but I suppose I shouldn't push my luck!)
      Such a thorny question, I convened an emergency sub-committee meeting of the WM Thread Namers.
      The meeting lasted many hours and, despite best efforts, diverged widely. Hardly surprising given that the member included, but were not confined to Mr Justice Cocklecarrot, Mr Tinklebury Snapdriver, and the loquacious Mr Honeyweather Gooseboote.
      At one point it was suggested by Dr Strabismus (whom God preserve) of Utrecht that threads should only be started if the person, genre or sub-genre referred to could be proven to have appropriate and current visa accreditation. This would not, of course, apply to the Filthistan Trio, from Thurralibad, whose time-honoured folk tradition of see-saw is de facto confined to London.
      After a quick financial assessment of costs required to implement such a checking system (billions apparently) and an even quicker reference to the Use Your Common Sense committee (which is, it seems, permanently engaged fighting fires elsewhere) the idea was unanimously recognised as a poisson rouge, another of Dr Strabismus' extravagant ideas.

The saucy Mrs Flobster pointed out that there is a Thread Creation Ration number based on a complex algorithm derived from Years on Forum x Attendance on Forum / pertinence and popularity of threads created. Usually around 42.

Under present rules it is also possible to have more than one topic associated with a particular day. Also a day can be divided into recognised sections, that is: morning, afternoon, evening.
      Further subdivisions may also be made. Threads can therefore be started down to quite a fine level of time-based granularity.
      The Welsh 15 minutes on an fortnightly Weds morning between 10.15 and 10.30
      Last edited by Globaltruth; 05-08-18, 09:06. Reason: with apologies, of course, to J B Morton.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
        The meeting lasted many hours and, despite best efforts, diverged widely. Hardly surprising given that the members included, but were not confined to Mr Justice Cocklecarrot, Mr Tinklebury Snapdriver, and the loquacious Mr Honeyweather Gooseboote.
        After a quick financial assessment of costs required to implement such a checking system (billions apparently) and an even quicker reference to the Use Your Common Sense committee (which is, it seems, permanently engaged fighting fires elsewhere) the idea was unanimously recognised as a poisson rouge, another of Dr Strabismus' extravagant ideas.

Under present rules it is also possible to have more than one topic associated with a particular day. Also a day can be divided into recognised sections, that is: morning, afternoon, evening.
        Further subdivisions may also be made. Threads can therefore be started down to quite a fine level of time-based granularity.

Thanks for all the hard work, GT, glad to get that clarified. They should headhunt you to sort this UK/EU withdrawal negotiations' business - you'd have things sorted out by 'EU Friday Afternoon Just After Tea-Break But Before You Head Home'.
        Last edited by Globaltruth; 05-08-18, 13:15.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Belfast fiddler Conor Caldwell performs 'Dulaman na Binne Bui' and 'The Swallow's Tail'. Fine player, I think.
          Dulaman na Binne Bui (highland) and The Swallow's Tail (reel)Video by Stuart CalvinSound by Chris Ryan at The Oh Yeah Centre, Belfast.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

My goodness me, GT. At least you and the other people questioned have considered this seriously. You are clearly not at all aligned with a Council refuse regime that will have killed 1-3 people before the end of this year by not responding to anything which of course is psychological rape. I will open a thread on this topic - so-called ecological manslaughter - but luckily not in world music. The great thing about world music continues to be that it isn't political. I am surprised the public still allows politics to exist. I'm not a member - but more fool them.

Sinead O'Connor - You're The One - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gotGzYu08cI

I love it - Sinead at 51 has definitely got it in Jan 2018 for Shane's 60th - I know, I know, call it a weakness, I have always been for her, however very testing she has been!

Tbh I saw her in the acoustic tent at Glasto and she was in a mood - she sat in the corner and made the audience go quiet and we couldn't hear her - I think I saw her live elsewhere - another festival - Fleadh - when she was good. But she looks like she's going on for a fair few years and, make no mistake, she's got on balance a unique musicality. A real depth there!
            Last edited by Lat-Literal; 10-08-18, 23:36.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

I love it - Sinead at 51 has definitely got it in Jan 2018 for Shane's 60th - I know, I know, call it a weakness, I have always been for her, however very testing she has been!

(Tbh I saw her in the acoustic tent at Glasto and she was in a mood - she sat in the corner and made the audience go quiet so they couldn't hear her - I think I saw her live elsewhere - another festival - when she was pretty good. But she looks like she's going on for a fair few years and, make no mistake, she's got on balance a unique musicality)
              She's changed her name to Magda Davitt, Lat, and she's got a new record coming out - great voice but she was often a touch too much 'torch song' performer for my liking.
              Magda Davitt, the artist formerly known as Sinéad O’Connor, has released a demo for the first track to be on her upcoming album “No Mud No Lotus.”

