Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    Strange isn't it some of the people who get a mention here. My Kbatt would be so pleased.
    I'm mightily surprised that he hasn't wombled over and asked to be a buddy, Global - that Bruce guy played good piano - get him over too - we could do with the company.
    .....and thanks for the Fanshawe link zola - that looks interesting.

Comment

Hoover Hall Of Fame

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
        Well that's kind of interesting I'll check out the Dyson equivalent later...

[pauses and waits for some kind of vacuum/cyclone gag from JC]

Zola - are you sure that shouldn't be spelt Fetherstonehaugh?

Comment

>>I'll check out the Dyson equivalent later...
          Not forgetting :

Comment

Well that's kind of interesting I'll check out the Dyson equivalent later...

[pauses and waits for some kind of vacuum/cyclone gag from JC]
            Thanks Global - at this moment in time I was worried that it might be too obvious so I'll wait till later to belt one out.

Comment

Originally posted by zola View Post
              Anyway, another of those buried away on Radio 4 programmes that may be of interest to some here. It's about David Fanshawe.

Philip Sweeney finds out about the pioneering composer of African Sanctus David Fanshawe.

seriously though that's a great link - thanks for posting, would have missed it otherwise.

Comment

Yes, that looks a very good programme. On to matters more commercial. Well, actually, on to one of this week's Dundee references on the BBC. Is it about to become another Salford?

"Ricky Ross.....explains to presenter Jonathan Maitland that his association of Glasgow with rain was inspired partly by shock - shock at how wet the weather was in the city when he moved there from Dundee".

Lyrical Journey - Raintown - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015cpfy

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                  "Ricky Ross.....explains to presenter Jonathan Maitland that his association of Glasgow with rain was inspired partly by shock - shock at how wet the weather was in the city when he moved there from Dundee".

Lyrical Journey - Raintown - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015cpfy
                  That was interesting Lat, though I felt no sense of belonging to the song. I was not aware of having heard it before though I knew of the Band - some of them drank in a pub I went to back in them old days. But I left Glasgow the year before that came out moving in the opposite direction and my experience was Ricky's in reverse. We loved the move away from the rain - indeed in the years since when we considered a move back west it was the lack of rain that kept us here. With climate change this area is becoming much wetter. This year I saw no irrigators out in the fields and they have become less common these last few years as the rain stretches over here. So Raintown felt like an ecological song for me though I know it has nothing to do with that. Enjoyed it. Thanks Lat
                  Last edited by johncorrigan; 06-10-11, 23:12. Reason: taking a rain check

Comment

Thanks JC. I enjoyed the programme. As you will have heard, it went a bit further than the song itself. I had no idea that Tayside and the wider areas were dry. What an ignoramus. Begs the question if there are any songs about that too.

I was three years out of uni and hence in work so I too had returned to the old place. That meant south but my head was full of the north as it had worked out well for me. Wasn't at all sure that it had been right to return. While I had been attending gigs for quite a few years, in 87-88 I really stepped it up a gear. From late 87 I was working in Central London essentially to pay for nights of music. Naturally, after student house shares with Peel on the radio, and the NME a regular read, I was very into indie and that was the thing of our era. Radcliffe and Riley still capture some of that for me on 6music.

I also went back in memory to the early 70s and while there were now nuances to sign up to - you can like this, you can't like that - the earlier period always mattered musically. Some saw this as a bit alarming. You mentioned AK's comment about Simple Minds. Up to and including Street Fighting Years....well, let's just say I stuck with them far longer than most thought appropriate. What with the Wedding Present, the Jesus and Mary Chain gigs etc, my huge enthusiasm for the Deacon Blue debut was not exactly welcomed either but I fully stand by it and I don't care that it was never hip. Whoa, whoa, whoa!

See, there had been Lindisfarne. November '82 was about ten years too late to have seen them live and have felt cool about it. So great were they though in my first uni term that in the December I went for a day from Croydon to Newcastle to see them again at the City Hall. Then I came home on what effectively was the milk train. Lindisfarne were Newcastle. In '88 Raintown did something similar. At that time Ross and Co were a band who were Glasgow to me. It was evocative. It sort of linked too in my mind with the Pogues who were my big favourites - A Rainy Night in Soho etc. And then there was "Dignity" which sort of summed up the lot of the local authority worker - my Dad - and what I was becoming professionally much against my better judgement.

Oh dear. Too much nostalgia but there it is. I felt quite emotional this morning when he did that new version at the end of the programme. It was magnificent. And now it turns out that he is a good bloke with a great show on the radio. It seems to confirm I was right to be dogmatic for once. This is a favourite from one of the other albums and like all of theirs it is on the borders of taste. I can understand why many would hate it - http://open.spotify.com/track/5XZJfotZlO7CmqG6DEFHXd. Incidentally, Cerys is doing a programme on R4 about her passion for fishing. It's a funny sort of place, Thompson's BBC.
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-10-11, 00:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                      Ross and Co were a band who were Glasgow to me. It was evocative.

