Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    Now, Lynched have changed their name to Lankum. Here they are when they were still known as Lynched, and, in fact, as far I can see, they haven't released anything under the new name. To make up for it, they've merged a couple of songs together here. All v confusing.
    Just have a listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y37Eo2mhMrI
    Glad they had the second one there, G. I enjoyed that one the better for having got used to them. Lynched was not a great bandname...as for Lankum, I'm not sure I'd have been re-ordering the letter-headed paper to bring that one on board.
    Last night I was switching around and came across Moving Hearts on Beeb Alba from Celtic Connections last year doing 'Titanic' and I fair enjoyed it. Here they are doing it from 10 years back.
    From the now legendary series of gigs in Vicar Street, Dublin during the winter of 2007. Titanic builds from a haunting low pipe melody from Davy Spillane to...

Comment

Now, Lynched have changed their name to Lankum. Here they are when they were still known as Lynched, and, in fact, as far I can see, they haven't released anything under the new name. To make up for it, they've merged a couple of songs together here. All v confusing.
      Just have a listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y37Eo2mhMrI
      Erm, yes, I think we can say yes and thanks for it. I hadn't heard of them before. Dodgy typescript on the left one's shirt but counterbalanced by the long hair and a Guardian article - https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...punk-interview. I don't have the long hair or the writing on my shirt myself. The two friends I had who walked out of a modelling catalogue went to Ireland and had a good old laugh at a bit of pop on the TV there. They brought it back for me on a disc as I "might like that sort of thing". I became a largely absent godparent to their second child. He was having affairs. I covered up for him until he became my boss. Then we really fell out. She became a teacher and married an ok BBC man. Neither obviously was the only black boy in a school football team in Kent born to a 17 year old girl out of wedlock. They were fine enough but could have done better overall:

The Big Geraniums - Growing Old - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fFMAvgAcO0

Comment

Could be an anthem for?.... any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU2qYsDuYV8

Could be an anthem for?.... any ideas?
          You first.

You do realise that today is Thursday?

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
            You first.

You do realise that today is Thursday?
            Between the jigs and the reels I lost track.

I don't hear this played too much, I wonder why... It's probably best known as that super-tune from Chieftains' Coombe no.6. That's where I got it from anyway.

Comment

Between the jigs and the reels I lost track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPFT2lGeBp4
              That's quite ok.

But you haven't answered my/your question, just as Alex Salmond has yet to reply to my e-mail along the following lines :

"Dear Alex Salmond, I was interested to read your recent comment that "The Empire is Over" but with respect seek clarification. Would it be right to view it as pertaining more to the historical role of Scottish people rather than the English, Welsh or Irish? Obviously we can count out the failed Darien Scheme which was in effect an attempt at Scottish Empire but before the Act of Union. However, the significant academic researchers Mackenzie and Devine are pretty certain that the Scottish people had a more enthusiastic role in many aspects of the British Empire than anyone else including throughout India. Plus of course the Scottish took the most robust "old British Empire stance" re Suez in 1956. My question isn't a point. I would genuinely like a considered reply as I think it would clarify your position not only for me but for everyone living in Scotland today, Kind regards, Lat-Literal"

I will let you know if I receive a reply but he is 62 and his good lady wife is now 79 so I recognise that he may not be able to do so because of substantial private commitments.
              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 30-03-17, 15:50.

Comment

Well. Lat, it is a question fraught with frightful difficulties and I'm not surprised that AS has not yet replied.
                But... what do you think yourself?

Comment

Well. Lat, it is a question fraught with frightful difficulties and I'm not surprised that AS has not yet replied.
                  But... what do you think yourself?
                  On Ireland or Scotland?