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                She's changed her name to Magda Davitt, Lat, and she's got a new record coming out - great voice but she was often a touch too much 'torch song' performer for my liking.
                https://www.irishcentral.com/culture...g-magda-davitt
                I had half picked up on that point, JC - but I didn't quite understand it until you highlighted it. so thank you. Isn't this a perspective thing? That the great French singers can do torch song but not anyone else? It doesn't matter hugely. I like a torch song, especially if it is wacky or from a tabloid idea of wacky. These are the three by her which especially do it for me:

Scorn Not His Simplicty (Coulter) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpOprrQfryo
                Three Babies - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3mQYj86JRM
                Success Made a Failure of Home - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fQJgNW-lfE
                Last edited by Lat-Literal; 10-08-18, 23:54.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

A week or two back I posted the track by Fold entitled 'So It Goes' featuring Kurt Vonnegut. Here it is from soundcloud.
                  Kurt Vonnegut in 1973 and Mary O’Hara in 1957 feature on this track that reflects on coping with death and grief through the use of excerpts from the former’s novel Slaughterhouse-Five narrated by the

I was having a look at it again yesterday and noticed that it also sampled Irish harpist and singer Mary O'Hara singing 'Eileen Aroon' from the late 50s...and what a delight that is for this Irish Friday.
                  Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesEileen Aroon · Mary O'HaraSongs of Erin℗ 2010 Past ClassicsReleased on: 2010-09-05Music Publisher: Saland Publi...

Comment

• Globaltruth
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                    A week or two back I posted the track by Fold entitled 'So It Goes' featuring Kurt Vonnegut. Here it is from soundcloud.
                    Kurt Vonnegut in 1973 and Mary O’Hara in 1957 feature on this track that reflects on coping with death and grief through the use of excerpts from the former’s novel Slaughterhouse-Five narrated by the

I was having a look at it again yesterday and noticed that it also sampled Irish harpist and singer Mary O'Hara singing 'Eileen Aroon' from the late 50s...and what a delight that is for this Irish Friday.
                    Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesEileen Aroon · Mary O'HaraSongs of Erin℗ 2010 Past ClassicsReleased on: 2010-09-05Music Publisher: Saland Publi...

Good work JC - I predict learned articles on ethnomusicology from your good self shortly

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Good work JC - I predict learned articles on ethnomusicology from your good self shortly
                      Don't hold your breath, G.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

One of my pals went to see a young Scottish fiddler, Ryan Young, at the Edinburgh Festival this year. He sent me a CD and very enjoyable it is. Ryan would seem to have been listening to his Martin Hayes records, and no bad thing, I would say. Here's Ryan on 'The Irish Lass' ...have a happy equinoctial Irish Friday.
                        A tune from my forth coming album, 'Ryan Young', accompanied by James Ross on Piano. Recorded Live at the RCS in Glasgow.www.ryanyoung.scothttps://www.faceb...
                        Last edited by johncorrigan; 21-09-18, 08:26. Reason: cor! equinox already!

Comment

• Globaltruth
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

He's good JC, there is an album on Spot. Will be keeping an ear open for him from now on.

Wonder if he fancies the hardanger d'amore...
                          Follow Other Voices: 👍 - Facebook: http://on.fb.me/1wr1m3O📝 - Twitter: http://bit.ly/1EjD9BB📷 - Instagram: http://bit.ly/1htgIF7🌍 - Website: ...
                          Last edited by Globaltruth; 21-09-18, 15:59. Reason: Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh has the instrument to himself it seems...

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                            • Aug 2015

He's good JC, there is an album on Spot. Will be keeping an ear open for him from now on.

Wonder if he fancies the hardanger d'amore...
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpjrLb4zxOI
                            Only 39, there is a future there for taking the traditional forward. He has performed with the Waterboys, Ideally I would have gone to Looe for their gig to be held soon but it is sold out.

The Waterboys - Sante Fe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BXowojK7P0

Comment

• Padraig
                              • Feb 2013

It's not Friday but it could have been Irish like a lot of good dancing. Oui?

Listen: http://smarturl.it/thegloaming1An excerpt from 'Moment To Moment,' a biographical film about The Gloaming directed by Philip King & produced by South...

Un Grand Oops! I'll leave the above error for its own sake, but this is what I intended:

www.dewv.eduwww.augustaheritagecenter.orgThis performance took place August 4, 2011 during Bluegrass Week at the Augusta Heritage Center of Davis & Elkins Co...

Apologies.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                                It's not Friday but it could have been Irish like a lot of good dancing. Oui?

Listen: http://smarturl.it/thegloaming1An excerpt from 'Moment To Moment,' a biographical film about The Gloaming directed by Philip King & produced by South...

Un Grand Oops! I'll leave the above error for its own sake, but this is what I intended:

www.dewv.eduwww.augustaheritagecenter.orgThis performance took place August 4, 2011 during Bluegrass Week at the Augusta Heritage Center of Davis & Elkins Co...

Apologies.
                                No need to apologise Padraig - in fact a great post, which I've seen before but had not realised it was from a 52 minute film about the Gloaming; even better the film is available for free (legitimately) on Vimeo.

Here is the link:
                                Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

They're doing a couple of gigs in London at the end of Feb. next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X