This is a favourite from one of the other albums and like all of theirs it is on the borders of taste. I can understand why many would hate it - http://open.spotify.com/track/5XZJfotZlO7CmqG6DEFHXd. Incidentally, Cerys is doing a programme on R4 about her passion for fishing. It's a funny sort of place, Thompson's BBC.
                      Those West End Glasgow bands - ten a penny by that time and of course we came across the members in day to day life....folk living in the same close as the Kanes, or being pals with a Wets brother, or Art School pals of OJ - I was heading for AK and Hank Williams. Funnily I loved the Minds first record and never listened to anything after that though pals I introduced them to kept trying to play me later stuff. ( I felt a bit guilty about it Lat).

Cerys and fishing - that's a different angle.

....and with the last faltering breath of the Beeb, R6 gives us an hour in the company of Bob's pal this coming Sunday - Cerys then Robbie....nice.
                      Robbie Robertson shares the musical milestones of his life. First broadcast in 2011.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      Last edited by johncorrigan; 07-10-11, 09:30. Reason: drivin' a bit of dixie

Comment

Interesting. There was a lot of Scotland in the charts in those days, wasn't there? I saw Clare Grogan around that time with Universal Love School. Not many though would remember those. Orange Juice were excellent. I was very keen on Postcard records in the early 80s and have followed Edwyn's career throughout. Ditto Aztec Camera and Roddy Frame. High Land Hard Rain remains arguably the best album ever released by a 16 year old. To see them together live after the former's illness was wonderful.

Then further south - but not much - Paddy McAloon. For those who could take on board the abovementioned - indie-ish, acoustic-ish - he was more tricky. In fact, Deacon Blue would have been seen as "another Prefab Sprout" and there was a third there - the group Danny Wilson. A very big emphasis on production, as such not a million miles from the Beach Boys or Steely Dan perhaps. Generally I don't like overly-produced music but there was a special, rather beautiful, subtlety to the Sprout in particular.

PM was - and is - a true genius in a field where that term is overused. It was bad enough to see the terrific Alan Hull pass on so early and then all the health problems of EC. Paddy became almost deaf and blind. That was a terrible, terrible, thing. The man has music in his blood. Those were the years that I was really taking to Dylan, Morrison, Young, Drake, Ochs, finding the less obvious past releases by Junior Walker and the Staple Singers, getting into Keita, N'Dour, the Bhundus etc and learning about Isham and Ackerman. There was a lot going on. I imagine that for many it was the same. I sometimes wonder how we did it pre-internet.

Thanks for the link to Robbie Robertson. It should be great. Cerys is angling on R4 next Wed, 12th, at 11am. The Songwriters' Circle you mentioned is on tonight on BBC4 at 10pm. Just before it, Lightfoot, Nilsson etc in a programme and immediately after it, a documentary on Nilsson. There's Later on 2 with some interesting guests including Laura Marling, the Silver Seas, Little Roy and Tony Bennett. Saturday Live on R4 at 9am - not a programme I like generally - has Bob Harris doing Inheritance Tracks.
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-10-11, 01:28.

Comment

Cerys was pretty good today, shame she chopped off the John Coltrane track, and Jackie Oates took a track or 2 to get going.

Still gets a bit radio deejay'ish for me (birthdays, dedications and all that) but that is just my personal pref not a criticism of her show - the big positive is that I'm sure she broadens people's tastes. Quite a lot of people.
                          What a shame there isn't a messageboard for her show over there...

Comment

Still gets a bit radio deejay'ish for me (birthdays, dedications and all that)
                            Too many slots for my liking too Global - cookery, poetry, Blues Hall of Fame (I'm fine with that one), Reggae vinyl bit, somebody talking 'bout cultcha, she even had a guide to odd instruments the other week which she's proposing to continue ( she wasn't as good at it as Mary Ann on her GG)....and then there's a guest usually. She's always got loads of ideas - wish she'd just get the tunes on.

I was talking about a Joan Baez record my dad bought in the early sixties somewhere on the board. That second track that Jackie Oates did 'The Trees they do go high'(she did it on MAK last week too) was on that record too - Joan did a great version - http://open.spotify.com/track/0QGAwxTpi60lvaBMjY7j3Y - but I loved JO's take on it this morning - top stuff.

By the way, while I'm on, Jarvis was in the garden with me today and did a really good half hour on John Lennon who would have been 71 today - mix of songs and poems and the like - the last song I'd never heard before - an outake from somewhere - a cracker.
                            Last edited by johncorrigan; 09-10-11, 18:47. Reason: punky punctuation!

Comment

Enjoyed the Robbie Robertson programme on 6 yesterday and have heard this a couple of times since - didn't know he had been responsible for getting these two pieces stuck together - mighty potent I think!
                              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Terminally unhip perhaps but some there's a Radio 4 programme tomorrow on Hank Marvin !

Jimmy Page, Mark Knopfler, Phil Manzanera and Cliff Richard explore 'The Thing About Hank'

Impressed by Amos Lee on Transatlantic Sessions on Friday, a new name to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X