Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    A Captain Beefheart special viz sounds great Global. The Captain meets the Fat Slags, Captain interviewed by Roger Mellie, Cap plays moothie accompanied by Johnny Fartpants - I think it could be a winner.

In the meantime I stuck a 'note to self and G' in my diary and will remind closer to said anniversary.
    yes.

I'm just back from my local bookshop.
    Dave the owner has a hand-done poster up reminding everyone that it's the first anniversary of Don Van V's death.

You won't get that in many local bookshops.

Especially as he isn't tying that in with a promotion of any 'product'.

Bless him and his ilk.

I was actually looking for books on Ethiopian WM, didn't find any but got some clues, as you can see from the thread on the Jass board.

I'm now going so far off topic it's actually in another sub-forum..

(thanks by the way)

Comment

Cerys played some fine stuff this morning not least Atahualpa Yupanqui which she had great fun trying to pronounce in her wee Welsh accent (I'm still practising it too) - some gamelan and frog chorus from Bali - some Bhundus among lots of others. I was also reminded how good this track by Mick, Keef and the Boys was - Mick really can be a great vocalist when he puts his mind to it.
      Last edited by johncorrigan; 04-12-11, 12:51. Reason: think I've got Atahualpa now - only Yupanqui to go!

Comment

As part of the America season on 4 they advertised this Alexis Korner show, 'The Devil's Music', available on the website. Thought I'd take one in - good to see the other AK though the programme is a bit like an old Open University programme you'd catch in the middle of the night. Anyway this show has Booker White advertised; hadn't heard Bukka called that. The two songs are recorded just before his death - you can see him do a wonderful version of Aberdeen Mississippi Blues, though there's plenty more in the programme to enjoy. Think I'll take in a few more from the series - apparently available to watch till 2038.

Comment

Xmas present from Verity

13/12/11- Late junction

Verity Sharp's selection includes flamenco and lyre music from Ethiopia.

Kronos Quartet in collaboration with Ethiopian begena lyre player Alèmu Aga.

Comment

John, Global,

Ta for the tips. I'll be in the car during part of the VS show - LJ always sounds better to me
            when on the move ... ( why? ) Perhaps I'll even enjoy the old kronos. Alèmu always hits the spot anyway.

Funny seeing the original AK again after all these years - his radio programmes were a fixture 'round here.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post

Funny seeing the original AK again after all these years - his radio programmes were a fixture 'round here.
              He was the original Blues guy for me, Paul. Not sure they make hair like that anymore. Well except for .....
              Last edited by johncorrigan; 06-12-11, 12:04. Reason: I suppose MF is a blues guy too!

Comment

John,
                From the same cafe, Mr F's roll models

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

That would appear to be Korner Corner Paul.

Comment

John,

Just slipped in that non-gem to prove the hair was real !

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                      John,

Just slipped in that non-gem to prove the hair was real !
                      It seemed from reading the comments that it was his son and daughter playing with him, Paul.

Comment

Jarvis opened with this this afternoon and I thought it suitably seasonal to share - that good old radiophonic workshop.

Comment

When the levee breaks, the story of Memphis Minnie with Mark Lamarr. Well worth a listen when it becomes available on listen again.

Mark Lamarr explores the life of blues woman Memphis Minnie.

Comment

Originally posted by zola View Post
                            When the levee breaks, the story of Memphis Minnie with Mark Lamarr. Well worth a listen when it becomes available on listen again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0183t4v
                            Thx, Zola.

They're quite keen on this over on the Jazz thread too - must be good....

Comment

My God. Life's strange. Earlier in the week I was thinking about radio schedules farther afield than Britain. I had started looking at some US radio sites. One thing though kept coming to my mind. Wouldn't it be good to hear a presentation style similar to that of Roger Scott on Capital in the 1970s, almost irrespective of musical content. His natural upbeat but balanced way had always seemed professional and warm. Actually for a while he was London. He was the one who said to the listener that it was good to be in the city. That was how it felt to me. If you go on to Digital Spy you will see that I wasn't alone. There are many tributes, some mentioning that he later moved to Radio 1 but only for a brief time before he died at 46. A big plus, I think, was that he was not a celebrity. Some might say that he had a face for radio but he was never the celebrity kind even though he was a biggish name.

If he was oddly anonymous in that way, though well known, I became aware of two things about him. Taken together, they sort of explained why he presented as he did. One was that he was the son of a music hall artist. The other was that he learnt his trade in Canada. Hence there was that North American smoothness tempered by a London ordinariness which made him seem the genuine thing. It really worked in the non zoo era. With these things in mind, I went to Google this evening with thoughts of finding a Canadian radio station. I typed in "DJs like Roger Scott" and didn't expect anything meaningful to happen. Imagine my surprise to find that he had a son, Graham, who was not only broadcasting on a station called SONiC 1029 in Edmonton, Canada but also one called World FM. Would this be a world music DJ who sounded like Roger Scott? It seemed unbelievable and too good to be true.

And as it turned out it most certainly was. Graham died unexpectedly in June at the age of 38. To make matters worse, his story reveals some uneasy truths about Roger. It pained me somewhat to read it. At the time that his father was being London's sunshine on the radio, his mother died in a car crash allegedly inebriated. Scott senior was having an affair at that stage and junior, aged 3, blamed his father for what occurred. They never got on. At 16, he left home and travelled to Canada, initially trying for a radio career. There were some extraordinary coincidences which are revealed in the article below. I guess we are to assume they are accurate. Then came nearly 20 years in mundane employment before a return to radio as the popular "British voice" on SONiC and World FM. Alas it wasn't to last. Perhaps memories are never permitted to do so either, at least in radio. Sad in a word.

He delivered the goods for five years on SONiC 1029 and World FM. Graham Scott - born in Hammersmith, London, England. Raised in Vancouver, British Columbi...
                              Last edited by Guest; 21-12-11, 09:50.

Comment

Thank you for this post Lat, which although it has only a tenuous connection with World Music does highlight a most important topic which we occasionally discuss but never resolve - the importance of the presenter (I'd prefer not to use the DJ acronym, please pardon my foible) in the context of the programme. Their ability to inform,entertain, educate and stimulate their audience whilst creating a unique atmosphere should not be underestimated.

Now where's my quote about idols with feet of clay....

Comment

Working...
                                X