Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, if you're stuck for something to listen to while waiting for Verity to strike up the tunes tonight, you could do a lot worse than join David Rodigan for the second of his 'Month of Sundays' programmes on 6 as they continue to celebrate 50 years of Jamaican Independence over there.

Comment

Off the schedules atm, afaik http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z36SsypM2ek

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
        Off the schedules atm, afaik http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z36SsypM2ek
        It crosses my mind, Paul, that there's not enough songs about switches around these days. Looked nice all that sunshine and beer.

Reminded me of me ole fave - Guy goes to the doctor and says, 'Doc, I think I'm a moth!' Doc says, 'Nothin' I can do for you, you'll have to go see the shrink!' Guy says, 'I was on my way there but I saw your light was on!'

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          It crosses my mind, Paul, that there's not enough songs about switches around these days. Looked nice all that sunshine and beer.

Reminded me of me ole fave - Guy goes to the doctor and says, 'Doc, I think I'm a moth!' Doc says, 'Nothin' I can do for you, you'll have to go see the shrink!' Guy says, 'I was on my way there but I saw your light was on!'

Thank you!

Apparently, he was in York earlier this year - http://york.greenparty.org.uk/events/65.

I liked it; reminded me a little of Animals That Swim and a few other creatures.

The Rodigan tip is good too.

Hey, this could be the new Don and Phil! -

One of the famous singers in the world Sting denied his concert in 2011 in Kazakhstan. This song is about this sad situation.Один из известнейших певцов мира...
          Last edited by Guest; 15-08-12, 15:32.

Comment

those two don't need sting! they're fine without the vain and tedious chap from newcastle!

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
              those two don't need sting! they're fine without the vain and tedious chap from newcastle!

Yes, hf, why he didn't go was for a good enough reason - the human rights of mineworkers - but that it was him who didn't go was good enough reason to include the clip with few scruples. Good fun I thought.

There is 'Cathy's Clown' in there somewhere, of that I am sure, but there might well have been in the mega-selling original.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Actually, I was looking for some proper world music from that country and just happened to alight here!

Comment

Heard a trail tonight in the car and that home of World Music rollickin' Radio 2 has an Introduction to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan this evening at 10 pm introduced by Nitin Sawhney - I was surprised, I have to say - so much so that I thought I should post it.

Comment

nusrat's music was great.

i was listening to r3 waiting for 'world roots' last night, when a man abruptly came on, and casually announced that 'world roots' was being missed out, evidently because another man with voice strain wanted to sing in a foreign language instead!

i had to turn it off. having first sat through susie orbach, with that dreadful philip ? chairing. imv he is a truelly dreadful chair, makes the dimmest comments ever imaginable..... and so rude! (where ever did the beeb find him)?

Comment

nusrat's music was great.
                    I thought it was very interesting and really well presented by NS - obviously a big fan. I enjoyed Jeff Buckley's attempt to take requests to do NFAK songs live.

:i was listening to r3 waiting for 'world roots' last night, when a man abruptly came on, and casually announced that 'world roots' was being missed out, evidently because another man with voice strain wanted to sing in a foreign language instead!
                    Oh right that's what happened, handsome! I just assumed that they had decided to continue the Evil Theme of 'Words and Music' earlier in the evening and inflict a bit of nastiness on us WR listeners. I mean they only hit us for a half-hour on Friday night which is small beer for us during the all-important Promenading season.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                      I thought it was very interesting and really well presented by NS - obviously a big fan. I enjoyed Jeff Buckley's attempt to take requests to do NFAK songs live.
                      Yes, an enjoyable programme. No words could do justice to Nusrat's voice. It was quite simply glorious. When I first heard Tery Bina (Nothing Without You), I played it repeatedly. I did the same with Tera Bin (nahin lagda dil mera) in all its versions.

Few people have so obviously had music in their DNA as Nusrat. It really came from his soul. It is such a shame that both he and Jeff died so young. There was no time for toe-curling collaborations but they could have given the world very much more.

Regrettably I never saw them live but I did see Rizwaan-Qawwali. They weren't Nusrat but they were still magnificent. In fact, I have lived ever since with unearthly vibrations. Hearing qawwali music live should be on every 'things to do in your lifetime' list!
                      Last edited by Guest; 21-08-12, 00:39.

Comment

Really into this again now. Further to my last post, here's Jeff Buckley's fabulous 'Last Goodbye'. It makes a completely different kind of sense when you know the Nusrat influence. Actually, I could imagine Nusrat singing it or at least singing somewhere in it -

Here are two Terrys -

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

This is the best version in my opinion!Watch my music onwww.youtube.com/music4cause

And, yes, I do love the Gaudi dub treatment -

(Can someone advise me which key the Gaudi one is in please?)
                        Last edited by Guest; 20-08-12, 23:33.

Comment

(Can someone advise me which key the Gaudi one is in please?)[/QUOTE]

i can't personally, but i bet there's a boffin around who can tell you lat!

here's to nasrat and the end of ramadan, beginning of eid.

Comment

I see Cerys is having a calypso special tomorrow morning, I suppose to mark Nottinghill weekend.
                            Cerys is joined by Calypso aficionado Richard Noblett for a bank holiday calypso special.

Comment

Eighty musicians, one train and a string of stops across Britain. This could be the most extraordinary tour of the year, says Caspar Llewellyn Smith

Some good people on this six date tour:

http://www.africaexpress.co.uk/

and, if you're thinking of going, a quote from the website:
                              The lineup rotates so please see individual venue sites for specific artists at each concert
                              hmm...
                              Last edited by Globaltruth; 26-08-12, 08:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                                http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...ound-for-glory

Some good people on this six date tour:

http://www.africaexpress.co.uk/

and, if you're thinking of going, a quote from the website:

hmm...
                                Yes, there are some good people. I have never seen Tony Allen, Bassekou Kouyate or Baaba Maal live. I don't though relish the idea of Kings Cross.

My World Music 'disappointed not to have seen live yet' list would be quite a long one. Yasmin Levy, Teddy Afro, Cheb Mami and Ana Moura are four that immediately spring to mind. There are many others.

Comment

Working...
                                X