Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

It’s not just the purity of the voice is it ? It’s the extraordinarily clear diction.
    And the power.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

And the power.
      Well he once sang to a vast crowd at Phoenix Park so he must have had a pair of lungs on him ! There is a family story that my Grandmother was acquainted with him- never been able to confirm it. She certainly knew a lot about racehorses.

Comment

I had a listen to 'Oppenheimer' star Cillian Murphy's Desert Island Discs this afternoon. I thought we were going to go through another show where the castaway chooses nothing but white men, but he slipped Lisa O'Neill in at the end with her fab song, 'If I Were a Painter'. He did also chose Séamus Ennis playing 'The Wandering Minstrel', ideal for any Irish Friday, I would suggest.
        Provided to YouTube by IIP-DDSThe Wandering Minstrel / Jackson's Morning Brush · Séamus EnnisThe Wandering Minstrel℗ Topic Records Ltd.Released on: 2016-12-2...

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          He did also chose Séamus Ennis playing 'The Wandering Minstrel', ideal for any Irish Friday, I would suggest.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFBrx-ZvHgI
          Nothing like an Irish Jig for spicing up a Friday, John - the tartar sauce for your fish!

He could have spiced up the set by a change of key between the two tunes -- Irish audiences love a change up; maybe that's where Coulter got the habit - eh Ein Heldenleben?

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            I had a listen to 'Oppenheimer' star Cillian Murphy's Desert Island Discs this afternoon. I thought we were going to go through another show where the castaway chooses nothing but white men, but he slipped Lisa O'Neill in at the end with her fab song, 'If I Were a Painter'. He did also chose Séamus Ennis playing 'The Wandering Minstrel', ideal for any Irish Friday, I would suggest.
            Provided to YouTube by IIP-DDSThe Wandering Minstrel / Jackson's Morning Brush · Séamus EnnisThe Wandering Minstrel℗ Topic Records Ltd.Released on: 2016-12-2...

Check out his Limited Edition shows on 6Music if you haven't already.
            Sample episode:

Kinks, Dylan, Ivor Cutler, Beach Boys - I thought you'd been marking his card JC....

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

Nothing like an Irish Jig for spicing up a Friday, John - the tartar sauce for your fish!

He could have spiced up the set by a change of key between the two tunes -- Irish audiences love a change up; maybe that's where Coulter got the habit - eh Ein Heldenleben?
              Maybe but I think it’s a standard 60’s pop tactic. Change up a key for the fade out…

Comment

Maybe but I think it’s a standard 60’s pop tactic. Change up a key for the fade out…
                I'll get back to you - I don't know what happened other than I have been hijacked by my own bafflement. I'm going to start again - but not now. Apologies

Comment

I'll get back to you - I don't know what happened other than I have been hijacked by my own bafflement. I'm going to start again - but not now. Apologies
                  No need to apologise! Interestingly (well it is to me at any rate ) on the occasions when they play both anthems Amhrán na bhFiann​ is in Bflat and Ireland’s Call in Dmajor - Bflat’s mediant . A key juxtaposition loved by Beethoven amongst others e,g the Waldstein sonata first movement . Taking it up a key at the end , which I think Ireland’s Call does , takes it to Emajor, the remotest key from Bflat.

Comment

No need to apologise! Interestingly (well it is to me at any rate ) on the occasions when they play both anthems Amhrán na bhFiann​ is in Bflat and Ireland’s Call in Dmajor - Bflat’s mediant . A key juxtaposition loved by Beethoven amongst others e,g the Waldstein sonata first movement . Taking it up a key at the end , which I think Ireland’s Call does , takes it to Emajor, the remotest key from Bflat.
                    Thank you E H. I'm sure Coulter would have planned those key changes - even to the Emajor as the spectators begin to leave the stadium. He was in his first year of a Music degree at Queen's when he left for the glittering lights of London and the Pop scene.
                    But, the steam has gone out of my intended post of last evening. I intended to show that Coulter was already part of the sixties scene well before Ireland's Call. What I posted then was an old record he made while still at Queen's. What came out was a later version by the Capitol Showband, and trying to correct that, is what caused my breakdown. Now, to sort of complete my original intention I'm going to post :

a) Foolin' Time - YouTube​ - which is the Capital version of 1967? Coulter is on piano, and

b) Foolin Time/ Thunderbird - which is an extract of the old Queen's record, made for a students' Rag Day. Thunderbird was a Wagner inspired arrangement of Ride of the Valkyries and Pilgrims' Chorus from Tannhauser ( rather good I thought, but not heard here).

I hope all turns out this time.​

PS This Queen's record is now a collector's item. I lent mine and never got it back again! This is the first time I have heard it since the early sixties.
                    Last edited by Padraig; 25-02-24, 17:54.

