Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'd have thought a smart r3 presenter might have picked up on this...do they all work for the same corp?

Anyway, Youtoob to the rescue
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erF_3E0ew4I

Comment

I mentioned Gregory Porter on Hootenanny on New Year morn. Here he is doing 'Work Song' and there's a wee bit of Rico for the New Year.
      Jools, &, His, Rhythm, &, Blues, Orchestra, with, Gregory, Porter, 'Work, Song', On, Jools, Holland, Hootenanny, 2011

....and I also mentioned Pokey and the boys on the same show - my wife loves this song. !

Comment

Yesterday on radio 4 there was How Folk Songs Should Be Sung, presented by Martin Carthy. About Ewan MacColl et al, available on listen again or there's a repeat on Saturday.

Folk singer Martin Carthy examines the rise and fall of Ewan MacColl's Critics Group.

On Thursday is the first of a two parter on the underground music of the black power movement in the late 60s, early 70s.

Singer-songwriter Erykah Badu explores the music generated by the Black Power movement.

Also on Thursday on Radio 2 ( !!!! ) the first of a four parter Nitin Sawnhey Spins The Globe. Well, Radio Times says it is the first of a four parter, the website says it is the second episode tomorrow ?

Comment

So much to catch up on, zola.

Lat, there's only a couple of days left on this one but I post it with you in mind in particular. They had a best of 'Scotland in Tune' for Hoggers on Radio Scotty with Barbara Dickson - she's not the best interviewer but you might fancy a listen to Michael Marra which is just after the news about an hour in. Karine Polwart is at the start of the show and Michael McCusker is in there following Mick (he's only on for 7 or 8 minutes). But Mick chooses a really surprising and fine song to be played which I'm away to stick on the new playlist. In the meantime, if you're interested in hearing that smoky drawl it's just a click away.

Comment

Thank you both for these tips. They appeal and I will take a listen.

Comment

Here's Nitin's playlist - apparently the first programme in the set, zola, according to NS. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b018nsdf
              He reminds me a bit of somebody - I think it might be one of the LJ stand-ins they had back in the summer, but he's giving me too much information.
              ....not being a buckley fan I'll probably push gently forward. He used the word 'eclectic' a bit too early on for my liking. I hope it's the start of a regular World Music progs on 2 maybe with different presenters - that no-off switch chappie might be looking for a gig.

Comment

>>I hope it's the start

Roiters :
                "The BBC Trust has instructed R2's legendary Ken Bruce to broadcast two non-english language items per annum"

Comment

Hah, if we're going down the 'you couldn't make it up' path the WORLD SERVICE are going to feature adverts. I suspect there's a thread about it over on Plat. 3 but just to show this quiet corner is disturbed...

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Comment

Terrible news. Really terrible. I wonder if Mark Coles has gone to Switzerland to broadcast somewhere other than in a supermarket.

I am a fan of the late Jeff Buckley. "Grace" is my favourite album of the 1990s. He was very into Nusrat. Once you know it, you can hear it clearly in his remarkable song structures and singing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                      Terrible news. Really terrible. I wonder if Mark Coles has gone to Switzerland to broadcast somewhere other than in a supermarket.

I am a fan of the late Jeff Buckley. "Grace" is my favourite album of the 1990s. He was very into Nusrat. Once you know it, you can hear it clearly in his remarkable song structures and singing.
                      Don't know if it's in my DNA Lat, but I didn't like his Dad's stuff either.

On the World Service front, it's a blinkin' outrage - slightly less than thin end of the wedge. Next they'll have Ken Bruce on the webcam wearing those racing driver type overalls.

Comment

It'll be done by stealth, no doubt, small product placements in those R2 webcam shots

Comment

Wot no llama?

(JC - You can't beat Dolphins)

Comment

Wot no llama?

(JC - You can't beat Dolphins)
                            I don't like their voices Lat - they're in an area that grates on me for some reason - Buckleys that is, not dolphins.

I do however like very much the voice and music of Nick Lowe and have caught him on Danny Baker this morning - a very fine tune or two in there too - just after the 10 o'clock news if you fancy a listen on LA.
                            Last edited by johncorrigan; 07-01-12, 11:21. Reason: that Nick Lowe chap turned up!

Comment

Listened today to Lucy in Mali, the interviews between Mick Marra/Eddi Reader and BD and the programme about MacColl's Critics Group. All worthwhile. Also the Astatke clip which I liked.
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-01-12, 17:23.

Comment

Terrible news. Really terrible. .
                                there is a thread over on Plat. 3 started by Sidney Grew but not much interest...
                                http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...ents-for-trade

odd.

Comment

Working...
                                X