Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oilrig View Post
    Actually, the Global will be coming to a permanent end at the end of March...
    I noticed there was stuff about cuts in Radio Scotland production staff OR, but had thought they were affecting news and current affairs. I also see a bit of a wave for the Saturday Morning show developing, but had not seen anything about what they would do in the evening. The suggestion seemed to be that there would be more talk based stuff during the day (phone-ins? hope not) and a re-schedule in the evening. This is a most unfortunate development. GG is a show that I try to listen to regularly and it would be a sad omission from the schedules - I normally find it to have a really good mix, different from Wo3. In general I think RS gets its music balance pretty good in the 8-10 slot in the evening - I await further news with some trepidation.

Comment

This is bad news and a bad decision - but big thanks to Oilrig from a listener for her hard work and commitment over the years which I hope will manifest themselves in some other way that I can experience (that's in addition to Wo3 and Celtic Connections of course)

It's another nail in the coffin for 'World Music' on the BBC - makes me nervous about r3's commitment to WM - which occupies a miniscule portion of their programming already...
      Last edited by Globaltruth; 12-02-12, 10:56.

Comment

I am sorry to hear this news.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
          I am sorry to hear this news.
          There's a bit of an unpleasant trend developing

The Recording Academy has eliminated 31 categories of Grammy Awards, many of which are often won by minorities. A protest rally and alternative concert will be held on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
            There's a bit of an unpleasant trend developing

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society...my-Awards-show
            Quite GT. Tough times.

Thanks for keeping us all posted.

Comment

Oilrig up a mountain alert

http://podge.co.uk/gaelic-singer-mar...ntain-festival

Didn't we get a preview of that Black Snow piece sometime back?

PS will know...

Now who on earth will play it on r3?

(Oilrig far too self-effacing to even consider it)

Comment

http://podge.co.uk/gaelic-singer-mar...ntain-festival

Didn't we get a preview of that Black Snow piece sometime back?

PS will know...

Now who on earth will play it on r3?

(Oilrig far too self-effacing to even consider it)
                They played it in the Playfair Library in Edinburgh, Global.
                NME brings you the latest music and pop culture news and reviews, along with videos and galleries, band features, concert tickets, magazine, radio and more.

Comment

I loved this when it was posted last year and tried to Google it last month. Unfortunately, I was hazy on the detail. Then I looked at the Watercolour site when we were discussing the Campbells and still couldn't find it, probably because of being generally clueless. Thanks for posting it again.

Comment

On yesterday's In tune a rather interesting string trio, Celloman.

Described as fusing classical with world music and jazz, whilst playing African and Middle Eastern rhythms their music certainly caught my attention and is worthy of further investigation. I particularly liked the first track Veena.

The music was better than the interview...how often does that happen?

Here's a piece from Youtube promoting the CD contains some of the music played on In Tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV2V8W0_LLE

Comment

A non-music post

I've posted this here rather than on Arts & Ideas on the basis that it is of interest to WM fans too. Soooo..

on last night's Night Waves

Elif Shafak, one of Turkey's leading young novelists, talked about Sufi, and the particular connection between Rumi and Shams, a dervish he once met, as featured in her new book-within-a-book The 40 Rules of Love.

She spoke clearly and simply about Sufi-ism in a way which was most engaging, I particularly liked her shape analogy (Sufi-ism is circular, other faiths are triangular).
                      She reinforced a key point about Islam - that it has as many different branches as Christianity.

Worth a listen if you are in the slightest bit interested in alternative religions.

I'll find a YouTube piece of whirling dervishes later maybe...
                      Last edited by Globaltruth; 15-02-12, 10:29. Reason: tweaks and twiddles

Comment

Thanks Global - I'll tune in.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                          Thanks Global - I'll tune in.
                          could have done with a bit of incidental music....shame that r3 isn't a World Music station.

Comment

could have done with a bit of incidental music....shame that r3 isn't a World Music station.
                            Shame innit!
                            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Elsewhere, I think it was on this thread, I posted about the removal of certain WM categories from the Grammys. However there were still some categories left, here are the nominees and the winners

http://worldmusic.about.com/od/newsa...oots-Music.htm

Fancy Tinariwen beating AfroCubism and Femi Kuti.

http://folkmusic.about.com/od/grammy...-Americana.htm

http://latinmusic.about.com/b/2011/1...mmy-awards.htm
                              Last edited by Globaltruth; 15-02-12, 15:05.

Comment

Global,
                                Is there a grammy award for sucking eggs ?

Comment

Working...
                                X