Comment

Thank you E H. I'm sure Coulter would have planned those key changes - even to the Emajor as the spectators begin to leave the stadium. He was in his first year of a Music degree at Queen's when he left for the glittering lights of London and the Pop scene.
                      But, the steam has gone out of my intended post of last evening. I intended to show that Coulter was already part of the sixties scene well before Ireland's Call. What I posted then was an old record he made while still at Queen's. What came out was a later version by the Capitol Showband, and trying to correct that, is what caused my breakdown. Now, to sort of complete my original intention I'm going to post :

a) Foolin' Time - YouTube​ - which is the Capital version of 1967? Coulter is on piano, and

b) Foolin Time/ Thunderbird - which is an extract of the old Queen's record, made for a students' Rag Day. Thunderbird was a Wagner inspired arrangement of Ride of the Valkyries and Pilgrims' Chorus from Tannhauser ( rather good I thought, but not heard here).

I hope all turns out this time.​

PS This Queen's record is now a collector's item. I lent mine and never got it back again! This is the first time I have heard it since the early sixties.
                      Thanks Padraig . When the Trivial Pursuit question comes up “who’s the only composer to write a National Anthem and a Eurovision (second ) prizewinner there can only be one answer. It should have won but the Germans cast all their votes for Spain. ‘Nuff said. The winner La,La,La as well as having not much in the way of lyrics over relies on a cycle of fifths.

I mean in the Cliff song they get Congratulations to rhyme with Jubilations - verbal genius (of a sort) surely .,

Comment

Thanks Padraig . When the Trivial Pursuit question comes up “who’s the only composer to write a National Anthem and a Eurovision (second ) prizewinner there can only be one answer. It should have won but the Germans cast all their votes for Spain. ‘Nuff said. The winner La,La,La as well as having not much in the way of lyrics over relies on a cycle of fifths.

I mean in the Cliff song they get Congratulations to rhyme with Jubilations - verbal genius (of a sort) surely .,
                        Yes E H, Coulter is a bit of a clever clogs - his second place was his biggest success, even surpassing Puppet on a String which Won Eurovision. But he didn't write a National Anthem.

Comment

Yes E H, Coulter is a bit of a clever clogs - his second place was his biggest success, even surpassing Puppet on a String which Won Eurovision. But he didn't write a National Anthem.
                          Oops good point ! Various relatives now spinning in graves.
                          Mind you this was my normally reliable source Wiki

"Ireland's Call" is a song by Phil Coulter used as a national anthem by some sports competitors representing the island of Ireland, originally and most notably the men's rugby union team.

Last edited by Ein Heldenleben; 26-02-24, 17:53.

Comment

"Ireland's Call" is a song by Phil Coulter used as a national anthem by some sports competitors representing the island of Ireland, originally and most notably the men's rugby union team.
                            Best of luck tomorrow E H.
                            I think it's not right that Ireland have the advantage of 1 National Anthem to Nil, even before the match starts, plus a home crowd in full throat. I'm not happy either that the Irish team is over-dominated by Leinster men with few if any Ulster players selected. But sure it's only a game, isn't it? And don't the English love a challenge!

Comment

I forgot to mention -

Speaking of the 60s and pop music of the time, it was not so long ago then that pop music had developed from what the likes of Coulter were used to. Someone mentioned Delia Murphy recently and she was typical of what we boys would listen to in late forties early fifties. I knew all her songs then and though I came to scoff at myself when sophisticates like the Dubliners and the Clancy Brothers came along I now appreciate Delia's art and her local attitude to her music and her audience; what care she took with her performances, her diction, her dialect; and the way she included her listeners like they were in the village hall with her on an Irish Friday. This one was sung by us in our house many a time but never better.

78 RPM - Delia Murphy - Three Lovely Lassies (1950) - YouTube

Comment

Best of luck tomorrow E H.
                                I think it's not right that Ireland have the advantage of 1 National Anthem to Nil, even before the match starts, plus a home crowd in full throat. I'm not happy either that the Irish team is over-dominated by Leinster men with few if any Ulster players selected. But sure it's only a game, isn't it? And don't the English love a challenge!
                                Yes well you raise a very interesting point for those born in England but with Irish parents. Essentially I want England to win but I don’t mind if Ireland win - which let’s face it is a handy position to have given tomorrow’s likely outcome. If Wales or Scotland beat England though I mind very much indeed. Both father and grandfather turned out for London Irish in the days when rugby balls had laces and sport wasn’t taken so seriously. Or maybe it was ….When Munster beat the All Blacks it ushered in what seemed to be a week long celebration in the household . It’s a long way from Tipperary to South East London but some loyalties never wither…..
                                PS my mum was from Ulster and didn’t give a stuff about rugby.

Comment

Working...
                                X