Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish Fridays

It being St Patrick's Day ... and before we run out of days of the week*, a track combining The Chieftains, Sean O'Riada - courtesy of Stanley Kubrick.
    Sentimental and simplistic perhaps or atmospheric and nostalgic or none of the above...

Dedicated to Mrs GT of course.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

* Malian Mondays anyone???
    Last edited by Globaltruth; 17-03-17, 08:01.

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    It being St Patrick's Day ... and before we run out of days of the week*, a track combining The Chieftains, Sean O'Riada - courtesy of Stanley Kubrick.
    Sentimental and simplistic perhaps or atmospheric and nostalgic or none of the above...

Dedicated to Mrs GT of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq0Vd8vSfHc
    Thanks Global and top of the morning to you and your good lady - wonderful stuff. And since we're on the subject of films and Ireland and all that, no apologies for once again posting Frank Patterson's heart-breaking rendition of The Lass of Aughrim from Huston's final film 'The Dead'
    A traditional Irish song in the film: The Dead (1987), based on the same name story in the book "Dubliners" by James Joyce If you'll be the lass of AughrimA...

- nothin' like a bit of cheer to get a Feastive Friday going!

* Malian Mondays anyone???
    I was contemplating Madagascan Monday Mornings, GT.

Comment

Thousands are Sailing

Two songs -

Planxty - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8E2QuWZhfE

Pogues - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc1G7aCpSsI

Comment

Pogues on St Patrick's Day at Town and Country, Kentish Town, in 1988 must be one of the great live concerts I have attended. Kirsty came on for Fairytale of New York. There was much joining in ... and we got fake snow. I was not a great rock gig attender (limiting myself mainly to B Dylan) and this was a lucky break for me. A friend of mine was booking for himself and girl friend as a birthday outing and they wanted to drink. Public transport was out of the question from deepest Wiltshire, so the offer was: you drive us and I'll pay for the ticket. I suspect I might have been the only sober person in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          Pogues on St Patrick's Day at Town and Country, Kentish Town, in 1988 must be one of the great live concerts I have attended. Kirsty came on for Fairytale of New York. There was much joining in ... and we got fake snow. I was not a great rock gig attender (limiting myself mainly to B Dylan) and this was a lucky break for me. A friend of mine was booking for himself and girl friend as a birthday outing and they wanted to drink. Public transport was out of the question from deepest Wiltshire, so the offer was: you drive us and I'll pay for the ticket. I suspect I might have been the only sober person in the house.
          We could have been next to each other.

I was there.

And also there on the 14th and the 15th of March that year (they did four nights and we did three).

Have you seen the full video to see if you are in it? I think I am but have never been 100% on it. Actually, we were at the Pogues on St Patrick's Night in 1987/1989 too. And on another eight occasions from 1987 to the 1990s - they were by far my favourite live band. I am so pleased that you enjoyed it. It's still what I really miss on this day of the year.
          Last edited by Lat-Literal; 17-03-17, 14:31.

Comment

There are two ways to celebrate the Feast of Patrick - to get drunk, or to have a good cry...
            There are three ways - to get drunk, to have a good cry, or, get drunk AND have a good cry.
            I'll just be shedding a tear.
            You?

Performer - Deanna DurbinLyrics - Frederick WeatherlyThe famous ballad "Danny Boy", ironically, was written by a man who never set foot in Ireland. Weatherl...

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post

I was there.

And also there on the 14th and the 15th of March that year (they did four nights and we did three).

Have you seen the full video to see if you are in it? I think I am but have never been 100% on it. Actually, we were at the Pogues on St Patrick's Night in 1987/1989 too. And on another eight occasions from 1987 to the 1990s - they were by far my favourite live band. I am so pleased that you enjoyed it. It's still what I really miss on this day of the year.
              I have sort of checked but couldn't see me. I think I was further back. My wife stayed at home that night - the kids were still young - and her feelings were mixed when I told her what a good night it had been. We nearly always did stuff together and vowed to make it up some time. We did eventually go to see them together quite a few years later - a less impressive effort at Brixton, but worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post

I was there.

I saw them once at the Mayflower in Southampton. Looks like it was on March 13 1988, the day before the Kentish Town gig.
                Like a Celtic game with music !!

Great band, but if I never hear " fairytale" again it'll be a lot too soon.

this'll get the tears flowing after a few jars tonight though......
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Its been an ambition of mine to see the Saw Doctors play live in Galway, or at least in that area.

Well, it may or may not happen, but I've tickets for a rearranged concert at Salisbury City Hall in a couple of weeks, and its a few years since we have seen them Always a great night out.

One of their best...

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

I lived for many years close to the foot of the Mourne Mountains (I have a precious watercolour of the Mournes from St John's Point, by an artist friend, on my wall to remind me). Everyone knows the song - but does anyone ever stop to think about poor Mary, the recipient of the wide-eyed singer's song, not to mention their friend Paddy O'Loughlin? An old friend from those days, now based in Canada, provides this insight - here's Mary's Reply....

