The Unthanks

BEST ALBUM
    Last – The Unthanks
    Purpose & Grace – Martin Simpson
    Ragged Kingdom – June Tabor & Oysterband
    Saturnine – Jackie Oates

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
    The Herring Girl – Bella Hardy
    Last – Adrian McNally (performed by The Unthanks)
    On Morecambe Bay – Kevin Littlewood (performed by Christy Moore)
    The Reckoning – Steve Tilston

BEST TRADITIONAL TRACK
    Bonny Bunch of Roses – June Tabor & Oysterband
    Lakes of Ponchartrain – Martin Simpson
    Maids When You’re Young – Lucy Ward
    Sweet Lover of Mine – Emily Smith

HORIZON AWARD
    Megan Henwood
    Lady Maisery
    Pilgrims’ Way
    Lucy Ward

MUSICIAN OF THE YEAR
    Andy Cutting
    Tim Edey
    Will Pound
    Martin Simpson

BEST LIVE ACT
    Bellowhead
    The Home Service
    Peatbog Faeries
    The Unthanks

BBC RADIO 2 YOUNG FOLK AWARD
    Sunjay Brayne
    Blair Dunlop
    Ioscaid
    Graham Mackenzie

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
    The Dubliners

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
    Don McLean

GOOD TRADITION AWARD
    Ian Campbell

GOOD TRADITION AWARD
    Bill Leader

ROOTS AWARD
    Malcolm Taylor

How do you have a winner in music?

Do they play the fastest or something?

Here is Maurice Garin winning the first ever Tour de France in 1903. He is a winner, looks like he could have done with listening to this though..

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      Do they play the fastest or something?

Here is Maurice Garin winning the first ever Tour de France in 1903. He is a winner, looks like he could have done with listening to this though..

I think they have to gather the most regional food and drink, G.....at least that's what this lot did in the original 'Tour de Gaul', I seem to recall.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        I think they have to gather the most regional food and drink, G.....at least that's what this lot did in the original 'Tour de Gaul', I seem to recall.
        http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
        Now that's a race I'd like to go in for...

Anyway, I'm pleased June Tabor did well, and I was also glad to see both Bill Leader and Lucy Ward receive some recognition (because that's all it is really) at different parts of their musical career ; but a tad disappointed that personal favourites Marry Waterson and Andy Cutting did not do better.
        it's all a bit arbitrary.

Comment

Thanks for this GT. What I like about these competitions and the end of year lists is that they help to keep me updated. I also find it interesting to look at the assessments from many years past and see how consensus views change. As for the competitions themselves, I have no great support for them or opposition. It seems to me though that landmark moments make such things easier. In the year of Buena Vista for example I would not have wanted to argue for anyone else in any world music awards.

Very pleased to see June Tabor picking up the main award. For months though I have been strongly of the view that Ashore is a great album whereas the collaboration with the Oysterband is only good. Bella Hardy's The Herring Girl is a worthy winner of best original song. As for duos, I have more awareness of the three that didn't win and only know that I wouldn't have given an award this year to Spiers and Boden. Ditto the Unthanks in the best group category as we needed some new people winning.

As any year progresses, one senses who it has been decided is ready to be rediscovered from the past. Normally this is with a how could we have missed them for so long, a how could they have come back so renewed or a how could they ever have been dismissed as comparatively lightweight. Ralph McTell seemed to be everywhere at one point in 2011 but perhaps he had already been through that process. In that light, the lifetime award going to Don McLean is not too surprising. I am a bit surprised to see the Dubliners there now, good as they are, and I might also have expected to see a posthumous award going to Bert Jansch.

Comment

And now, courtesy of froots mag.

A free podcast from the March issue,
            http://froots.podomatic.com/

Please click to let them know you appreciate this free music, which you can even download to your computer.

And have a look at
            http://bandcamp.com/

A new model for the digital age - the majority of the price for this digital (high-quality) version of the music is guaranteed to go the artist who made it.
            There is also a name-your-price option.
            Sufjan Stevens is on there, site deserves further investigation...there is world music on there allegedly.

Iconoclastic...

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
              lots of interesting nam es involved in the line up. i would certainly like 'dub me tender' it to be in my collection ... hope the (double) album is featured on one of the r3 progs soon.
              As we predicted...this turned up in Lopa's show last night.

Now this has a bonnet, and it's called Dub, so is clearly relevant...

A Hispano-Suiza Dubonnet Xenia from 1938

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                A Hispano-Suiza Dubonnet Xenia from 1938
                What's this one got under the dub bonnet then?
                Dubonnet "The French Idea of a Cocktail" commercial from the 80's starring Pia Zadora.

Fortunately on a completely different subject, I see Cerys has Christy Moore with her tomorrow morning.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  Fortunately on a completely different subject, I see Cerys has Christy Moore with her tomorrow morning.
                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01bzww4
                  r4 beat her to it...
                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01bsmdd

By an amazing coincidence his latest album is just out...
                  (whoops, sorry got my cynical hat on today).
                  It's comfortable though

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                    I am a bit surprised to see the Dubliners there now, good as they are, and I might also have expected to see a posthumous award going to Bert Jansch.
                    My radar's usually quite good on these things, but I hadn't realised we'd lost him. I've always liked his music paricularly as part of Pentangle.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      My radar's usually quite good on these things, but I hadn't realised we'd lost him. I've always liked his music paricularly as part of Pentangle.
                      Left the planet last October. So Lat is correct, this would have been the proper time and place to make such an award.

Comment

Coming up on Tuesday,

Oilrig's Global Gathering

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01bwgwm

Radio Scotland putting the rest of the BBC to shame with their commitment to World Music...

Comment

Indeed Global. So reassuring that diversity and dexterity in broadcasting is in such sensitive hands

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                            Indeed Global. So reassuring that diversity and dexterity in broadcasting is in such sensitive hands
                            http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jeffzycin...nski-boxer.JPG
                            so he's the man we need to thank...

Comment

Did anyone watch Alexs Krotoski on the Culture Show - talking about the impact of the next billion people coming on-line?

The electrifying comment for me was this point, which I paraphrase..

'At the moment we're all standing in the same aisle in the record store - we tend to group together by existing socio-economic groups.'

this will start to change as people start to discover more about each other, as social networking brings us together. Obviously (!) music is the great connector...so we (by a quick bit of inexact logic - I'm in a hurry) need more World Music programmes, especially from the BBC. that's the BBC who axed their World Service World Music programme. (huh?)

to be continued...
                              Last edited by Globaltruth; 11-02-12, 19:43. Reason: just wanted to post this whilst I thought of it. Memory going.

Comment

Actually, the Global will be coming to a permanent end at the end of March...

Comment

Working...
                                X