I largely got my 2 :1 on the grounds of an essay about Northern Ireland where I was asked which solution I would choose and argued that there wasn't a solution. For some considerable time, I have been proven wrong in many ways. On a personal level, I like to think I did my bit. The road to the Pogues in 1987 began one half mile from where I lived in 1975 and where I am writing now - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterham_Arms_pub_bombing. We made very little of it and so did the media in comparison to 2017. Most don't recall it but just a year earlier we were junior school kids entertaining Joey Deacon and his pals (singing) in St Lawrences Hospital opposite. Those early juxtapositions tend to inform my outlook in the broadest of terms rather than any less personal sort of football style allegiances or indeed any political stances : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tongue-Subn.../dp/0855370173......but you may have been alluding to the EU and the Great Repeal Bill. I don't know. That is why I thought it civil to ask you to answer your question first.
                  Last edited by Lat-Literal; 30-03-17, 16:37.

Comment

The importance of punctuation once again: "Could be an anthem for.... any ideas?" was my intended question. But I put in an extra question mark after "for" which created nonsense. Sorry.
                    As well as that, I was attempting to be humorous, which was also a failure.
                    I might try again on a Friday. Today is not my day.

Comment

The importance of punctuation once again: "Could be an anthem for.... any ideas?" was my intended question. But I put in an extra question mark after "for" which created nonsense. Sorry.
                      As well as that, I was attempting to be humorous, which was also a failure.
                      I might try again on a Friday. Today is not my day.
                      No.......you are doing fine.

Ireland is my second favourite country.

Thank you.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lat-Literal;613983]

Ireland is my second favourite country.

[QUOTE]
                        Which Ireland's that, Lat?

My old Dad loved Count John McCormack, and though I'm a bit early for Irish Friday I felt a wee bit of 'The Rose of Tralee' would set me up for the night.
                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                          Your quote - Ireland is my second favourite country.

Which Ireland's that, Lat?

My old Dad loved Count John McCormack, and though I'm a bit early for Irish Friday I felt a wee bit of 'The Rose of Tralee' would set me up for the night.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=royW...2gKsxOTq_k3X0Y
                          A very nice link, JC. Thank you for your question. I can only answer - in the context that I made the statement - that I was referring to what is now known as "Ireland" or (earlier) specifically the "Republic of Ireland" with my favourite country being the "United Kingdom" as that is the current international reality. However, in my main perception - conceptual, cultural, musical, environmental, social - my enjoyment of Ireland includes the South and the North. I see any border between the two as a soft border which happens, of course, to echo the political arrangements of the GFA, just as I see the borders between England and Scotland and Wales as soft borders in similar enjoyment of England, Scotland and Wales.

A musical example? Van Morrison is both Northern Ireland in the United Kingdom and the island of Ireland to me with no hard conceptual distinction there between North and South.
                          Last edited by Lat-Literal; 31-03-17, 06:26.

Comment

Hopefully I don't need to clarify that this is offered in a non-sectarian way...but just in case, I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA14IfKNj5k

Comment

Hopefully I don't need to clarify that this is offered in a non-sectarian way...but just in case, I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA14IfKNj5k
                              That is outstanding.

Thanks.

I will spare you all the lengthy essay I wrote on backs of envelopes overnight. Suffice it to say this. I am not averse in principle to the unification of Ireland as I tend to think that geographical islands are most secure as one political entity. Plus in contrast to 1985 when I got my degree, we are now quite close to consistent majorities in favour of unification because of demographic change. But, that word "secure" is key. There is nothing in my mind that is more important than a majority vote except one thing. That is the security of all citizens as a consequence of any such vote wherever they may reside. In my assessment, there will need to be further shifts in the political arrangements towards unification and a very considerable length of time to ensure that those are secure before full unification. I would think decades and not in most of our lifetimes. The only fair change in any context is one in which all reasonable citizens can accommodate and assimilate change. That, actually, is why I didn't like the sudden dramatic expansion of the EU in 2004 and why I favour immigration controls to enable immigration to occur at a chosen pace. Good timing enables positive outcomes that seem natural. Bad timing leads to dire outcomes that feel forced.

That is the abbreviated version.

Comment

Herzliya Performing Arts CenterHerzliya, IsraelTuesday, April 12, 2011
                                Last edited by Padraig; 02-04-17, 23:00.

Comment

Working...
                                X