• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    Bit off topic, but here is W H Auden's peom on the death of W B Yeats:
    Now that Yeats is an established topic here is another peom set to music :

SEPTEMBER 1913 (Remix) - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

Now that Yeats is an established topic here is another peom set to music :

SEPTEMBER 1913 (Remix) - YouTube
      It would be somehow remiss of me to miss Joni's version of this peom by WB...went for the orchestral version, in case you're wondering.
      Provided to YouTube by NonesuchSlouching Towards Bethlehem · Joni MitchellTravelogue℗ 2002 Nonesuch RecordsUnknown: Allen SidesUnknown: Andy StrangeUnknown: ...

Comment

Just thought I would include the poem itself,John. What a good version Joni's is.

The Second Coming by William Butler Yeats | Poetry Foundation

Comment

I'm offering yet another version of The Coulin, this time in an arrangement for cello and accordion - a nod to classical and traditional - by Joan Trimble, a twentieth century composer from Northern Ireland with a foot in both musical camps. This arrangement brings out the beauty of this air which I personally have adored since the first time I heard it, and in a way which appeals to me because it embraces those two genres. The first time was in Belfast,as it happens, when as a student I joined a new choral group, where The Coulin was one of its small but growing repertoire. We sang it as 'The Last Glimpse of Erin' and whatever Irish History or Legend it was supposed to honour I saw it as a lovely melody, which I still do.The group went on to become the St.Agnes Choral Society of some fame, but that was after my time. I hope you think it deserves its place on Irish Fridays.

The Coolin by Joan Trimble with Adrian Mantu & Dermot Dunne for cello & accordion - YouTube

Comment

Wonderful combination of instruments, Padraig. The cello and the accordion set each other off beautifully. Great tune.

Comment

Sir Van's classic, 'Coney Island' came on today when we were decorating. I certainly would rather have been watching the autumn sunshine coming streaming through the Coney Island window, than the rain streaming from today's Angus sky. Anyway, Paul Muldoon's been getting a bit attention this week because of his McCartney associations...here he is heading to Coney.

Paul Muldoon performs ‘Coney Island' by Van Morrison during lockdown, as part of Rave On, Van Morrison – the celebration of the work of the legendary Irish s...

Comment

Eleven minutes in to last night's 'Front Row' on BBC Radio 4 there was an interview with Martin Hayes and the rest of Common Ground, who played live in the studio. He's always a great guest and last night was no exception

By the way, they are playing Celtic Connections in Glasgow in January.

Comment

Good he's out and about - I'll be giving that a listen shortly thanks JC.

Comment

I'll be giving that a listen shortly thanks JC.
                    Martin is from 11.00 - about 28.00, G.

Interesting talk as ever, I thought. Not sure, with respect, I 'got' the music. Any pointers?

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

Interesting talk as ever, I thought. Not sure, with respect, I 'got' the music. Any pointers?
                      Sounds to me that he is continuing to walk the territory of The Gloaming, and trying it out with different musicians, Padraig. I like it although I find I am missing his old mate Dennis Cahill, though probably not nearly as much as Martin does. Also, I wonder how things hold up without a singer. I've a couple of tickets to see Common Ground in Glasgow in the new year so I will find out more then.

Comment

My vote is that Petroc is permanently stationed in Ireland.
                        I was also sadly relieved to hear him comment on the dreadful algal blooms in Lough Neagh - there was a danger he was painting an over-idyllic picture...
                        ]
                        Very interesting programme on BBC Radio4 this evening called ' A Wake for Lough Neagh'.

Author Nick Laird investigates the environmental crisis at Northern Ireland's Lough Neagh.

Comment

I bought an 'Uncut' magazine this week, essentially because it had a CD attached of tracks chosen by Lankum. This one has Iona Zajac with Daragh Lynch from the band; so, almost inevitably, there's a fair amount of drone in there. It's a fine version of a song from Aberdeenshire 'The Burning of Auchindoun'...Iona has a fine voice, I thought.
                          'The Burning of Auchindoun' is taken from 'Songs Without Authors' Vol. 1, out September 10th on Broadside Hacks Recordings.Listen to 'The Burning of Auchindo...

Happy Irish Friday. Hope you're all staying dry.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan;n1288968
                            [url
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDpx63uONmc[/url]
                            Happy Irish Friday. Hope you're all staying dry.
                            Thanks John. For the north west corner of Ireland, once described as the sponge of Europe, we only had a touch of rain and a bit of a breeze. Must be Climate Change!

Comment

Radcliffe's folk show BBC Radio 2 had a Joni special this week. As part of this, here's the birthday gal back in '63 at the ripe young age of 20 giving a beautiful take on the old classic, 'Molly Malone'.
                              Provided to YouTube by RhinoMolly Malone · Joni MitchellJoni Mitchell Archives – Vol. 1: The Early Years (1963-1967)℗ 2020 Rhino Entertainment Company, a War...

Comment

One of my favourite bits of the rather excellent film 'The Ballad of Buster Scruggs' is Tom Waits as the grizzly, old-time prospector raiding the peace of a beautiful valley in search of gold; and then as he's leaving, breaking into this grizzled version of 'Mother Macree'. It's got Irish Friday written right through it.
                                video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

Working...
                                X