Comment

Can't let the day pass without including Iarla and the lads, but which track?

You decide... just make sure you listen to at least one Gloaming track.

Thank you posters for making such a great thread so far.

Comment

Can't let the day pass without including Iarla and the lads, but which track?

You decide... just make sure you listen to at least one Gloaming track.

Thank you posters for making such a great thread so far.
                        Agreed! Can I have Pilgrim Song today please, GT?...seems appropriate for St Patrick's Day.
                        The Pilgrim's Song is taken from the second album by The Gloaming out now on Real World Records.More information: https://realworldrecords.com/release/...Buy...

Comment

Well if I was putting together my dream line up for tonight, and forgiving a woeful knowledge of Irish trad, I'd certainly book this lot.

seen them a time or two, and if you you want my hopelessly under informed opinion, they are absolutely not, on any account, to be missed, if you have the chance.

From the very top drawer.
                          Last edited by teamsaint; 17-03-17, 22:06.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            I have sort of checked but couldn't see me. I think I was further back. My wife stayed at home that night - the kids were still young - and her feelings were mixed when I told her what a good night it had been. We nearly always did stuff together and vowed to make it up some time. We did eventually go to see them together quite a few years later - a less impressive effort at Brixton, but worth going.
                            That was a bit late from my point of view. I think the 12th or 13th time I saw them was at the Shepherd's Bush Empire. Very early 2000s? I was mournful because they were just so rough on that night. It was probably the 12th time because there might well have been one afterwards that was better. Perhaps that was 2004. I'm not sure. I have had the video of St Patrick's, 1988 for a very long time. It precisely captures the atmosphere from and very much including embarking the underground train. The performance, though, always seems a little disappointing. I feel that they were tighter than comes across - especially vocally. Certainly they had the ability to be more in tune, whatever the mayhem. But it would be best to say that we were all very "tired" by the 17th so they must have been, having performed and done four in a row. Actually more given team saint's interesting point.

There are elements at events that are essentially what an individual wishes to see. I swear that their gigs were very diverse in terms of the ages of people attending with a fair number perceived as much older then (50s) although I could easily be wrong. I liked the idea that it was cross generational. Initially there was a sense of "could it all turn nasty?" but it never did although spirits were higher than high. As I have written before I had attended in earlier years Lindisfarne gigs including at Newcastle City Hall. I never expected to witness the like again but the Pogues if anything took the sense of togetherness further, albeit with less of a base. Plus there had been punk and then bookish bands. Now here was a punkish and bookish band. The literary quality was a very key part. The balladry always worked for me better than the likes of "Fiesta" but I loved it all. A fine but odd romance.

Lullaby of London - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPtw8Pl_fn0
                            Last edited by Lat-Literal; 17-03-17, 21:32.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint
                              Ah, but thats how it always is, isn't it? somehow we have an image, maybe a run of 10 perfect albums, graceful retirement, a string of memorable, personal gigs, never let down.
                              But nearly has to be enough.....
                              So spot on, ts.......that is one of your best posts ever if you don't mind me saying so.

A couple of imperfect, perfect swimmy visuals for March 17th if I can find the Hansard clip I want to go with the Van:

Van Morrison - Contacting My Angel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-JozqMdsBY

Yes......this is the musical live version I like best and a swirling camera that adds to it:

Hansard and Irglova - Fitzcarraldo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkckM_vTseE

(Both clips perhaps aptly edited too abruptly)

R3F - The Verb, 2011 -

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                              Hi GT, I also enjoyed Emma Donoghue's description of the remarkable Annie Edson Taylor, the first person to survive a trip over Niagara Falls in a barrel which remarkably she achieved on her 63rd birthday. What people will do to escape the poor house! I have an interest in the story of Peruvian Carlos Fermin Fitzcarrald and Herzog's reinterpretation of his character as Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald. He attempted to reach the point where two rivers nearly met and pull a 320-ton steamer over a hillside from one river to the next. I think that there are similarities between Taylor and Fitzcarrald/Fitzgerald and the kinds of symbolism they bring to mind.

While neither Taylor nor Fitzcarrald were Irish, the semi-fictitious Fitzgerald is, as is Glen Hansard who in part based that wonderful song "Fitzcarraldo" on Fitzgerald, and so too Emma Donoghue. Perhaps there is something about the Irish character that identifies with a difficult crossing of water. One thinks of emigration following famine. Taylor's moment as revealed to us by Emma brought to mind horse racing - "and we're off...." - as the cord of the barrel is untied. It is very much a tale of spectacle. We are though also given a vivid impression of Annie's feelings on this rollercoaster ride, the constraints and the sense of freedom, the birth like drop and the daring with death. David Blaine? Forget him. It has all been done before. Incidentally, she lived until 82 - Lat.

Last edited by Lat-Literal; 17-03-17, 21:38.

Comment

Working...
                              X