Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galway today...My Fellow Sponges. Impossible band to pin down. Is this typical ? No, but then no one song is typical.

The Cold HandPerformed by My Fellow SpongesVideo by the talented Mia Mullarkey of Ishka Films. Video Credits:Writer/ Director - Mia MullarkeyProducer - Anna ...

Comment

Originally posted by zola View Post
      Galway today...My Fellow Sponges. Impossible band to pin down. Is this typical ? No, but then no one song is typical.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EUCaToYQRg
      Greatly enjoyed that, zola - and the other youTube videos that your link led me to.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        Agreed! Can I have Pilgrim Song today please, GT?...seems appropriate for St Patrick's Day.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8-N3kkw7O4
        That is excellent as too Fáinleog which follows it. I have never quite "got" The Gloaming but that just clicked in this context tonight.

Every post I've read on this thread - which is most so far and I will read them all - has been terrific. It has tapped into something.

Comment

Originally posted by zola View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EUCaToYQRg
          That was great, zola...never heard of them before. Thanks.

'I'll tell me Ma' - Van and the Chieftains with a wee bit of the Sash in there...
          Performer - Deanna DurbinLyrics - Frederick WeatherlyThe famous ballad "Danny Boy", ironically, was written by a man who never set foot in Ireland. Weatherl...

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
            Can't let the day pass without including Iarla and the lads, but which track?
            I've posted this before G, and it's pre-Gloaming. I think it represents Iarla at the top of his form. But then I feel I'm reverting to second childhood in my musical tastes.

If I had to choose a Gloaming track it would be Slan le Maighe - Farewell to Maighe.

A vision of a woman, personifying Ireland, beseeches the singer and the rest of us to rise and take up arms against the English invader.As I was far away lat...

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
              I've posted this before G, and it's pre-Gloaming. I think it represents Iarla at the top of his form. But then I feel I'm reverting to second childhood in my musical tastes.

If I had to choose a Gloaming track it would be Slan le Maighe - Farewell to Maighe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJt18WYjI7U
              Wonderful, Padraig...Iarla's voice draws you right in.

And from a guy at the top of his game to a man reaching the latter end of life - Tom Phaidin Tom about 30 years ago, in his 80s then, I suppose, singing 'Banks of the Nile' with De Danann - sends shivers down my spine every time.
              "The Banks of the Nile" was sung on"Mist Covered Mountain" by sean-nos singer Tom O'Coisdealbha (Tom Phaidin Tom).Oh hark the drums are beating love no longe...

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Greatly enjoyed that, zola - and the other youTube videos that your link led me to.
                Glad people enjoyed it. The singer/ keyboard player/ songwriter Anna's mother directs the quirky videos. Unusual to have male and female co-leaders ( or so it seems )

Comment

it's a long Friday here, or maybe just a long time till next Friday....

Well, couldn't wait that long to give a plug to this TV programme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...es-1-episode-1
                  with music by the excellent Colm mac con iomaire... I have nothing but praise for this programme, and nothing but admiration for Colin Stafford-Johnson's prowess in the currach. Those oars are pretty heavy. He chose some nice days to go out though, that'll be the 30-40 days each year when it isn't raining AND windy.
                  Who can blame him for that? (The Irish have over 200 different words for rain by the way)

He missed a couple of personal favourite islands off - but maybe that's a good thing. Heir/Hare Island for one; there's another one I can't even remember the name - one pub called The Nightingale which opens whenever you want a drink day or night, a small lake full of tiny fish that nibble your toes, and the community share a few ramshackle cars to get around that are left wherever the last person got out with the keys in the ignition.

Or maybe I dreamt it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j7z20kvE2g

Comment

Thank you G. Lots of great material here - of places and of wild life. You obviously know the Irish coast better than I do; I have never been as far south. I'm a stranger in my own land.
                    Of course I rose like a trout to a fly to the references to Port na bPucai, a great tune and story realised in so many ways by so many musicians - and poets:

Cormac Breatnach plays Port na bPúcaíMore Info @ www.cormacbreatnach.com

and The Given Note from Door into the Dark 1969

Comment

Thank you G. Lots of great material here - of places and of wild life. You obviously know the Irish coast better than I do; I have never been as far south. I'm a stranger in my own land.
                      Of course I rose like a trout to a fly to the references to Port na bPucai, a great tune and story realised in so many ways by so many musicians - and poets:

Cormac Breatnach plays Port na bPúcaíMore Info @ www.cormacbreatnach.com

and The Given Note from Door into the Dark 1969

Comment

Here's a laid-back performer for you! But I dare you to keep your feet still.

Vanessa Millar, winner of the All Ireland Button Accordion Competition in 2011 performing 'The High Level Hornpipe'

Comment

I will not be taking any further part in this thread on Fridays or at any other time.

The same applies to Scottish music threads for the time being.

It is impossible to engage with it genuinely when others' Nationalism has become so hateful.

Or indeed to hear it in the same way.

Comment

there's another one I can't even remember the name - one pub called The Nightingale which opens whenever you want a drink day or night, a small lake full of tiny fish that nibble your toes, and the community share a few ramshackle cars to get around that are left wherever the last person got out with the keys in the ignition.

Or maybe I dreamt it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j7z20kvE2g
                            Found it! It was Cape Clear Island - they have their own website

Only thing is, the pub seems to have disappeared...

Comment

it's a long Friday here, or maybe just a long time till next Friday....

Well, couldn't wait that long to give a plug to this TV programme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...es-1-episode-1
                              Great programme that, GT. Fantastic scenery, great filming and a very enjoyable tour guide. Some lovely sounds in there...and yeah! Humpbacks...wow!

Comment

Now, Lynched have changed their name to Lankum. Here they are when they were still known as Lynched, and, in fact, as far I can see, they haven't released anything under the new name. To make up for it, they've merged a couple of songs together here. All v confusing.
                                Just have a listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y37Eo2mhMrI
                                Last edited by Globaltruth; 24-03-17, 18:10.

Comment

Working...
                                X